Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once jerzymade's Avatar

Default Re: Handling the ball?

not just dribbling but don't be afraid to make mistakes , if your not making any mistakes then your not going hard. Mistakes make you a better player, so when you make a mistake while developing your handles be happy because your getting better

Saw a basketball once

I wanna know how the NBA player's handle the ball cuz to me it looks like they use their whole hand. And I wanted to know what's the best way of handling the ball with just your fingers or pads of hands? Thanks

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Bballer360
    I wanna know how the NBA player's handle the ball cuz to me it looks like they use their whole hand. And I wanted to know what's the best way of handling the ball with just your fingers or pads of hands? Thanks
    I'd definitely say not just your fingers. As ballhandlers, we want to maximize control. This doesn't mean palming the ball or striking it with our entire hand with each dribble, but it certainly won't mean only using our fingertips at all times.

Good High School Starter Saintsfan1992's Avatar

Learning to shoot layups

The best way to increase ball control is definitely two ball dribbling, just pound the ball ~100 times a day in your warmup. Other dribbling drills are good but two ball dribbling increases your control the most. As to why you're making so many turnovers, I think its just game experience. When I got cut from my high school team freshman year, I practiced 2-3 hours every day until my school's summer basketball program. However, I didn't get to play any games because my outside team ended in eigth grade, so when I played my first 5 games or so I was always in a rush to get rid of the ball and always threw it away, but in the most recent tournament I calmed down a bit and did a lot better.

Saw a basketball once

Yo guys my dribbling is terrible I can't get control of the ball it bounces to high it bounces to my body them I carry I can't get good control with my hand on the ball can y'all give me some tips all help is appreciated thanks

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by magic14
    I think its just game experience. When I got cut from my high school team freshman year, I practiced 2-3 hours every day until my school's summer basketball program. However, I didn't get to play any games because my outside team ended in eigth grade, so when I played my first 5 games or so I was always in a rush to get rid of the ball and always threw it away, but in the most recent tournament I calmed down a bit and did a lot better.
    I think that's a good point and often overlooked by youngsters. Practicing ballhandling on your own is always a great idea, just like working on your shot. However, I do not believe isolated practice will always translate over into games. There are countless factors that occur in games that cannot be accounted for in dribbling or shooting drills. Therefore game experience, as you mentioned, should not be underrated.

Sometimes it's just a matter of failing, figuring out why you failed, then making the proper adjustments to make sure it doesn't happen again. At that point, you will be hopeful that the ballhandling skills you've worked on will allow you to make the adjustments needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bballer360
    Yo guys my dribbling is terrible I can't get control of the ball it bounces to high it bounces to my body them I carry I can't get good control with my hand on the ball can y'all give me some tips all help is appreciated thanks
    It sounds as if you may really benefit from "pounding" drills. Of course, any ballhandling practice should be beneficiary, but for those who cannot seem to control it on the regular bounce (it's a more common problem than we think) pounding is a good place to start.

Just like I warm up my body with layups, stretching, and jumpshots, I like to warm up my ballhandling before games by pounding the rock in my hand. This means I push it to the floor as hard as I can. If we think about it, what's going to be easier to defend - someone who dribbles in slow motion or someone who dribbles with emphasis and a purpose? Learning to really pound the rock will train your hands and your body to prepare for a decisive dribble. Over time, your hands and your mind will be able to bounce the ball down and back up without an issue.

The idea is, in a game situation, you probably won't be pounding the rock every trip down the court. However, since your hands will be used to dribbling very hard, handling a regular dribble shouldn't be an issue. Just remember, the harder and lower you dribble, the nastier your results are going to be (in a good way).
    Last edited by Rake2204; 08-09-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Serious playground baller

Work on dribbling two ball down the court as fast as you can. Do this dribbling low which you need when dribbing through traffic and high which helps when the defender is behind you. Check out my man Ryan in the video below. It starts off with some full court work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irH4mmbS31g

Saw a basketball once

How do you dribble the ball with the whole hand without it touching you palm?

Just adding to what Rake said. you don't always have to pound the ball in games, but it's good to have that skill so when you need to you can. the most effective basketball players who don't just have insane athleticism are always the one who change speeds the best... and changing speeds with your dribbles it's the same principle.

change speeds

low dribble

use arm bar to shield

use eyes and head for misdirection

practice fake dribble and explode left and right

turn ur back to them, fakes then explode

Saw a basketball once Hollowman's Avatar

Confidence is a big thing with dribbling. I play for a team here in England and it's something I am trying to improve on all the time. Start with the basics, keeping up your shield, dribbling low, using your weak hand etc.

Once your confidence is up and your happy that you won't easily get the ball stole from you, then you can start learning more advanced techniques.

NBA Superstar

To reiterate what others have said, I feel it's worth noting that dribbling low to the ground is huge. Clearly, when sprinting down court, your dribble will naturally be higher. But when executing moves in a tight space, it is common for ballhandlers to believe their dribble is lower than it actually is.

The truth is a sharp crossover dribble is probably going to happen between your knees and ankles. For those struggling to complete basketball dribbling maneuvers under control, experiment with dribbling lower than you think you should be. And as lame as some of you may believe taping yourself practicing basketball may be, it could be quite beneficial. I know in my 8th grade brother's regard, he felt as if his crossover dribble was quite low enough. Upon seeing tape of himself playing, it was clear that what he felt and how it actually looked did not match up (his dribble often neared waist-high levels).
    Last edited by Rake2204; 08-09-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    To reiterate what others have said, I feel it's worth noting that dribbling low to the ground is a huge. Clearly, when sprinting down court, your dribble will naturally be higher. But when executing moves in a tight space, it is common for ballhandlers to believe their dribble is lower than it actually is.
    X2, a good rule of thumb is have your shoulders lower than your defenders.