Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Kobe Bryant scores 61 points against Knicks in Madison Square Garden

My whole thing is that I don't understand when Kobe does something significant MJ is always dragged in then stupid debates start to no end.

Kobe hit 61 -- most ever in MSG. That's a pretty good accomplishment no matter how bad the defense was. Especially for a guy who's been playing 13 years.

i don't think this thread was started to deify Kobe, just to give him props for this one game.

Root Of All Evil

Default Re: Kobe Freaking Bryant!

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    Good point. He deserves some praise for that. In determining which player had the best 60-point performances, it depends on your perspective. I think it would be harder for Kobe to accomplish what MJ did than for MJ to do what Kobe did.

There have been many times MJ could have done more but didn't have the desire to push it all the way. A good example is Game 1 of the NBA Finals against Portland in 1992. If MJ had Kobe's mentality and his eye on the record books, he would have crushed his own record of 63 and probably gone for 70 even as Portland waved the white flag. Clearly MJ put on the brakes after halftime -- scoring only 3 (I think) in the second half. And that's against a Finals opponent. Don't think he could have done that against the old Sacramento Kings (Kenny Smith edition) or the LA Clippers (pretty much ANY year until he retired)?

It takes a different kind of person to get so worked up over scoring against such weak competition as a 22 win team or a 35 win team. It's not that it's not impressive, it's that most of his great scoring outbursts are limited to these. That, and the fact that far too often he doesn't bring that same efficiency against the better teams.

If Kobe scores 60 vs the Celtics or Cavs this week, you won't hear a peep out of me.
    I totally agree. And as I stated in another thread, Kobe's my second favorite hooper od all time and I completely agree. I'd love to see him do this against ELITE competition. Or under the real bright lights and pressure on the biggest stage in the Playoffs.

Root Of All Evil

Default Re: Kobe Bryant scores 61 points against Knicks in Madison Square Garden

Quote Originally Posted by chopchop20
    My whole thing is that I don't understand when Kobe does something significant MJ is always dragged in then stupid debates start to no end.

Kobe hit 61 -- most ever in MSG. That's a pretty good accomplishment no matter how bad the defense was. Especially for a guy who's been playing 13 years.

i don't think this thread was started to deify Kobe, just to give him props for this one game.
    13 seasons have to do with it? He's only 30 years old in the grand scheme of things. He's still a young kat.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    13 seasons have to do with it? He's only 30 years old in the grand scheme of things. He's still a young kat.
    Yeah but that takes a toll on your knees and body -- look at Vince and T-Mac, even Dwade has slowed some.

I was at the Garden and it was incredible! I was far from the court but the crowd was very loud, it felt like a home game for the lakers at the end of the fourth during that standing ovation. Nonetheless, I enjoyed his pull up jumpers, it just shows what a great player kobe is to put up a show like that at any given time.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    oldest 30-yr-old in the history of the NBA.

I am so sick of my country.
    So I finally read an article about the NBA and Kobe's performance last night, and they dare to call his nickname as "King Kobe".
    That's it, I'm movin to the US as soon as I get a chance to.

Quote Originally Posted by bisk
    So I finally read an article about the NBA and Kobe's performance last night, and they dare to call his nickname as "King Kobe".
    but you guys have GREAT beer there!!?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
    but you guys have GREAT beer there!!?
    fk it, I'll get used to Bud or so..

Dunking on everybody in the park gabeh1018's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chopchop20
    Yeah but that takes a toll on your knees and body -- look at Vince and T-Mac, even Dwade has slowed some.

you think so??

i think since the Olympics and up until this point, he looks better and faster than ever...

Da Mavs

Quote Originally Posted by gabeh1018
    you think so??

i think since the Olympics and up until this point, he looks better and faster than ever...
    Yeah, D-Wade is on the rise if anything. If the NBA had a comeback of the season award, it would go to him.

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

There's still great beer here, just have to search a little harder.

Kobe Bryant = Best Scorer in the New Millennium.