Default Pro-hop/jumpstop or 1-2 step

Hey guys,

Appreciate y'all comments and advices on helping me and anybody who reads this forums improve our game. Lol, you guys are probably sick of me posting all these threads but thanks for keeping up with me.

Back to topic, does anyone have any preference between these two moves and when you guys use each one? Pro hop is when you just hop and land on both feet and shoot/pass etc. 1-2 step is just right foot, left foot.. Right hand finish reverse for left etc.

I noticed that D-Rose uses a lot of pro-hop then crazy windmill layup. Is this really the most efficient way in finishing near the basket? My theory is that use pro hop if there's not much space and use 1-2 step for an open lane.

Thoughts?

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Pro-hop/jumpstop or 1-2 step

Are you referring to the 1-2 step as a two-foot takeoff, just with both feet not setting simultaneously? Or by 1-2 step do you mean one step, then second step to one-footed takeoff? If you're referring to the latter, I prefer exploding in the paint off one foot whenever possible, for it allows me to harness a high amount of force, power, and momentum.

However, if you're referring to the jumpstop and 1-2 step as both two foot takeoffs (only the 1-2 having a staggered jump stop) then I'd choose the 1-2. I very rarely come to a pronounced simultaneous jump stop. It seems to zap my body of momentum and power. If I'm jumping off two feet, it'll be a one-two step more times than not, just for the sake of control and explosion.

Learning to shoot layups

Hey keep posting lol every1 here to get advice

For me i usually go 1-2 step. But its alot easier to get the ball ripped out from underneath you by a defender so when driving to the lane, you gotta know how to protect the ball really well.

The hop step for me gets me where i want to go and creates space all in one move. But i only use it when i want to finish on the opposite side of the rim, (this is just how it pertains to me) For example. im left handed so iil hop step with my left hand and switch the ball to my right hand and lay it in. Only time i really use it.

I think for me going in 1-2 gives me more options and i can read the defense. also im not derrick rose athletic so im not gonna be reverse laying-up and other things like that

NBA rookie of the year

The jumpstop gives you the most options in a crowd (you can plant and then leap in any direction, or declare either foot your pivot foot and execute any number of fakes or shots). Plus, a guy like DRose is a way better leaper off two feet anyway, so this helps him.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Being taught to 1-2 power now that I'm playing in a higher level. Still like to use the pro-hop though.

attacking the rim off two feet is a lot better when there are shot blockers around. you have more balance in the air and can take contact a lot better.

the jumpstop allows you to choose your whichever pivotfoot you want. Hakeem Olajuwon always says to use a jumpstop to make yourself more unpredictable
    watch his tutorial with Dwight on youtube and he talks about it. It can get you out of trouble when you are in the lane and you dont have an opportunity to score and need to get the ball out quick

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

[FONT="Arial Black"]Hakeem Guru[/FONT]