Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Default South Park season 17, 09/25/13

Not sure how many of you feel you have "outgrown" this show. but in a couple weeks, the 17th season of one of my all time favorite shows will begin. whats going to be different than prior seasons, is that this season wasnt split into two sets of 7 episodes, spring and fall. instead, its going to be one 10 episode season beginning in the end of this month. the reason they decided to do it this way is because they said they wanted to write 10 episodes that they were sincerely proud of, instead of having "filler" episodes littered throughout the season like seasons prior.

So fans who feel the show has grown stale over the past years will hopefully be pleasantly surprised with this upcoming one.

Banned

Default Re: South Park season 17, 09/25/13

The show isn't as consistently funny as it was in the earlier seasons, but it's still one of the best show's on TV. There are plenty of recent episodes that stand up as some of the best ever (Ass-burgers) and I think the show now is better than in seasons 10-11.

Really excited for this, but I'm just going to wait for the entire season.

Banned

Still a great show thanks for the heads up.

Banned

There are gonna be terrible episodes this season. It's an inevitable reality. Really hope that they hit more than miss.

   

holy hell... i didn't realise they had the full episodes online.
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes

haven't seen this show in years... got damn.

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

They really need to make more than 6 new shows and then disappear into reruns for the next six months.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    holy hell... i didn't realise they had the full episodes online.
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes

haven't seen this show in years... got damn.
    yeah southparkstudios is way legit. enjoy

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Been watching since the beginning. I'm looking forward to this. This was the longest hiatus they ever had.

Just lost interest about 8 years ago. Too many duds to sift through every season. Although I'd be down for another movie.

Deity ★ Persona Hoodlum Science's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    Not sure how many of you feel you have "outgrown" this show. but in a couple weeks, the 17th season of one of my all time favorite shows will begin. whats going to be different than prior seasons, is that this season wasnt split into two sets of 7 episodes, spring and fall. instead, its going to be one 10 episode season beginning in the end of this month. the reason they decided to do it this way is because they said they wanted to write 10 episodes that they were sincerely proud of, instead of having "filler" episodes littered throughout the season like seasons prior.

So fans who feel the show has grown stale over the past years will hopefully be pleasantly surprised with this upcoming one.
    I can appreciate the quality > quantity ideology Matt and Trey are pitching here, but my gut tells me us fans are going to be left with 10 episodes of mostly average combined with one or two "classics" and again, combined with one or two duds. Are we in-store for 10 straight across the board "great" episodes ... I highly, HIGHLY doubt it. Not going to hold my breath.

As much as I love South Park, I never want to see it end, but at some point or another, all great things do. Maybe it's just time?

Every single season, there's a handful of classics, and I'm good with that. Better than nothing, I suppose?

I've said it in other threads before, but even though I still enjoy the show, it just seems too douchey to me in the recent seasons. Almost hipsterish in its criticisms of everything mainstream. The show used to be based on funny things that happened to its characters, and funny things that happened around the city. But now every episode is pop culture, pop culture, pop culture, politics, politics, politics, pop culture.

It's just a lot easier for things to seem dated when EVERY episode is about some current event, trend or celebrity. There's general satire like they've always done, and then there's their recent level of satire that's always referencing something in the "here and now" that won't even be funny in 2-3 years. For example I can still watch GENERAL satire like Sexual Harrassment Panda, Cartman Joins NAMBLA, Red Man's Greed, There Goes the Neighborhood etc and theyr'e still as funny as ever because those are based on general topics like racism, frivolous lawsuits and other things that are always relevant. But episodes that are made about the PSP (old), the release of the Nintendo Wii (old), the 2008 election (old), the BP oil spill (old), the Jonas Bros (old), High School Musical (old), the Indiana Jones sequels (old) etc...it's just not as funny once that thing is forgotten/not relevant anymore. The first few seasons are timeless IMO, but the past few seasons are already dated/less funny

My favorite show still!

NBA rookie of the year Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar

Like everyone has said, the show just seems to not have the same tone anymore. B-Low put it well in that they do sound "douchey" now, like every episode is about the new popular thing.

What made south park funny is that in the early seasons, they did talk about current issues, but they actually plot of that current episode could still be funny even if you didn't know exactly what they were talking about, that doesn't happen anymore.

And also it was a lot funnier when the boys didn't know what they were talking about of doing, like cartman not knowing what semen was and having to "suck it out of a tube" to give to the seamonkeys. Their ignorance to sex, drugs, etc was what made the show hilarious. Now they just sound like arrogant elitists that look down on everybody. Theres a difference between criticize/satire and being arrogant/douchey, the show leans more to the latter now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
    Like everyone has said, the show just seems to not have the same tone anymore. B-Low put it well in that they do sound "douchey" now, like every episode is about the new popular thing.

What made south park funny is that in the early seasons, they did talk about current issues, but they actually plot of that current episode could still be funny even if you didn't know exactly what they were talking about, that doesn't happen anymore.

And also it was a lot funnier when the boys didn't know what they were talking about of doing, like cartman not knowing what semen was and having to "suck it out of a tube" to give to the seamonkeys. Their ignorance to sex, drugs, etc was what made the show hilarious. Now they just sound like arrogant elitists that look down on everybody. Theres a difference between criticize/satire and being arrogant/douchey, the show leans more to the latter now.
    Right. I said that a little while back too. That it was funnier when the boys acted like kids when they were young and naive. The example I gave was the Cartman Joins NAMBLA episode. The whole humor of it was that the guys were obviously pedophiles, but the boys thought they were just meeting mature new friends. If it happened in the later seasons Stan woulda just said "dude they're obviously pedophiles" and the whole episode woulda just been them talking shit about the NAMBLA guys. Same with the when they were trying to find an erection for Kyle's dad, when they were trying to shoot the talking whale into space etc. They just seem like a bunch of hipster assholes now

NBA rookie of the year Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Right. I said that a little while back too. That it was funnier when the boys acted like kids when they were young and naive. The example I gave was the Cartman Joins NAMBLA episode. The whole humor of it was that the guys were obviously pedophiles, but the boys thought they were just meeting mature new friends. If it happened in the later seasons Stan woulda just said "dude they're obviously pedophiles" and the whole episode woulda just been them talking shit about the NAMBLA guys. Same with the when they were trying to find an erection for Kyle's dad, when they were trying to shoot the talking whale into space etc. They just seem like a bunch of hipster assholes now
    Or when stan was doing the red rocket with his dog. Yea I honestly wouldn't care if the show ended at this point.

Gotta watch some old eps now.