Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Why do players block shots hard instead of grabbing the ball out of the air?

Quote Originally Posted by garubu

Your username sounds like a Japanese person trying to pronounce "grab," which makes your contribution all the better.

Default Re: Why do players block shots hard instead of grabbing the ball out of the air?

I can't believe this thread is still going. Those who agree with OP never played ball in real life.

Not airballing my layups anymore garubu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Your username sounds like a Japanese person trying to pronounce "grab," which makes your contribution all the better.
    Thank you sir, here is another one by the Mcgee.

I am your soldier!

Why doesn't everyone jump from the free throw line and dunk every possession?

NBA rookie of the year Rockets(T-mac)'s Avatar

You can't always grab it, but players should definitely learn to do light blocks, taps so maybe they can grab it on the way down or tap it to a teammate. There are some blocks that get swatted into the stands where it could've been caught or tapped to themselves. I do love a big swat though good way to get the crowd into the game.

Local High School Star

It's more so an intimidation factor too. What's more intimidating, "guiding the ball down with your hand" as someone accurately explained, or swatting the s*** out of it into the stands. Must players who get absolutely swatted would tend to think twice about driving into the paint when that shot-blocker is there, or taking a jump-shot. That's just how I view it.

I'm sure some of the elite shit-blockers could grab a shot out of mid air, depends on their hand size and how quick the shots going. But yeah swatting it away makes the offensive player think twice

Banned

It's hard to grab the ball.

It's easier to just swat it.

Another "why dont they" question.....

WHY DONT HOCKEY TEAMS find an incredibly obese person to be goalie? Seriously, the goal isnt that big. You take someone who is like 700 lbs, put all those pads on them and lay them on their back in front of the goal theyd take up like 99% of the air space to squeeze a puck through.

Never understood why that hasnt been done

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    Good info. This thread pretty much proves my point that people are set in their ways and refuse to think outside the box.

Any suggestion of something a little unorthodox and people jump all over it saying it doesn't work, when it has worked and I've seen it work.

I just think it needs to be used more.

I think a bit part of it is reflexs. Most block opportunities are pretty reactionary, so they go by instinct, which is to block. To do it consistently would require you to basically train yourself to look at every block opportunity as a catch opportunity, otherwise instinct kicks in. You'll notice most of the GIF's/vids used here as examples (The McGee one is the exception) the person blocking/catching has an extra bit of time to read the play because of where the shot it taken relative to where they are. They've had time to think 'block, nah I can grab this'

It's also worth noting how embarrassing it would likely look if you flubbed the catch, if you're near the basket at all and you lose control there's a fair chance an opposing player can get it and fire off an easy layup or something. The swat at least lets the defense reset if they can't take possession.

1. It's really hard to do.
    2. Swatting a shot hard has a lot of benefits. If some guy sends my shot out of bounds, will I be shooting near him anytime soon? Probably not. The emphatic statement and intimidation that comes from a hard swat is worth about as much as a turnover, IMO.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by troyceps33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GISDKqmkFbk

He needed some help from the glass but still impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by imnew09
    I can't believe this thread is still going. Those who agree with OP never played ball in real life.
    Then explain to me the multiple gifs and videos that people have posted of players doing exactly as I was talking about?

I'm simply saying I think centers should do this more, and actually practice it so that it becomes more natural instead of just something they just freestyled in a game one day.

even the best shot blockers in the league average around 2 blocks per game.. they'd be HAPPY to get even a regular block.. why do you think they have the time and skills to try to grab the ball?
    in the flow of the game.. they just trying to get even their fingers on the ball, bro

there are occasions, like when the offensive player does a soft layup where it is possible to grab it. but that happens once in a blue moon, and when that happens, you want to embarass that player instead by swatting it out of bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    Then explain to me the multiple gifs and videos that people have posted of players doing exactly as I was talking about?

I'm simply saying I think centers should do this more, and actually practice it so that it becomes more natural instead of just something they just freestyled in a game one day.
    it does happen in the flow of the game sometimes.. where it's so obvious and natural the players do it without even having to intent to. most of the time, blocks are out of reach, you extend your arms as far as you can, and you can only get part of the ball.

but how about you show us some videos where the player blocked it, and you think it's possible to grab it?