Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Default "State you position on the Knicks" thread

Just what the title says.

In an effort to compile positions of the team into one thread vs having every thread say the same thing.

I'll start....

My only issue with the team is it's reluctance to make the "high risk" move.

I'm not talking about matching an offer for Lin type move, but a true game changer.

Over the course of years teams have made those high risk game changer moves, and have been rewarded for such.

The Lakers are notorious for it, and just did it again

The Bulls have done it, and may be about to do it again.

Pistons did it, and most recently won a ring doing so.

Mavs did it, and seemed poised to do it again.

It's not even acquiring any said player, but setting yourself up to acquire a said player or players.

I've yet to see the Knicks do so.

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: "State you position on the Knicks" thread

They just traded, like, 50 players for one guy who's never proven anything commensurate with his hype.

That was a big move.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    They just traded, like, 50 players for one guy who's never proven anything commensurate with his hype.

That was a big move.
    He's got a point

That deal was a no brainer though. Will post my thoughts later, need to think on it.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

That's fair Scoooter, but not in the mold of what I was thinking, definitely not high risk

Is that you position on the Knicks?

Knicks are 1 good trade/2 or 3 players away from being able to win it

Carmelo is a unique player- build around his game and not despite it

knicks might be a formidable opponent if they can play well together having one full training camp and I think can challenge at the ECF level
    It's all about Playoff positioning. Last season we got ****ed with our position while Indy and Boston faired well to move deep with the opponents they faced early which I believe we could of also done if positioned the same. We need to secure a top 3 spot next season cus I see the bottom half as being extremely weak.

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

That was a big move.
    Wait we trade Gallo n got back Melo n WE got the guy who hasnt come close to living up to the hype? Lmao

Is that you position on the Knicks?
    It's his only position lol

I think we are in a bad place right now. I think we mirrored what the Jets did. We got some quality talent. We showed aglimpse of success finally. Then, instead of building around our pieces with quality, cheap role players. We blew our remaining assets on names (Tim Tebow, Jason Kidd) instead of games. I think we are squandering and 3 year window of opportunity to make some noise in the playoffs because we are getting guys based off of reputation and recognition instead of what they actually cando ON THE COURT.

For example, Jared Jeffies. His claim to fame is how he draws charges. I keep seeing the stat, "he led the team drawing a total of 10 charges." Ok, wll he's a liability otherwise and 10 charges in a 66 game season means that he was hurting us moe than he was helping us. It's been real, he's been overrated and overpaid his entire time asa Knick. He made some nice hustle plays...but enough is enough. Not only i he a scrub but now he's coming off an injury and he isnt exactly young.

It's time to go get some young talent that's gonna stick around for more than a year. Time to BUILD a teamintead of overpaying hasbeens and renting players so they can chase a ring.
    Last edited by franchize; 07-08-2012 at 10:30 AM.

NBA rookie of the year

Dude, Tebow's a winner.

Krust Kingz

[COLOR="Red"]I am so confused about this team. Its not young and its not a championship team.

the team probably will move into the top 5 in the east not based on their own merit and talent but the failings/injuries to other teams.

knickcity the team isnt going into luxury tax zone so no i dont think they will be doing nathan of consequence.[/COLOR]
    Last edited by Rameek; 07-08-2012 at 10:51 PM.

Alright, here's what I think.

The Knicks needed to take an "Out with the old in with the new" type stance on this off season. Which hasn't looked like the case so far.

We need to stop signing guys like Baron Davis, Mike Bibby and Jared Jeffries. Even Jason Kidd...I'm not a fan of that signing.

The one older player however that I would make an exception for is Camby. In my opinion he's an ideal fit as a back up big man for this team. Not because of experience or what ever. He can still contribute.

After bringing in a guy like Camby we would need to secure our SG position because Shumpert will be out until around January.

Bringing back JR Smith seems like a good step. But I would also want to bring in a guy like Gerald Green for all of the reasons Franchize said. He's fairly young, has some good athleticism, and is hungry. He's pretty versitile too and can play the 3 so when Shumpert does come back he can slide to the back-up 3.

Novak was an asset shooting the ball off the bench last season during the regular season so I would bring him back cheap. If he gets a pretty expensive offer though....I would bring back Shawne Williams.

As far as PG goes, obviously we match Lin but then we need to be in the market for a back up. This is tricky because we obviously have limited cap room at this point. Obviously I want Sessions but he would probably be too expensive and would probably be looking to start. Jonny Flynn might be a good guy to give a shot and I think we could get for cheap. Another RFA who might have come available recently is Jerryd Bayless.

Hypothetical Roster:

Lin/Bayless
    Shumpert/JR Smith
    Anthony/Green
    Stoudemire/Novak
    Chandler/Camby

I'm not really comfortable with Novak actually backing up Stoudemire. If STAT goes down he shouldn't get the start so looking for a back-up PF would be ideal. Anthony Randolph would be perfect but probably too expensive. Not sure on that front.

The reality s we have Kidd and hes taking up alot of money. We can S&T for Camby as well.

Is there anyway realistic way we can still bring back JR and bring in Gerald Green while finding a way to bring back Anthony Randolph. Seems impossible at this point but it would add some good depth.

Well here's my take.

1)
    The Knicks have messed up the 2010 free agency.
    Now they find themselves with two superstars around whom - as a duo - it is very difficult to put together a winning team.
    We overpaid Amar'e, who is now fairly untradeable.
    That is the biggest problem.
    We could have built an awesome team around Melo, with Amare's salary space.
    Instead, now we are kind of stuck in the middle.

2) (as a consequence)
    The Knicks don't have time to "build". We cannot indulge in a young team hoping they become good role players.
    Our stars are in their prime.
    Melo is 28 and in his prime. Amar'e seems to have lost a step already. Tyson is even older.
    The timeframe in which we should win is very thin. And young players won't bring us a title, if their name isn't Kyrie Irving or Anthony Davis and a few others, which is not the case.
    In this sense I agree with the type of moves that have been done. Kidd, JR Smith are people who can contribute now. We are still some moves away though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bano114
    Alright, here's what I think.

The Knicks needed to take an "Out with the old in with the new" type stance on this off season. Which hasn't looked like the case so far.

We need to stop signing guys like Baron Davis, Mike Bibby and Jared Jeffries. Even Jason Kidd...I'm not a fan of that signing.

The one older player however that I would make an exception for is Camby. In my opinion he's an ideal fit as a back up big man for this team. Not because of experience or what ever. He can still contribute.

After bringing in a guy like Camby we would need to secure our SG position because Shumpert will be out until around January.

Bringing back JR Smith seems like a good step. But I would also want to bring in a guy like Gerald Green for all of the reasons Franchize said. He's fairly young, has some good athleticism, and is hungry. He's pretty versitile too and can play the 3 so when Shumpert does come back he can slide to the back-up 3.

Novak was an asset shooting the ball off the bench last season during the regular season so I would bring him back cheap. If he gets a pretty expensive offer though....I would bring back Shawne Williams.

As far as PG goes, obviously we match Lin but then we need to be in the market for a back up. This is tricky because we obviously have limited cap room at this point. Obviously I want Sessions but he would probably be too expensive and would probably be looking to start. Jonny Flynn might be a good guy to give a shot and I think we could get for cheap. Another RFA who might have come available recently is Jerryd Bayless.

Hypothetical Roster:

Lin/Bayless
    Shumpert/JR Smith
    Anthony/Green
    Stoudemire/Novak
    Chandler/Camby

I'm not really comfortable with Novak actually backing up Stoudemire. If STAT goes down he shouldn't get the start so looking for a back-up PF would be ideal. Anthony Randolph would be perfect but probably too expensive. Not sure on that front.

The reality s we have Kidd and hes taking up alot of money. We can S&T for Camby as well.

Is there anyway realistic way we can still bring back JR and bring in Gerald Green while finding a way to bring back Anthony Randolph. Seems impossible at this point but it would add some good depth.
    It's crazy how when you joined this board, our opinions were so different but now we're almost always on the same page. Go figure

For the record, Jerryd Bayless is now an Unrestricted Free Agent. The Craptors rescinded their qualifying offer for whatever reason.

Our offseason
    Draft a foreign play who wont play this year.
    Pay a 39 year old hasbeen pg 3 mill a year for 3 yrs.
    Give a 38 year old C who still can rebound and block shots a 4 yr deal.
    Re-sign a talented but ignorant SG for about half of what he's worth
    Sign a dunk contest guy from overseas who played pretty well out there
    Add a guy who was the 7th best player on his college team to your practice squad because he's a brother of your sg.
    Add Doc River's lesser talented son to your Summer League team
    Add Mychal Thompson's lesser talented son to you Summer League team
    Offer contract to a 35 yr old pg from the Spanish league

Rumored moves
    50/50 chance we match Toronto's offer.
    Trying to sign 33 yr old journeyman (Mo Evans)

All in all however, I think we are a better team than we were last year. Kidd, while I hate the signing, is better than Bibby. We finally have a real backup big man. James White is intriguing. Smith was a huge bargain. D'Antoni is gone. Lin has an extra year of experience and we'll have a training camp.
    Last edited by franchize; 07-11-2012 at 03:34 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

That was a big move.

On the bright side, no more Jeffries, Bibby, Douglas. We also arent forced to start Landry.i