Page 99 of 153 FirstFirst ... 498996979899100101102109149 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2288
    Made that high school varsity squad DwadeOverLebron's Avatar

Default Re: Illinois Fan Thread.

loved frankie williams! too bad he was kinda shady... that one game when they played zona and gilbert lite us up! that was a very shady game thank god i didn't have money on it

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

What, specifically, do you mean by "kinda shady?"

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Bruce Weber may be in for a 50% raise if it's approved by the board of trustees. That'd give him $1.25M this year and 1.5M the next.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Bruce Weber may be in for a 50% raise if it's approved by the board of trustees. That'd give him $1.25M this year and 1.5M the next.
    Jerrance Howard also getting a pay raise. I think he will be getting $160k next year, more than the other assistants.

I don't necessarily have a problem with Bruce's pay raise, but I do wonder why. Certainly for the job he did this past year and the much-improved recruiting efforts he's earned his job being 100% safe. But I can't imagine he's in demand for other jobs (not that that's a bad thing, per se) and we haven't won an NCAA tourney game in three years, and we're 63-41 the last three years. If it was simply a good-faith thing based on getting the program headed back toward an elite level, trying to be ahead of the game, I guess it's a calculated risk I can accept. I'd hate for Illini hoops to get rolling again the next couple years only to have someone come along and blow Weber's socks off with a huge offer, then have him leave because he felt underappreciated.

As for Jerrance, it was an easy call. He's of great importance to our recruiting successes of late and was being courted for jobs at Kentucky and Memphis. If any of the other assistants didn't like him getting paid more, too bad. Fortunately that doesn't appear to be the case at all.

http://www.illinihq.com/news/footbal...s_transferring

DT Reggie Ellis is leaving the team. Despite what the article says, I think the DC pipeline is done, and this was the last nail in the coffin.

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- Illinois forward Mike Davis broke his ankle in a voluntary morning practice session on Tuesday, forcing him to withdraw from the USA Basketball World University Games team trials.

The school said it will take between six and eight weeks for Davis to recover.

Illinois coach Bruce Weber said he is disappointed because Davis has worked hard in preparing for next week's trials. Weber said instead of playing basketball over the next two months, Davis will work out in the weight room.

Davis started 34 games for the Illini (24-10) last season, averaging 11.3 points per game.
    ESPN

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

That's awful, I think he was really looking forward to playing for the US team. Maybe he can spend time putting on weight now though.

Could be a blessing in disguise like Deron Williams breaking his jaw. Hopefully he will see it as an opportunity to get in the weight room and get bigger. It does suck that he can't play on that team though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    What, specifically, do you mean by "kinda shady?"
    And a month later he's busted with a few ounces of weed and a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    And a month later he's busted with a few ounces of weed and a gun.
    PEORIA, Ill. -- Authorities say former Illinois basketball standout and 2001 Big Ten Player of the Year Frank Williams has been arrested on drug charges.

The 29-year-old Williams and his 24-year-old brother, Aaron, were arrested Wednesday after agents for the Multi-County Enforcement Group executed a search warrant at a Peoria home. Agents seized 78 grams of marijuana, a digital scale and a .40 caliber handgun.

Frank Williams, of Vernon Hills, is charged with unlawful possession of marijuana and unlawful possession of marijuana with intent to deliver. Aaron Williams is charged with unlawful possession and not having a firearm ID card.

They were both taken to the Peoria County Jail.
    ESPN

Sucks for Frank, but I'd be a hypocrite to think less of him considering I smoke pot (not nearly as much as I used to) and don't think it should be illegal. If not for a fear campaign by William Randolph Hearst- among others- in the 1930's, it most likely wouldn't be.

Meyers Leonard at the Illinois team camp

It's clearer and clearer every time he steps on the court that we got an elite center prospect in Leonard. It's just incredible how much better and better he keeps getting, and he's a legit 7 feet. In that video alone we saw his ability to pass out of the double team, hit a deep jumper off the dribble, a high-level post move (the spin move to his left hand), and dunk on people. He's clearly the second-best player in the state for 2010 behind Richmond.

Jeff Jordan won't be on the team next year

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Was just about to post that. Good luck to him. I wish him the best, he seems like he has a great head on his shoulders.