Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    McCants is Available!!

Default Re: Who is the biggest threat to overtake Blake Griffin for #1 overall?

Griffin will go #1. After that, it's pretty much up in the air. I think it'll be between Teague, Harden, & Monroe.

Griffin will be # 1 unless some team is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by tbp82
    Is is hard to find one that is Uber-Athletic as you put it but 6'9 or less Power Forwards who have worked out (yet aren't as athletic as Griffin) are Paul Millsap Utah, Carlos Boozer Utah, Elton Brand 76ers, David Lee Knicks, David West Hornets, Udonis Haslem Heat Zach Randolph Clippers, Ben Wallace Cavaliers, Kenyon Martin Nuggets. Now all of these guys are not all stars but they have worked out. I know what is coming next the mid-range jumper thing but if you have watched Blake you have seen him hit the college 3 this year. He has even developed a nice little Tim Duncan bank shot as well. Even though I answered your question I don't think it is a fair question. I think your question is just as absurd as me asking you to name all the 7 foot white centers (Mullens) who have worked out in recent memory a list that would be smaller than the 6'8 power forward list or I could say name me the players from international ball that have worked out in recent memory (a list that is comparable to the 6'8 list). These are not fair questions that is why I don't ask them.
    First off Griffin is shorter than probably all those guys except for Wallace/Martin. Also, David West is a shooter. I can do the same thing with the 7' white center argument and list decent players... Andris Biedrins, Chris Kaman, Andrew Bogut, Spencer Hawes along with players who have played PF and C in their careers like Pau Gasol or players who are shorter than 7' like Brad Miller or now Kevin Love. Of course Griffin is the better player of the two at this exact moment by miles, but if BJ Mullens starts coming on strong and declared for the draft, he could be picked over Griffin on potential, that's all I'm saying. I'm not saying anyone is going to surpass Griffin in this draft, only that if someone does I'd expect either Ricky Rubio or BJ Mullens would be the guy.

Mullens has been playing well in his last 5 games (I'll watch him live tomorrow)
    averaging 14.2 PPG 5.8 RPG, and 1.6 BPG on 72% shooting playing 25 MPG. I think he's going to start busting out soon.

Saw a basketball once

patirck patterosn

Saw a basketball once

A few questions for FOS.

1)Why do you think Griffin is so short? He looks taller than Beasley and when he played Jerome Jordan (6'10 or 7'0) he didn't look that much shorter.

2)Even is Griffin measures low and Mullens starts playing well how does he jump Greg Monroe?

3)What are your thoughts on Austin Daye he is another upside player?

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Only person I can think of is this Rubio hype. If he's really that good, then I can see the switch for him. It'll be like Dwight over Emeka. At the time, Emeka was supposed to be the no-brainer pick.

Saw a basketball once

Rubio hype I still say Monroe has best chance but anyway Howard over Emeka wasn't that big of a shot as many many scouts, articles, even an articles in Sports Illustarted about Sebastian Telfair and another about Howard's AAU team all suggested that Howard was the likely choice for #1 pick. Orlando made it clear from Day 1 that they were picking between Howard and Okafor.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbp82
    Rubio hype I still say Monroe has best chance but anyway Howard over Emeka wasn't that big of a shot as many many scouts, articles, even an articles in Sports Illustarted about Sebastian Telfair and another about Howard's AAU team all suggested that Howard was the likely choice for #1 pick. Orlando made it clear from Day 1 that they were picking between Howard and Okafor.
    Yeah, it was. Everyone on this board was calling Emeka's number cause he was a college beast, he had just won the championship at UConn and was projected to be a Tim Duncan like player. Dwight was just seen as a kid who had athleticism and needed to mature. Emeka dominated him in the tryouts, being much stronger than him and more polished. Dwight also had percieved "maturity" issues cause he kept saying he wanted to "evangelize the NBA and cast out sin.

It's easy for you to sit here and look back and say that Orlando made the right decision but at the time, most people on this board said it was the poor choice.

I'm pretty sure Rubio isn't coming out this year, he just got a fat contract in Europe. 2010 or 2011 NBA Draft for him. I've seen him play and he's a tad overrated at this point anyways, although he is entertaining and creative. Could potentially be like Steve Nash with much better defense but not as good of a shooter. Will probably go #1 in 2010.

BJ Mullens doesn't have a chance of going #1 this year, he could really, really, REALLY use another year or even two of college. Wait until Jared Sullinger gets there and combine with him for a NCAA champeenship maybe. Really the only reason I can think of for him not to stay one more year (like Blake), is the risk of having a serious injury and screwing himself out of any NBA money.

Brandon Jennings would probably be dominant in the NCAA, Arizona would probably be a contender, and he would possibly be considered the Derrick Rose-style #1 pick PG. Alas, he went to Europe, and now a lot of scouts won't see as much of him and NBA fans definitely won't see much of him. He killed much of the hype he earned in highschool. There ain't no NCAA tournament to redeem himself, so I highly doubt he gets picked #1, even by a team that could use a PG.

James Harden I haven't seen much of, except that overtime win against UCLA, but all he did was draw a bunch of fouls. He reminds me somewhat of Paul Pierce, but I haven't really seen enough of him to judge. Others say Manu. There is an outside chance for him to be #1 if Blake measures too short to be a F/C and the team drafting already has a top tier PF.Like if my Raptors were drafting #1, I think he'd be a good pick because we have no wings.

Greg Monroe is the real contender. He is an impressively skilled and intelligent player who will measure at least 6'9, more likely 6'10, without shoes. From what I've seen he is absolutely vital to any success Georgetown has. His versatility,skill, size and potential could vault him to #1 if Blake measures at 6'8 or lower sans shoes, or if the drafting team has a well-established PF and thinks they could use Monroe as a F/C.

And of course Blake Griffin himself, a beastly college player, definitely has the athleticism, strength, rebounding instincts, intensity, and wingspan to be a very good NBA PF, and if he measures above 6'8 and develops a reliable face up game, he could be an All-Star. He reminds me of Lebron physically, they're probably about the same size, but obviously Blake has far less skill and coordination, and is somewhat less athletic (might have more brute strength, though). If Blake is like Mr. Beasley and is under 6'8, he could have problems, but would still be good.

I can't think of anyone else who could go #1, barring someone absolutely going off in the tournament (I'm looking in your direction Curry).
    Last edited by A.M.G.; 01-27-2009 at 03:26 PM.

Learning to shoot layups daydreamin's Avatar

BJ Mullens is freaking terrible. He should go in the second round if he comes out this year, no joke.

Good college starter

By the end of the season, some teams might take a gamble on Aminu if he decides to leave.

Serious playground baller Thunderstruck's Avatar

Nobody. Blake is a lock to go #1, but then again I'm biased.

I rule the local playground

I still think Jrue Holiday is going to be one of the best players if he comes out after the college season. So poised, so unselfish, can score, and such a great defender.

Good college starter

Thabeet. I used to think that he was the next Diop but his progress as a player is amazing. He looks like the next Mutombo to me. And in most drafts that's #1 pick worthy.

Monroe.

He plays better in person than on TV. He is like a point center....