Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheists.

Default Re: Atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by apriorist
    : Good answer, Doomsday. Now if you could just be this rational when it comes to 9/11.
    Thank You.

NBA sixth man of the year

So you're saying the blob of mass that existed before the Big Bang was just sitting there for an infinite amount of time and then exploded (for no reason) into everything that exists today? Do you honestly believe that's what happened?

That is not the theory at all, only a rather bad display of ignorance.

But it is just as valid as saying God has been around for infinity. There is absolutely no difference.

High School Varsity 6th Man apriorist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Answer
    A bigger contradiction is the problem of evil. It basis it's conclusion on a few premises. First, god is omnipotent (all-powerful) and omnibenevolent (all-loving). Secondly, is that an omnibenevolent being is opposed to evil. Third, is that, as a being that that despises evil and has the power to destroy it(based on his omnipotence), evil can't exist. Obviously, evil and suffering do exist, however. This presents a contradicition. One of the premises is false. Either god doesn't exist or is not omnipotent/omnibenevolent, which is contrary to the very definition of god.
    My belief is that whatever God does is good no matter how humans view or judge it. God allowing evil is not evil, he has a greater purpose. Anyway, God can do whatever the hell he wants, so saying that God allowing evil is a contradiction is nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    That is not the theory at all, only a rather bad display of ignorance.
    You say it's ignorance without providing an explanation. Good work, Einstein.

But it is just as valid as saying God has been around for infinity. There is absolutely no difference.
    If it's 'just as valid' then you'd say it's 50/50 that God exists?

So for those that believe:

In your view, are we unique? The only planet that deserves life and God's attention?

If so, that's a lot of empty space in a universe filled with billions upon billions of galaxies, each filled with trillions and trillions of stars capable of supporting life just going to waste.

Put yr guns up

A bigger contradiction is the problem of evil. It basis it's conclusion on a few premises. First, god is omnipotent (all-powerful) and omnibenevolent (all-loving). Secondly, is that an omnibenevolent being is opposed to evil. Third, is that, as a being that that despises evil and has the power to destroy it(based on his omnipotence), evil can't exist. Obviously, evil and suffering do exist, however. This presents a contradicition. One of the premises is false. Either god doesn't exist or is not omnipotent/omnibenevolent, which is contrary to the very definition of god.
    Or how about the can God create a stone he can't lift argument, as the inability to either lift the stone or create the stone would be lack in power. Or can God make himself forget something which would be a lack in his either his power or knowledge. There's just no way for perfection to be understood by the human mind.

LOL, I'm not going to sit here and type out the Big Bang theory and what was going on at t=10^-35 seconds. That'd take hours.

If it's 'just as valid' then you'd say it's 50/50 that God exists?
    No. I don't believe either is 100% correct.

I'm just saying you can't completely discredit one and say that the other is true.

yeah the big bang is less believable to me than a supreme God. It makes sense to me that something all knowing created something with the intricacies of the earth alone, let alone the universe.

big bang seems just too unlikely by my thinking

LOL, I'm not going to sit here and type out the Big Bang theory and what was going on at t=10^-35 seconds. That'd take hours.
    Nice dodge.

No. I don't believe either is 100% correct.
    Most certainly one is 100% correct.

I'm just saying you can't completely discredit one and say that the other is true.
    I said that from the get-go.

So for those that believe:

In your view, are we unique? The only planet that deserves life and God's attention?

If so, that's a lot of empty space in a universe filled with billions upon billions of galaxies, each filled with trillions and trillions of stars capable of supporting life just going to waste.
    To answer this question, I say 'no', I don't think we're the only planet with intelligent life. Too many damn stars out there.

Quote Originally Posted by SCY
    Or how about the can God create a stone he can't lift argument, as the inability to either lift the stone or create the stone would be lack in power. Or can God make himself forget something which would be a lack in his either his power or knowledge. There's just no way for perfection to be understood by the human mind.
    Excellent point. The question is basically "Can God create a paradox?".

Quote Originally Posted by Borat
    yeah the big bang is less believable to me than a supreme God. It makes sense to me that something all knowing created something with the intricacies of the earth alone, let alone the universe.

big bang seems just too unlikely by my thinking
    I'm not saying I don't believe the Big Bang (that name is so funny), I just don't think it happened for no reason.

Local High School Star The Answer's Avatar

My belief is that whatever God does is good no matter how humans view or judge it. God allowing evil is not evil, he has a greater purpose. Anyway, God can do whatever the hell he wants, so saying that God allowing evil is a contradiction is nonsense.
    If god is omnipotent/omnibenevolent, why didn't he create us in a place where no "greater purpose" was needed for evil and suffering? Clearly, as an omnipotent being, he has the power to and, as an omnibenevolent being, would desire the easiest path for us.
    Last edited by The Answer; 04-24-2008 at 11:50 PM.

Nice dodge.
    Thanks. I totally set myself up for embarrassment there too.

Most certainly one is 100% correct.
    I personally believe our Universe was born out of the death and collapse of one previous, sort of like a gigantic black hole. Implosion ---> explosion ---> Our Universe ---> Us.

But then again, how did that Universe get there? Was there one before that?

Great, I think I just fried my brain.

Banned

Here's your explanation...

Classical mechanics

Classical Physics

Electrodynamics

Special Relativity

Quantum Mechanics

Particle Physics

General Relativity

Cosmology