Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Default Re: Obama v. Romney Debate 1 of 3 IGT

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    I disagree. I think the big thing is that Barack looked flustered and lost control of the debate. It was a poor performance. He didn't look presidential.
    I still didn't see anything that makes me think people will flock to ROmney. The only buzz i hear this morning is from political pundits (who treat the debates like a sporting even and overreact accordingly) or the Romney supporters who are thrilled. That doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    I suggest you take a look at your own backyard before you come here talking shit about 'Merica, if it weren't for us, youd be speaking German today, you limey cvnt.

Bugger off, you twaat. Mind yer own fvcking business, no one here gives a shit what a foriegner thinks of us.
    dude ain't british. that's starface.

By the way, it looks like the James Fallows article I cited about Obama not being a strong debater and Romney being a good debater was validated.

The next one is a town hall format which I think plays better for Obama.

Also people are speculating that Obama's might have had his mind on this.

Turkey and Syria have started shooting at each other.

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    dude ain't british. that's starface.
    I know he ain't British, they don't use "mate" that much, that's the Aussies, I'm just playing along with his lame gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    By the way, it looks like the James Fallows article I cited about Obama not being a strong debater and Romney being a good debater was validated.

The next one is a town hall format which I think plays better for Obama.

Also people are speculating that Obama's might have had his mind on this.

Turkey and Syria have started shooting at each other.
    Turkey and Syria are always shooting at each other. Syria lets the Kurds operate from their territory.

Some headlines

Turkey's parliament authorises military operations against Syria
    Turkish military fires into Syria for second day after five civilians are killed by shelling in border town

Turkey strikes back at Syria, approves further military action

Turkey retaliates after deadly shelling from Syria

Turkey shells Syria: Will NATO be drawn into conflict?

Syria and Turkey: how long can the world's great powers sit on their hands?

NATO demands halt to Syria aggression against Turkey

This is the Turkish military and the Turkish government. 5 Turkish civlians were killed yesterday by Syrian mortars. Russia, the UN, Nato, etc are all involved. This isn't ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    This is the Turkish military and the Turkish government. 5 Turkish civlians were killed yesterday by Syrian mortars. Russia, the UN, Nato, etc are all involved. This isn't ordinary.
    Rebels have strategically captured border checkpoints trying to pressure Assad, that's why Syria has attacked Turkey which along with the Jet Fighter incident forced Turkey to act. Now is this just Turkey trying to intimidate Syria and show the Turkish people that they have done something against Syria's attacks or is it Turkey trying to get NATO involved and do away with Assad? Syria is Iran's last line of defense and subsequently Russia/China's front against the West.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Romney did what he should've been doing all along. From the Charlotte Observer editorial:

Quote:
    This wasn't the 47 percent guy, stumbling from one gaffe into another. It wasn't the candidate who made independents uneasy by giving himself up to the extremes of his party. The Mitt Romney that debated Wednesday night was the nominee moderates in each party hoped for long ago. He won the debate in a rout.
    Actually, I think was the Romney we've seen all along. As in the 47% tape, he was telling the audience what it wanted to hear. Did he really think everyone who doesn't pay federal income taxes is an Obama voter? Obama would be up by like 10-15 nationwide if that was true. On the tape that came out, he was quite a smooth talker who said was his audience wanted to hear and didn't let his facts get in the way.

That's what he did last night as well.

He claimed he has a lengthy plan to replace Obamacare. His plan is one page long.

He claimed that preexisting conditions will be covered under his plan. (Only if you have continuous coverage).

He claimed that kids could be on their parents health plan until age 26 because that's already the law. Yeah, the law that Obama fought for and the one you want to repeal.

He claimed he won't cut taxes on the rich. Well he has said he would cut tax rates across the board by 20% and eliminate the estate taxes. Sounds like the rich would do very well.

He claimed his tax plan would not cost 5 trillion dollars. However, the non partisan experts who have looked at his plan, say this will be the cost over the next decade.

He says he can make this up by eliminating loopholes and deductions (and that he won't raise taxes on the middle class). When the nonpartisan experts say: A. There's not enough loopholes and deductions paid only by the rich to make up for the $500 billion in tax cuts per year his plan.
    B. To make up those cuts, you would have to go after deductions and credits used by the middle class.

He claims his plan is revenue neutral, however he's never actually given us the details of what his plan is. His plan is basically Trust Me, it will work out.

Romney's gaffes tend to come out when he is unsure of what to say to his audience. He was very well prepared and on message in this debate.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    I know he ain't British, they don't use "mate" that much, that's the Aussies, I'm just playing along with his lame gimmick.
    yup. that gimmick uses mate more times in one post then i have heard in all the times i've been to london

On the Obama side.

He said insurance premiums grew at the slowest rate in 50 years. Not true. Overall healthcare spending has grown slowly, not premiums.

He said he had a $4 trillion dollar deficit reduction plan for the next 10 years. Some $2 trillion of this is already agreed to and in place.

Edit: Obama also talked about using the savings from winding down the wars and implied we could use that money elsewhere. The wars were never paid for. We were borrowing that money. So you still would need to cut the department of defense budget significantly.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 10-04-2012 at 12:56 PM.

I don't see the use for debates really anymore.
    I remember Bush sounding like a bumbling idiot and he won twice.
    And from what I saw last night it was the same speeches and topics the candidates have been say over and over.

I don't understand how people would be undecided.
    The two candidates have clear differences.
    I do not think they are undecided I think they are just tuning in?

Both covered topics their campaign has already beaten into our minds through ads but Romney seemed more comfortable. I don't know if the fact that Romney handled the debate somewhat better than Obama will swing any votes his way because policy wise they seem very different.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Romney did what he should've been doing all along. From the Charlotte Observer editorial:

Is it going to make a difference with the electoral college? Probably not.

I disagree. Obama is still under 50% in the vote, for an incumbent, that's risky territory. I get the feeling that there's a bunch of former Obama voters who aren't too enthused after the past 4 years and right now they are looking for a reason to give Romney a chance or they'll simply stay at home come Election day. Most of the post-debate focus groups showed a major leaning towards Romney after coming in neutral or even favoring Obama, don't underestimate the ability of the American people to fall for emotion-driven rubbish, its how Obama got elected in the first place after all.

This race is very much up for grabs and what Romney did last night, the single most important thing he accomplished was that he basically overturned 4+ months and 100+ million dollars worth of advertising that tried painting him a certain way. He brought his own campaign back and earned himself a new chance, with over a month to go, this will tighten up even further as Romney will probably gain a point or two in the polls as a result.

The worst thing Obama did last night was to look passive. I'm sure there was some sort of strategy to play the nice guy role and let Romney come off as too aggressive and a bully that would turn off independent voters, especially women, but instead, Romney came out looking decisive and strong and Obama came out looking petulant and weak, neither being a good trait for someone in a leadership position.

On the real, both of these guys are full of it and told all sorts of tall tales, but a major part of the debate is presentation and presence and in that, Romney won hands down.

Very good NBA starter

romney's load of bullshit was better than obama's, but it was still bullshit.