NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Season of the tank!-2013-14 regular season

[QUOTE]Gordon Hayward strolled into the locker room at the Jazz

[QUOTE]"When I

Asked recently why his team struggles so much when any starter is absent, Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said, "Just look at our roster."
    Could have used that pretty much anytime since he's been coach except the brief time before Deron was unloaded.

[QUOTE]His response was surprisingly defensive and refreshingly realistic, while probably intended to justify the other players as much as himself. Yet that

[QUOTE]It might not have been quite as brutal as last Saturday's lopsided loss at Minneapolis, where Minnesota humbled Utah 98-72 in a game in which the

[QUOTE]Though he

Even rookie point guard Trey Burke only contributed nine points and five assists for the Jazz. Grade: C+
    Even? Not like he hasn't been up and down all year.

[QUOTE]Forwards: Gordon Hayward had to represent all of the Jazz forwards in Tuesday

[QUOTE] If the NBA ever decides to do a strongman competition during All-Star weekend

[QUOTE]The Jazz bench performed much better, outscoring Utah

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Gobert is a likely member? France has many NBA caliber bigs.
    highly debatable
    Not that unlikely given how often our bigs don't want to play for our national team.
    Last year :
    - Noah was supposedly injured (he came only once and doesn't seem concerned about the team, which I can understand given he's french but also american, camerounese etc).
    - Seraphin prefered to work on his game with the Wizards, and he might spend the next summer trying to find a contract.
    - Traor

[QUOTE=vinvin01]Not that unlikely given how often our bigs don't want to play for our national team.
    Last year :
    - Noah was supposedly injured (he came only once and doesn't seem concerned about the team, which I can understand given he's french but also american, camerounese etc).
    - Seraphin prefered to work on his game with the Wizards, and he might spend the next summer trying to find a contract.
    - Traor

[QUOTE]Rod Hundley, the iconic former broadcaster for the Utah Jazz, is suffering from Alzheimer

Jazz center Derrick Favors continues to improve from a abductor strain injury, but his availability Saturday night against Washington remains a game-time decision.

"I feel a lot better," Favors said before practice on Friday morning. "I

Weary Wizards?

While the Jazz haven

Favors tweaked the muscle after landing awkwardly after dunking on the first play of the game in Detroit last Friday. He played that night and Saturday in Minnesota. He might

Burke will play the 32nd game of his NBA career Saturday night, when the Jazz battle the Washington Wizards at EnergySolutions Arena. He’s been working on his pull-up bank shot, however, since he first picked up a basketball.

It is an unusual weapon in today’s drive-and-kick, 3-point dominated NBA.

"I’ve been practicing it a long time," Burke says. "It’s been one of my sweet-spot shots since I was young. Every time I get to the elbow — coming off a screen or in transition — that’s kind of my guide to making that basket. Hitting the ball off the backboard is something I’ve always practiced."

Burke credits an AAU coach in Ohio, Victor Dandridge, with teaching him the importance of using the glass to make angle jumpers.

"I still keep in touch with him now," Burke said. "He says that’s his favorite shot of mine — hitting that backboard shot. He used to make me practice it a lot.

"… I think I already had it, but I developed it when he worked me out. He made me shoot it over and over again. I think that’s why I can make it when some guards can’t."

Burke can’t recall ever winning a game by banking in a jumper at the buzzer but says "that shot has come in handy a lot of times. I’ve made some big baskets using the glass. I’ve always been comfortable with it."

Years ago, most NBA players were comfortable shooting off the backboard. In fact, they were expected to make bank shots.

"When I coached," Frank Layden said, "we practiced shooting the ball that way. We called it ‘automatic.’ … It was a shot our guys used all the time."

Before Red Auerbach died, Layden remembers talking to the legendary Boston Celtics coach about the issue.

"Red said, ‘I don’t know why we don’t use it more. We used to use it so much,’" Layden recalled.

According to Burke, some of his Utah teammates have teased him about how he often line-drives the ball off the glass. He’s not planning to make any major changes, however.

"They always get on me because they say I shoot it too hard," Burke said. "They want me to get under it a little more — shoot it a little softer. But I have confidence to shoot it this way."
    Check out your shooting %! I have a lot more respect for him. Stupid not to use the glass. You'd think Tim Duncan's success would have influenced more guys to start banking it.

Consider the opinions that players expressed in a Sports Illustrated story that was written in 1999:

• Grant Hill: "I don’t like the bank shot. I never really practiced it, so I’m not really comfortable with it."

“Guys don’t make any shots anymore, let alone bank shots. Guys today just want to dunk and shoot three-pointers.”

— Larry Bird, Sports Illustrated, 1999

• Tim Hardaway: "The only angle I consider is straight in."

• Derek Harper: "It’s old school. It’s not glamorous, and today, if it’s not glamorous, it won’t work."
    What a bunch of dumbasses!

"It’s something I’ll continue to do," he said.

Don’t tell Burke.

"It’s something I’ll continue to do," he said.