Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Not airballing my layups anymore

kblaze's post is a more eloquent way of how i can't stand fans whining about how ref's call games.

i don't post as much as i used to but those who remember me know i am a lakers' fan. i didn't get any pleasure watching wade going to foul line during the playoffs.

but i consistently said that since these are professionals, they need to adjust to how ref's call games. i really ragged on dirk in the finals because he wouldn't drive to the basket himself. he'd try a few times and then settle for outside jumpers. i really lost some respect for dirk because of that.

people can whine all they want on wade driving to the basket. if the ref's keep giving he the ft's, why should he stop? i'd expect kobe to do the same.

now i don't think kobe gets his fair share of calls when he does drive to the basket, but i admit i have a fan's bias. but at least the guy will keep going inside and not let non-calls affect how he plays his game.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

When the Lakers were on top "____ got screwed by the refs" was a daily issue. Kings fans, Twolf fans, blazers fans and all. Never ending *****ing over Shaq. 20 topics every playoff game where Kobe got a call or two. Nobody here at the time can deny that. **** it was like 2005 before some people stopped calling the Kings the 2002 champs here.

Few years ago the Spurs got it. Everyone mad over Bowens physicl play and from 03-05 Mavs fans and fans in general hated how Duncan got so many touch foul and 1s. In the 2004 finals all Laker fans here could talk about is the Lakers getting screwed by the refs.
    that bolded statement shows how stupid and totally ignorant alot of Laker fans are (on this board and in real life, I live in LA, unfortunately). All the instances you bought up about complaints, such as Duncan getting touch calls, Bowen physical play, Magic getting touch calls, Pistons rough D, all of it was pretty reasonable for fans of the other teams to complain. But then you have Laker fans complaining about 04 finals? What is there to complain about, when they just got whupped? How could the refs screw Kobe into shooting 35%, Ben Wallace to be grabbing every rebound, Sheed, Ben and Prince altering every layup in the lane? How do the refs screw the Lakers when Memo Okur and Mike James are outplaying the Lakers role players? HOW? That's the stupidest complaint ever, and I'm not surprised it's from Laker fans.

That series wasn't even close. Take away the 3 minute hot stretch of Kobe i ngame 2 and it was a sweep. You don't complain about refs when the games are so lopsided and complete dominance. You complain about the refs when it's a close game and some guy gets free throw after free throw.

Diaw Fan

Wade would have been SUCH a great soccer player. Second in league only to Nash.

Samurai Swoosh

Wade acted like he got shot on that play. He completely over-exaggerated that. If that happened to A.I., and lets say it was so hard his tooth got knocked out. A.I. would spit it out, and keep playing. Not roll on the ground, actling like he just got sprayed with mase.

Good college starter LakersDynasty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Wade acted like he got shot on that play. He completely over-exaggerated that. If that happened to A.I., and lets say it was so hard his tooth got knocked out. A.I. would spit it out, and keep playing. Not roll on the ground, actling like he just got sprayed with mase.
    What the hell, Carter's elbow barely graced Wade's face in that play, that's weak.

Two days ago Dan Gadzuric inadvertantly elbowed Diaw (who isn't known to be a tough guy either) who started bleeding immediately and his nose looked to be broken, but he came back 2 minutes after he got hit. No need to act like you got hit by a shot gun.

Samurai Swoosh

Thing is, I know Wade is a tough guy. He grew up on the mean streets of Chicago. That's why I loved him his rookie year. And that's why I don't understand how he has turned into such a ballerina. He cries like Nancy Kerrigan did when she got hit with a crowbar. He didn't complain his first year, and he didn't really complain his second year. Then in year 3, he turned into this pansy. The Wade we saw his rookie and sophmore year is the real player. I loved him then. He didn't get the pub Bron, and Melo got, and he just went out there and played his heart out and didn't whine and moan. He also drove just as much then, but now he gets an extrodinary amount of calls. In reality, without all the ticky tacks he gets and the blatant miss calls which put him on the line, Wade is a low 20 ppg scorer.
    Last edited by Money 23; 12-04-2006 at 02:04 AM.

Saw a basketball once Technical Lead's Avatar

Default re:

I think you are looking at it in from a different perspective. I believe sheed and all the other complainants are referring to the type of calls this guy gets away with and not really the average free throws he gets. I think its a matter of when the calls are called like in situations that the games are close. If you look at the average, it doesnt tell you all the story. How many attempts did wade took in games that are decided by 10 points or less? You will most likely see that the majority of his FTs are in those games where FTs actually decided the game and look how many of those were taken by wade.

Quote Originally Posted by EricForman
    that bolded statement shows how stupid and totally ignorant alot of Laker fans are (on this board and in real life, I live in LA, unfortunately). All the instances you bought up about complaints, such as Duncan getting touch calls, Bowen physical play, Magic getting touch calls, Pistons rough D, all of it was pretty reasonable for fans of the other teams to complain. But then you have Laker fans complaining about 04 finals? What is there to complain about, when they just got whupped? How could the refs screw Kobe into shooting 35%, Ben Wallace to be grabbing every rebound, Sheed, Ben and Prince altering every layup in the lane? How do the refs screw the Lakers when Memo Okur and Mike James are outplaying the Lakers role players? HOW? That's the stupidest complaint ever, and I'm not surprised it's from Laker fans.

That series wasn't even close. Take away the 3 minute hot stretch of Kobe i ngame 2 and it was a sweep. You don't complain about refs when the games are so lopsided and complete dominance. You complain about the refs when it's a close game and some guy gets free throw after free throw.
    Well ain't that great. Excuse all the other fans' moaning and griping but hold the Laker fans to a different standard. Way to keep your biases from affecting you fella.

BTW Technical Lead hit the nail on the head. Its the type of calls he gets. Wade comes galavanting down court taking ten steps and then proceeds to run into a crowd with no hope of making a bucket, flop and *TWEEET*. FOul, time for FTs. Or so goes the perception.

The perception is that he gets those calls at key moments when he really needs them. The thing is though that a lot of other superstars do too. But since Wade got that total bogus call in the finals that helped Miami take the series lead, and the phantom calls in the subsequent games, people just watch for games where the whistle favors him. So everytime the kid goes off for 20 or so FTAs in a game they're like "see the refs always give him calls!" even if it only happens once in every 10 games or so. I can't hold it against wade for taking advantage of that. Infact I wish Kobe or Lamar got the same kinds of calls he does because let's face it, its all good if it favors your team.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Thing is, I know Wade is a tough guy. He grew up on the mean streets of Chicago. That's why I loved him his rookie year. And that's why I don't understand how he has turned into such a ballerina. He cries like Nancy Kerrigan did when she got hit with a crowbar. He didn't complain his first year, and he didn't really complain his second year. Then in year 3, he turned into this pansy. The Wade we saw his rookie and sophmore year is the real player. I loved him then. He didn't get the pub Bron, and Melo got, and he just went out there and played his heart out and didn't whine and moan. He also drove just as much then, but now he gets an extrodinary amount of calls. In reality, without all the ticky tacks he gets and the blatant miss calls which put him on the line, Wade is a low 20 ppg scorer.
    Yes, every single person inthe hood is tough

this same lame ass topic again?

same bitter laker fans talking the same nonsense....... If laker fans (kobe groupies) aint complaining about the east being weak, then they are b*tchin about wade..

you dudes are pathetic

Wade gets his fair share of calls, and I doubt heat fans complain very often of him not getting calls or not being treated fairly by the referees, but it's the smart way to play. If a player realizes that he is getting calls, the smart thing to do is to continue playing in a way that will ensure that you continue to get those calls. Though his flopping is a tad excessive, he's just trying to get whatever advantage he can. Perhaps it's not the most admirable way of playing, but neither are a number of the other tactics players use to gain advantages.

People that complain about Wade are:

45% Kobe Groupies
    45% Bitter Dallas Fans
    10% Other

And not one Wade detractor in this thread adequately responded to blaze's points.

In other words, you're full of shyt and want to just believe what you want to believe without even bothering to defend your "points".

I am obsessed with demonizing Kobe

"Laker fans", Kobe groupies, and some idotic Mavs fans (not all are stupid, but most)...what a great combination. Even before the playoffs, Mavs fans (again, not all), were the 2nd worst group behind the groupies.

The funny thing is, Wade gets as many free throws as Kobe...except for the fact that Wade attacks the rim relentlessly, while Kobe doesn't have the heart/passion/desire/street hunger to attack the rim as much as Wade. Not to mention Kobe is clearly ranked 1, no close second, in phantom calls this century.

As far as last year's Finals, there was only one bad call that favored Wade...and that was the push on Dirk Nowitzki. That's it. If you think there are other ones, post videos...and I will completely DESTROY any questions once I get home later tonight. Some of you need to smarten up in reality, and basketball.

I am obsessed with demonizing Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by jan803
    now i don't think kobe gets his fair share of calls when he does drive to the basket, but i admit i have a fan's bias. but at least the guy will keep going inside and not let non-calls affect how he plays his game.
    YOU = delusional. He was strictly a perimeter player last year.

And he's also the most anti-clutch player to date. 21.4% in game winning shots, low to mid 30% shooter in the last 5 minutes of a close game.

Kobe = clutch? Now that is what we call PERCEPTION, and delusional.
    Last edited by AKA AAP; 12-04-2006 at 12:13 PM.