Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

Default Re: Just watched Blade Runner for the first time...

Lucio Fulci's theme from Zombie creeps me out:

Blu Ray

Check out this badass RJD2 song that heavily samples sounds and music from Suspiria: Weather People

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Oh BTW I have a great one you guys have probably never seen that isn't well known. It's available on Instant queue now and I watched it last month and was very pleasantly surprised. It plays out like a Stephen King movie/novel. That kind of creepiness where you're thinking the whole time "Wtf was that!?" or "Wtf just happened". Of course it also comes with a crazy twist in the end. It creeped me the hell out lol.

It's called "Dead End" with Ray Wise as the lead.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308152/

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Have you seen "The Ninth Gate" with Johnny Depp?

Yeah, I actually went out and bought that on dvd after seeing it on cable. I thought it was awesome. Yet another one of those movies where you walk away asking questions though. To this day, I still wonder if the blonde broad was the Devil, and wtf was the deal with the castle?

Makes perfect sense. It's like the difference between a horror film and a thriller/suspense etc.

Both are horror/suspense movies. The pacing in them is what drives you up the wall the most, and plays with your senses. By the end of the movie, you're climbing up the walls just dying to find out wtf the big deal, and or secret is because they've been putting you "on edge" the entire time. One is creepier though, and I believe its Suspiria, due to the style in which the director films.

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    You should look into Argento's entire filmography if you liked Suspiria, his style is universal throughout his career, although Suspiria's sound effects and music were better than anything he ever did.

Everyone is telling me to go for that as well. Im probably going to search through Netflix.

Oh BTW I have a great one you guys have probably never seen that isn't well known. It's available on Instant queue now and I watched it last month and was very pleasantly surprised. It plays out like a Stephen King movie/novel. That kind of creepiness where you're thinking the whole time "Wtf was that!?" or "Wtf just happened". Of course it also comes with a crazy twist in the end. It creeped me the hell out lol.

It's called "Dead End" with Ray Wise as the lead.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308152/

I saw that one late night on cable. Its creepy as shit considering that the movie takes place on just one highway in the middle of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
    Lucio Fulci's theme from Zombie creeps me out:

Iconic scene from the movie is that damn eyeball scene.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    I saw that one late night on cable. Its creepy as shit considering that the movie takes place on just one highway in the middle of nowhere.
    I know! The chick in the beginning.. that they just invite into the car. You could tell that bi*** was bad news! I would of driven off as fast as possible! Did it have that Stephen King feel in your opinion? We seem to have similar taste in movies. If you see any others on Netflix bump this thread. Have you seen Invasion of body snatchers or mad max? I just saved those.

Blu Ray

Yeah, I actually went out and bought that on dvd after seeing it on cable. I thought it was awesome. Yet another one of those movies where you walk away asking questions though. To this day, I still wonder if the blonde broad was the Devil, and wtf was the deal with the castle?

Both are horror/suspense movies. The pacing in them is what drives you up the wall the most, and plays with your senses. By the end of the movie, you're climbing up the walls just dying to find out wtf the big deal, and or secret is because they've been putting you "on edge" the entire time. One is creepier though, and I believe its Suspiria, due to the style in which the director films.

Everyone is telling me to go for that as well. Im probably going to search through Netflix.
    Suspiria is actually part of a trilogy, and I use the word trilogy loosely. It's not really a trilogy like say...Back to the Future, more like the Man With No Name, where the same theme or symbolism is used. It goes Suspira, Inferno and then Mother of Tears

Start off with that to finish off the trilogy if you'd like.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

Iconic scene from the movie is that damn eyeball scene.

Also the shark vs zombie underwater which was in a commercial not too long ago.

I know! The chick in the beginning.. that they just invite into the car. You could tell that bi*** was bad news! I would of driven off as fast as possible! Did it have that Stephen King feel in your opinion? We seem to have similar taste in movies. If you see any others on Netflix bump this thread. Have you seen Invasion of body snatchers or mad max? I just saved those.
    The chick may have been bad news, but she was hot in that movie, so I can see how someone wouldnt want to say "no" to that.

To be honest, im kind of surprised that its a King production...it doesnt have that feel at ALL to me.

Maybe im just used to his 90s shit like Pet Cemetary, the Langoliers, and Creepshow. Things that he was involved with, but the direction on the films had a cheesy feel to them. And while Dead End was cheese as well, it was pretty damn good too....not saying the others werent good, but it didnt feel the same. I dont know...

And I saw the Invasion of the Body Snatchers on there, but havent watched it yet. Mad Max...I watched that 100 years ago...I need to rewatch, because I hardly remember it.

I recently watched Jim Hensen's the Dark Crystal. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    Suspiria is actually part of a trilogy, and I use the word trilogy loosely. It's not really a trilogy like say...Back to the Future, more like the Man With No Name, where the same theme or symbolism is used. It goes Suspira, Inferno and then Mother of Tears

Start off with that to finish off the trilogy if you'd like.

So none of the films have really anything to do with each other?

Quote Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
    Also the shark vs zombie underwater which was in a commercial not too long ago.

Right, because a zombie, battling a shark is awesome. It teeters on being "epic"

I just watched the trailers for Inferno, and Mother of Tears...

Inferno looks awesome. Cheesy 70s horror!

Mother of Tears looks......kind of awful.

The theme music is one of the best ive ever heard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJUaCAIxSk4
    Don't even get me started. The Supiria soundtrack was done by an act called Goblin, and they have made a shit ton of awesome soundtracks for Italian movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    akira ripoff
    You're so ****ing stupid. "Do androids dream of electric sheep?", the novel Blade Runner is based on, is from 1968, and the movie is from 1982. The manga Akira started in 1982 and ended in 1990, and the anime is from 1988 I think. I'm well aware of your verbal diarrhea, but please stop talking out of your ass, especially if you're going to say retarded shit like this. Blade runner doesn't have anything to do with Akira.
    Last edited by Lebowsky; 04-01-2011 at 06:01 PM.

I just watched it for the first time and damn, left quite an impression. I wasn't really impressed until the end, then it got me. If there is a feeling like this after I watch a movie, I know it was great...
    And I don't even like film noir and dystopian setting.

   

i didn't read all of page two's replies, but didn't see anyone point out HOW AWESOME RUTGER HAUER WAS IN THIS MOVIE!

also of interest was that the GF from wall street who was also the mermaid in splash! played one of the replicants in a pretty interesting role. not sure if anybody here remembers that stuff, but whatever. also, the novella that the movie was based on has some very interesting themes and sideplots that we don't see in the movie:

- most animals are extinct or have had their numbers heavily reduced, so owning an animal and caring for it in public is like driving a porsche these days. the pressure is so great that if you can't afford a real animal, you buy a synthetic animal and pretend to care for it just like the real thing.

- when you wake up in the morning you walk over to a mood-modifying machine and dial in the mood that you want for the day. it doesn't fully satisfy, though, which is why rick deckard's wife tends to dial in moods of depression and anger.

- the concept of church and god has been replaced by an electronic empathy box that you grab the handles of and share a group experience of a christ-like figure walking up an endless hill being pelted by small rocks.