Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good college starter

Default Future of the Spurs

The Spurs to me look like they are running out of gas as the years have gone by.

I like George Hill and Dejuan Blair as the Future of the Spurs.

I like George Hill's game as a scoring PG. I think the Spurs should look for a SG (Point Forward) type of player to play next to George.

LaceDarius Dunn from Baylor

Terrico White from Ole Miss

JP Prince from Tennessee.

Good college starter

Default Re: Future of the Spurs

Willie Warren has been working out with the Spurs and Rockets.

I would actually like to see Willie Warren with the Spurs.

A backcourt of Warren and Hill.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/05...#ixzz0nzywUvgT

Good college starter

The Spurs have alos worked out Derrick from GA Tech and Paul Geroge from Fresno St.

Everybosy has probably seen what Derrick Fvaors can do and has been compared to Al Horford of the Atlanta Hawks.

Paul George is SG-SF. Some have been debating if he can play SG in the NBA but he has some upside.

YouGotServed
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Do you guys think Duncan should retire? Because I was watching a video from that 'bball breakdown' guy on youtube and he thinks Duncan should retire. So I was wondering how does the Spurs community feel about this.
    Last edited by YouGotServed; 05-26-2010 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouGotServed
    Do you guys think Duncan should retire? Because I was watching a video from from that 'bball breakdown' guy on youtube and he think Duncan should retire. So I was wondering how does the Spurs community feel about this.
    I'm not a Spurs fan but I was wondering the same thing.
    Should they trade him while he still has good value?
    Is that like a blasphemous thing to suggest?

Good college starter

How do you guys feel about Lance Stephenson if the Spurs were to draft him?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Many many questions the Spurs hav this off season.
    First (obviously is to retain Duncan and minumize his minutes)
    --------
    Unfortunately Amare S. is having a great year , if he would of slipped , he would of been a great acquistion for the Spurs ...
    So here is my thoughts :
    Like Robinson was giving over the reins to Duncan , Spurs need to find a legit big to play along side Duncan. (and really take over the offense)
    Hill IMO could become a SG with Parker running the point.
    Ginobli - if he wants back , should stay in the 6th man roll , but minimize his minutes as well.
    Jefferson - just needs to learn the system , once he does , he may become a better defender than we would expect from him.
    Blair is a minutes man, but not a focal point , never will.
    Now if Spurs could swing a deal and get B. Bass from Orlando / Blair and Bass could be pretty good on the weakside.
    I still think they need to find a legit high PPG type guy and that might need to come from the SG position besides a scoring center.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Chad Ford said today Parker for Troy Murphy/Brandon Rush/pick 10 is a rumor floating. I think that's a bit much for Parker, maybe Indy adds their 40th pick and SA adds their 20th.

Good college starter

Their have been rumors that the Spurs will try up in the draft to get a big man with their pick or that they will use the 20th pick on Elliot Williams from Memphis.

Good college starter

Spurs are talking to Da'sean Butler

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...dividual-3509/

Do you think this will be the year that Tiago Splitter would play in the NBA and more importantly, play for the Spurs?

If Tiago does play alongside Duncan, it will be twin towers all over again.

They are rumors that he's definitely coming over, I've even heard that the deal is already done.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by idizzle
    The Spurs to me look like they are running out of gas as the years have gone by.

I like George Hill and Dejuan Blair as the Future of the Spurs.

I like George Hill's game as a scoring PG. I think the Spurs should look for a SG (Point Forward) type of player to play next to George.

LaceDarius Dunn from Baylor

Terrico White from Ole Miss

JP Prince from Tennessee.
    George Hill is nowhere near good enough to build around. A player who's not known for much besides scoring is not what you build around. . .AT ALL. He is like Jamal Crawford only with some defense. The role he was in last season is the role best suited for him.

Blair, while good, has very suspect knees and I do not expect him to actually have a "full NBA career". He's going to be an 6-10 season guy. You can't build around that either.

Remember, these guys were picked 26th and 37th (I think I have those numbers right). They're good pieces, but you can't build around them.

What SA has done this offseason, I am happy with. Anderson was arguably a #6-10 pick, but dropped due to his hamstring injury which is obviously going to heal eventually. They also signed Splitter who is only 25, and is a legit top 10 C. Not that the pickings at C are that deep or anything. . .

SA will put up an impressive year this year imo. They even have a shot at a championship. They have all the pieces right now that are needed for one. The only arguments against it are than Duncan is a couple years out of his prime, and Manu is a year or so out of his. They are nowhere near sucking though. Parker's still young, Jefferson should be better. Blair will be better, Hill will be just as good or better. Now they have Splitter to fill a big void that's been there for years. They also lucked out and had Anderson drop to their draft spot.

After this year, and yes, it's probably going to start looking bad since TP will probably be gone. . .and it will become obvious that Hill is not capable of filling his shoes. Duncan also has one pretty good year left. Right now. After that, even though I love the guy, he obviously can't be relied upon to carry the load for the team anymore.

However. . .if they can work out a deal with Timmy to have a smaller contract so they can possibly sign a guy to come in and help. . .who knows if they'll be able to get back in the running again. With the way they've been working their moves though, it's kind of obvious they're going to just stick with Timmy and go down with the ship until he retires. Just have to hope Pop can kick Splitter in the ass hard enough to grab more boards.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

I think fans as well as ISH are trying to figure out what Duncan is thinking besides the Spurs ... what , when .

I think Duncan has at least two more years in him , if his minutes are cut even more.
    Guys like him are more valuable playing great all out play in 25 minutes or less , than 30 minutes stroking the floor.

Problem is no one knows how Splitter will adapt .. if at all.

Spurs are old school - big fella as focal point of offense and defense, and they might have to steer away from this unless they could land a Lopez.

Hard to believe but the Spurs are a playoff team , and they are smak dab in a transition period for their franchise

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    I think fans as well as ISH are trying to figure out what Duncan is thinking besides the Spurs ... what , when .

I think Duncan has at least two more years in him , if his minutes are cut even more.
    Guys like him are more valuable playing great all out play in 25 minutes or less , than 30 minutes stroking the floor.

Problem is no one knows how Splitter will adapt .. if at all.

Spurs are old school - big fella as focal point of offense and defense, and they might have to steer away from this unless they could land a Lopez.

Hard to believe but the Spurs are a playoff team , and they are smak dab in a transition period for their franchise
    How is it hard to believe they're a playoff team when they won 50 games last season with several injuries to all of their key players? They have proven time and time again that they're a good team regardless of injury.

Tony Parker: Was injured for nearly HALF of last season. Played through 30-some games with plantar fasciitis, and had to sit out many games because of it as well.

Ginobili: Played diminished minutes for a long period of time due to sore ankles.

Duncan: Sat out of a lot of games with everyday pains.

Blair: Wasn't fully recovered from knee issues.

Richard Jefferson: Didn't fit into the team properly until very late in the year.

Bonner: Not nearly as useful as he was the year before.

Mason: His play dropped off, and has not been resigned.

So. . .all of their big 3 were missing games or playing through injury for an average of at least 1/3rd of the season EACH. They still did not have a real center to play with Duncan (second year in a row), and their bench was not up to snuff.

Tony Parker: Declined to play for team France, so he will be healthier next season. He played for them every year in the offseason which was making him miss games during the regular season. His production will clearly go up next season since the odds of him remaining healthy are higher.

Ginobili: Same as with Parker, only for Argentina, not France. Ginobili will take the offseason for rest and regular training, and no full on games so save wear and tear on his body. Likewise with Parker, the odds of him remaining healthy for once are higher. His production will go up overall.

Duncan: With his minutes held down, I dont' expect a dropoff in production at all. It will be roughly what it was last year, 5% better or worse. Roughly the same.

DeJuan Blair: A player everyone likes, and feel was a steal for the Spurs late in the draft. Has put up multiple 20/20 games last season, and is working on defending PFs better this offseason. Another year for Blair to get better = good news for the Spurs.

George Hill: Just like Blair, another now apparent steal late in the draft. He's proven to be a very reliable player off the bench last season. He's had an extra year to train and get better. This is good for the Spurs.

Tiago Splitter: The defensive center the Spurs have obviously been lacking for years. Spanish league MVP, one of the best european players for the last few years. Another intelligent draft choice for SA years ago. With his mindset, and style of play, he will fit in perfectly with SA.

James Anderson: The widely agreed "best shooter of the draft" last season. Yet another good player who the Spurs drafted late in the draft. Depending on just how bad his injury was, he will make an impact for the Spurs sooner or later. Regardless. . .it was yet another good, late first round pick for SA.

Richard Jefferson: He can't possibly be worse than last season. He'll be better. He was also playing much more productively in the last 1/4th of the season as opposed to the first 3/4ths. He was fitting in nicely and rotating on defense properly.

Summary: With few exceptions, nobody who knows anything about the Spurs thinks that the Spurs are worse this year than last year. They are going to be better at nearly every spot on the roster, including Parker/Ginobil. The only players who have more than a 20% chance of being worse than last year are McDyess, and negligable player at this point, and Duncan who won't be much worse if he is at all.

With the improved health, and increased rest for all the important Spurs players, and added years onto all of the good young players, as well as the addition of Splitter and Anderson, there's no way in hell the Spurs are missing the playoffs. They are a top 4 seed. Good chance at top 2-3. Book it.
    Last edited by SinJackal; 07-29-2010 at 01:14 AM.