Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: Assassin's Creed 4 new gameplay

I'm only just getting accustomed to using the mortars, in spite of the fact that I've got them upgraded to I think one below the max. I think I need a plan to finish them.

They're awesome though. It's like getting a head start in a battle. If you position yourself right you can sometimes get two rounds of them off before the other guy gets close.

And they're very very useful for taking down forts.

Sunshine State

I'm on sequence 12 right now so I'm almost done with the game. But I'm trying 100% it so I have to get literally everything. I haven't even attempted the hard forts yet because I suck at fighting them (And naval combat in general), so I'm trying to make the Jackdaw a bamf but it's a pain in the ass looking for metal and wood.

I have very little left to upgrade. I know I need to max out the Ram, but other than that I think the Jackdaw is complete.

I own all the weapons that are buyable. And all the clothes except the whalers outfit, again that are buyable.

I've done all the assassination contracts. Found all the miscellaneous chests. Done all the sunken ship stuff.

I've gotten to a point where I have to do main storyline missions, because there isn't much left to do. However, storyline wise I just got marooned on a new area with Vane that revealed some new chests and animus figures and the such. So some more map stuff may open up. I'm missing a map item that's has coordinates in middle of open water, so I'm guessing something's gonna pop up there at some point.

The other thing I just started doing is screwing around with my fleet. I'm not entirely sure what the point is. My fleet is pretty gnarly. I have 13 Man O' Wars, and 1 Friggette. So my success percentages are pretty high. It has motivated me to continue fighting, because now when I see a Man O' War, I typically go after it so I can replace any in my fleet that are dinged up, and collect the gems you get from sinking them to buy more docks. The little naval battles you do in there that are like old fashioned turn based RPG battles are weird to me. But so far I've not left port with less than a 98% chance of success. It's like a stranger version of the previous game's caravan sequence.

The reason to do the fleet stuff is it gives you more maps, and also money for trading. (regular and diamonds) A cool thing is though sometimes at sea you can run into one of your ships being attacked when they're coming back from or leaving for a mission and you can help them out.

Also you might have made your fleet to good. It helps to have a schooner and a couple frigates and brigs for the lower rated missions to open up the higher rated ones. because if you send your man o wars in all the time, you'll wind up spending more money repairing than you need too. I mean you'll win regardless but you can save some money that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    The reason to do the fleet stuff is it gives you more maps, and also money for trading. (regular and diamonds) A cool thing is though sometimes at sea you can run into one of your ships being attacked when they're coming back from or leaving for a mission and you can help them out.

Also you might have made your fleet to good. It helps to have a schooner and a couple frigates and brigs for the lower rated missions to open up the higher rated ones. because if you send your man o wars in all the time, you'll wind up spending more money repairing than you need too. I mean you'll win regardless but you can save some money that way.

So if it opens more maps, does that mean it's possible that's why I have a treasure map telling me there's a treasure in the middle of open water? Perhaps the map opens up to put something there?

That's a good point about the cost of repairing the man o' wars. When I had my fleet started at first, I was a bit more diverse. And I considered the cost of repairs, but I determined that I can make more diamonds off of not repairing Man o' Wars, and instead replacing them as they wear down with other ships, because scrapping them out of your fleet yields tons more gems. It does feel like an old RPG. I've liked it so far.

Haha, I did 0% of the fleet stuff. I thought it all had to do with online stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    So if it opens more maps, does that mean it's possible that's why I have a treasure map telling me there's a treasure in the middle of open water? Perhaps the map opens up to put something there?

That's a good point about the cost of repairing the man o' wars. When I had my fleet started at first, I was a bit more diverse. And I considered the cost of repairs, but I determined that I can make more diamonds off of not repairing Man o' Wars, and instead replacing them as they wear down with other ships, because scrapping them out of your fleet yields tons more gems. It does feel like an old RPG. I've liked it so far.
    Yep that could be why, I think mine did the same thing as yours. Until like sequence 11 you won't have seen all of the world.

Ah that's a good point! I didn't think of that. I think that the fleet stuff is actually interesting because it yields valuable maps, some cash, and really isn't time consuming what you get.

Sunshine State

The fleet stuff is so tedious, I just hate that you need to do it to get the 3 extra maps. they're the only things I need left to get 100% on the collectibles.

Then I have to do all the naval missions, then 100% a few sequences.

I've been in the habit of checking into the captain's quarter almost every time I board my ship to check on what I can buy or what I need to look for, like more metal or wood or whatever. Up to recently, that was plenty, but as I'm running out of things to work toward to buy, I started doing the fleet stuff. I started just sending one thing out, but now I'm sending out every possible thing I can every time I check in, and do any of the naval battles that are there.

I'm pretty much cleaning it up before I start playing from mission to mission.

Anyone find a white whale, I haven't ran into one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Hero
    Anyone find a white whale, I haven't ran into one yet.
    Yep. If you're on PS4 I can share the location with you, what's your GT?

I've found two white whales, but need a third one to finish off a costume or something. And I can't find them now. If you can send it to me. I'm Thorpesaurous on there too.

I finished the Vane mission last night which got my boat back. Stripped that plot of land clean. Then went to Africa after the Sage, finished that mission, and had to go back to wipe out that plot of land.
    After that I figured I'd try my hand at the legendary ships again, and though it took a few tries each, I managed to take out three of them. Took that money and threw it at my home base. Probably something I should've done earlier. But I can feel myself getting closer to really maxing things out. I think the last thing I have left with the Jackdaw is Fire Barrell Capacity. It's only like 4K, with a few hundred bits of cargo to do it, but I need the plan for it, and right now I'm supposing it's behind this tiny chunk of beach that the game won't let me access at the moment that I have a treasure map for.

Negative, I'm on PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    I've found two white whales, but need a third one to finish off a costume or something. And I can't find them now. If you can send it to me. I'm Thorpesaurous on there too.

I finished the Vane mission last night which got my boat back. Stripped that plot of land clean. Then went to Africa after the Sage, finished that mission, and had to go back to wipe out that plot of land.
    After that I figured I'd try my hand at the legendary ships again, and though it took a few tries each, I managed to take out three of them. Took that money and threw it at my home base. Probably something I should've done earlier. But I can feel myself getting closer to really maxing things out. I think the last thing I have left with the Jackdaw is Fire Barrell Capacity. It's only like 4K, with a few hundred bits of cargo to do it, but I need the plan for it, and right now I'm supposing it's behind this tiny chunk of beach that the game won't let me access at the moment that I have a treasure map for.
    Okay I'll add you tonight. I might have only gotten 2 out of the 3 whale locations. I think I wound up buying the last skin I needed. I might have found it later though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Hero
    Negative, I'm on PS3.
    Damn you!!