Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 916171819

Default Re: Wiggins and Jabari are facing off tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
    Jordanesque body type and agility. It was a joy watching him play tonight.

A no-brainer at #1 imo.

Hope he continues to improve his J and ball handling.

Default Re: Nov. 12, 2013 game thread: Kansas vs Duke

Even if Parker turns out like Melo or Pierce, you still take Wiggins with the number one pick.. he is that good

Good reading this morning. There's nothing like a good ol' ISH overreaction thread.

Local High School Star

I'm not sure why so many of you think Wiggins will be the next best thing in the NBA. Yes, he's extremely athletic and has lots of upside, but as of now, he has a shakey handle, shakey jumper, limited playmaking skills, can't go left, is rail thin, appears to lack intensity, and doesn't exactly demonstrate a high bball iq. People comparing him to Lebron at the same stage is laughable.

That said, although he may end up outdoing Parker in 2-3 years, he's absolutely not a better basketball player than Parker right now.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    I'm not sure why so many of you think Wiggins will be the next best thing in the NBA. Yes, he's extremely athletic and has lots of upside, but as of now, he has a shakey handle, shakey jumper, limited playmaking skills, can't go left, is rail thin, appears to lack intensity, and doesn't exactly demonstrate a high bball iq. People comparing him to Lebron at the same stage is laughable.

That said, although he may end up outdoing Parker in 2-3 years, he's absolutely not a better basketball player than Parker right now.
    That's a bit presumptuous.

Parker played great last night, but his stats ended up similar to Wiggins when all was said and done, and Wiggins played only 25 minutes compared to 33 by Parker.

I look at a few things that would set Wiggins apart:
    -he did it in the clutch with NBA type plays. The step back jumper is unstoppable at any level, he wins that footrace to the 3pt play dunk against most pros, and his second jump right now might be the best on the planet.
    -his team won.
    -his team was a different team when he was on the floor. Playing off him must be a joy.

He has time to fill out, he has time to smooth out the rougher patches of his game, in fact, a lot of the herky jerkiness in his game is due to the insane quickness he plays with.

I loved what I saw from Parker last night, but he faded in the clutch, and I worry about his ability to be a superstar.

Wiggins thrived in the clutch, and made the plays he needed to make.

Great players make big plays in big moments.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    That's a bit presumptuous.

Parker played great last night, but his stats ended up similar to Wiggins when all was said and done, and Wiggins played only 25 minutes compared to 33 by Parker.

To be fair, 90% of Wiggins points were transition/fast break/layup points. He did very little to demonstrate that he can score at will in a half court setting and had a very very quiet 22 and 10.

He's a nice player, but I just don't understand all the type...kind of like how I didn't see the hype with Shabazz Muhummad.

I really liked what I saw from Selden last night. Great frame, good decision-making, showed the ability to make tough shots, etc. I liked Embiid a lot too because of the potential he has. He is a much better passer and has better instincts than I would expect from a guy who didn't start playing bball until he was 16.

I do agree that Wiggins looks raw as hell out there, which isn't an indictment on the kid but just what it is right now. It is pretty exciting to see him post really strong number given how much room he has to improve.

Parker looked awesome. I do like the comparison nbadraft.net gave him of Carmelo. He will probably be a less explosive but more well-rounded version of Melo as a pro, which is arguably better for building a winning team. Not an elite athlete but he really knows how to play and shows good leadership on the court.

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

Does anyone know where I could download this game? Will rep.

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    To be fair, 90% of Wiggins points were transition/fast break/layup points. He did very little to demonstrate that he can score at will in a half court setting and had a very very quiet 22 and 10.

He's a nice player, but I just don't understand all the type...kind of like how I didn't see the hype with Shabazz Muhummad.
    Well actually 90% of that 90% were layups/dunks in the half court, not transition dunks. lol In the first half he made 3 fg's before getting into foul trouble. One was a drive through the lane with a spin and bank in. The next was a cut and dunk in the half court. The next was a smart cut and lay up. Second half he had two transition dunks. The rest were half court makes including the step back to seal the game or ft's.

Here's the thing with over hyped players, people tend to over exaggerate their faults. People comparing him to Parker are now talking about him as though he's a guy putting up 11/8 and will be drafted high purely on potential.
    Here's the thing, he is raw and he will be drafted on potential, but he did still put up 22/10 playing against a top 5 team, playing 10 min less than the other two while not being anywhere as refined as Parker. He would have put up better stats than Parker if not for foul trouble. If you can't see why that would impress scouts then I don't know what to say. Some guys just have that presence on the court.

Why did Wiggins outscore Parker 16-8 in the second half? I'm not worried about Parker at all. He will be great. But for someone who is "clearly" the better player, he sure pulled a "wiggins" (unassertive) when it mattered most. What's your take on this? Maybe we can say it was just one game for both guys? Maybe?

On another note, Parker may be the most smooth player in the country, not just freshmen. The dribble pull up is a lost art form in college (even the NBA lol) and he has it on lock already. Just needs to show up when it matters most.

For the NBA he needs to lose a few pounds I think as well. Said already that he looks a little TOO heavy on his feet. Sure Melo isn't super fast, but Parker needs to be more agile especially to guard small forwards.

It looked to me that Parker has already lost some weight since getting to Duke. I think he will find his ideal playing weight eventually and stick there.

I was impressed with Wiggins as a cutter. He made some nice reads on the defense and got easy buckets just by making good cuts. It is a really underrated skill for a young guy like him and it will serve him well in the NBA. I think there definitely is a bit of a bias against those kinds of points because they don't have a high degree of difficulty and are therefore less impressive to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by TheReturn

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_.../#type/replay/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheReturn
    Bookmark this:

http://www.sport-video.org.ua/en.html

I get all NFL, NBA and college games from there. Very good quality.

Banned

Anyways, just finished watching the game there. Both guys played great. I think Jabari will be the better college player, but Wiggins will be the better NBA player.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    Bookmark this:

http://www.sport-video.org.ua/en.html

I get all NFL, NBA and college games from there. Very good quality.
    Wow. Thanks man! Will rep when i can.