Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Prime Steve Francis vs Russell Westbrook

Both have very similar skillsets

Who's the better player:

Steve Francis in his prime or Russell Westbrook?

Default Re: Prime Steve Francis vs Russell Westbrook

Francis was somewhat of a better rebounder in his prime, but Westbrook is a better playmaker and even a scorer aswell i think... When speaking of athleticism Francis probably matches Westbrook on the dunking part, but Westbrook is more gifted athlete overall (mostly due to his speed/quickness)... Defensively they are pretty much the same...

Westbrook i feel holds an edge overall over a prime Francis

Stephon Marbury is a better comparison to Westbrook (Stephon was better than Francis), all very similar style players at similar size/position... including Derrick Rose...

1. Prime Rose
    2. Prime Westbrook/Marbury
    3. Prime Francis
    Last edited by pauk; 12-08-2012 at 06:36 AM.

Westbrook

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Westbrook for sure. Francis was a very good PG and a better rebounder but that's about it and I'm a big Francis homer.

Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

Westbrook.

The thing is Francis came into the league at 22 while Westbrook just turned 24 and has 5 years of experience.

I think that gives Westbrook the edge because of the years to develop

Francis true prime was as quick as his decline.

Overall talent-wise Francis was better than Westbrook is right now.

Westbrook is a more athletic Gilbert Arenas.

I don't know why this discussion comes up. It's not close. I don't know if Francis was more talented, but I know he wasn't half as good.

He's less of a PG than Westbrook is. He doesn't have Westbrook's will. It's not close.

Marbury is not much of a good comparison. Marbury is absolutely a PG. He became obsessed with being a star, but he was always a PG. Even when he was ballhogging, he was a PG. Westbrook is a combo guard. Their styles aren't similar. Marbury was 1v1ing every play. Westbrook doesn't wait for that; he attacks the rim and puts the defense on its heels.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

I am no huge Westbrook fan but this isn't even close. Lemme see, would you rather have a guy who dribbles out 23 seconds of the shot clock or a dude who can actually make a play? It's a pretty simple answer. Yes a comparison to Marbury would be more suitable and although I actually liked Marbury the few years he was good (cause he was pretty damn good and light years better than francis) I think that Westbrook will be rembered as better than Marbury and will probably win a championship.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    I am no huge Westbrook fan but this isn't even close. Lemme see, would you rather have a guy who dribbles out 23 seconds of the shot clock or a dude who can actually make a play? It's a pretty simple answer. Yes a comparison to Marbury would be more suitable and although I actually liked Marbury the few years he was good (cause he was pretty damn good and light years better than francis) I think that Westbrook will be rembered as better than Marbury and will probably win a championship.
    That pretty much echoes what I was going to say. It's Westbrook, easily.

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    Westbrook is a more athletic Gilbert Arenas.

Westbrook has no where near close to the shooting ability of Gilbert Arenas

Westbrook. He has a great motor that helps him on the court. Francis, with similar quickness and hops didn't have that motor.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder

Their styles of play aren't similar at all.

its westbrook already... and he hasnt even reached his prime. he probably won't for another few years. he is improving every year and already is either the best or in the discussion as the best pg in the league.

francis was damn exciting... but like already a few have said, he could have and SHOULD have been so much better for much longer.

The question though is a PRIME Steve Francis which I don't think he's being compared as. It's easy to pick Westbrook due to current situation. Had Steve Francis played with the second best player in the game, let's a say a Kobe Bryant at his prime, I think he'd be viewed alot differently. Put Westbrook in Francis's situation and I don't think he'd be heralded nearly as high.

Just last year you guys were ready to crucify Westbrook, I don't see him as all too different this year.