Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Karl Malone's bastard TMac&Luther's Avatar

Default Re: Can Shane Battier dunk?

Quote Originally Posted by allball
    Outstanding? dude he hasn't averaged more than 10 a game since his rookie year. he shot .410 last year and is shooting .400 this year. he's an 8 PPG 4 reb playoff performer for his career.

the Rockets gave up Rudy Gay for this stiff who is a good defender but doesn't do nearly enough to be called outstanding.

Scottie Pippen was outstanding. Grant Hill was outstanding. Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis are very good. Shane is the definition of an average role player. yeah he plays d but this guy was a college player of the year and a number 6 pick.

a 6'8" wing who won't throw it down for his team cause it's not his style? that's a disgrace.
    LMAO, you apparently know nothing about basketball intangibles. Battier is a championship caliber glue guy. Sad thing is, he's never been surrounded by championship caliber players. Yes, Batter can't jump out of the fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]king gym like Rudy Gay.......but guess what? Houston isn't winning 50 games with fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]king Rudy Gay either. (BTW, has Rudy Gay ever even played on a 50 game winning team before?) Which is something Houston has done year in and year out since they made the trade for Battier regardless of which star "stat sheet filling up" player ended up on I.R. for the season. Sad thing is without Yao and pretty much without McGrady, Battier will still help lead this team to a 50+ game winning season...he just makes winning plays.

But NO!!!, We should've kept Rudy Gay who hasn't done jack sh[COLOR="Black"]i[/COLOR]t in this league (but man, he sure can dunk. ) The last time Memphis was even relevant is when they had Shane Battier on their roster. The last time they even sniffed a 50 game winning season was with Shane Battier. Infact they made the playoffs for 3 consecutive years with Battier (only years Battier has not been in the playoffs during his career was his rookie and sophomore seasons) and then the second they traded him, they went from a 49 game winning playoff season to having the worst damn record in the league.......and they've been stuck there ever since. But But But...Rudy Gay flies so high. Wow when he runs by, the gust of air blows panties off the chicks in the cheap seats. Too bad he can't do what really matters......like win basketball games and get his team to the playoffs, but damn the stats are sexy.
    Last edited by TMac&Luther; 12-17-2009 at 03:52 AM.

Scribbles
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Outstanding? dude he hasn't averaged more than 10 a game since his rookie year. he shot .410 last year and is shooting .400 this year. he's an 8 PPG 4 reb playoff performer for his career.

the Rockets gave up Rudy Gay for this stiff who is a good defender but doesn't do nearly enough to be called outstanding.

Scottie Pippen was outstanding. Grant Hill was outstanding. Turkoglu and Rashard Lewis are very good. Shane is the definition of an average role player. yeah he plays d but this guy was a college player of the year and a number 6 pick.

a 6'8" wing who won't throw it down for his team cause it's not his style? that's a disgrace.
    You do know that a role player that plays above average defense and can hit the 3 pt shot on offense is worth at least MLE right?

National High School Star allball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    You a stat junkie? As a player given his ROLE ... he's outstanding.
    not at all. but he's not outstanding in his role. Michael Cooper was outstanding in his role and put up similar numbers. but he was a bench player and Coop would throw down a back breaking dunk every now and then.

Maybe I watched too much Scottie Pippen in my day...sorry.

Decent college freshman

lmao @ pip being a mere role player

Saw a basketball once

stats aren't the sole measure of basketball skill you know

Quote Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
    LMAO, you apparently no nothing about basketball intangibles. Battier is a championship caliber glue guy. Sad thing is, he's never been surrounded by championship caliber players. Yes, Batter can't jump out of the fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]king gym like Rudy Gay.......but guess what? Houston isn't winning 50 games with fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]king Rudy Gay either. (BTW, has Rudy Gay ever even played on a 50 game winning team before?) Which is something Houston has done year in and year out since they made the trade for Battier regardless of which star "stat sheet filling up" player ended up on I.R. for the season. Sad thing is without Yao and pretty much without McGrady, Battier will still help lead this team to a 50 game + winning season...he just makes winning plays.

But NO!!!, We should've kept Rudy Gay who hasn't done **** in this league (but man, he sure can dunk. ) The last time Memphis was even relevant is when they had Shane Battier on their roster. The last time they even sniffed a 50 game winning season was with Shane Battier. Infact they made the playoffs for 3 consecutive years with Battier (only years Battier has not been in the playoffs during his career was his rookie and sophomore seasons) and then the second they traded him, they went from a 49 game winning playoff season to having the worst damn record in the league.......and they've been stuck there ever since. But But But...Rudy Gay flies so high. Wow, when he runs by the gust of air blows panties off the chicks in the cheap seats. Too bad he can't do what really matters......like win basketball games and get his team to the playoffs, but damn the stats are sexy.
    good try. but Memphis had many issues besides Battier leaving. Gasol had injuries the next year and then he left the next. you think Battier staying was going to save that team? they lost several role players that next year and a lot of scoring.

if you swapped Rudy and Shane right now, you think Memphis would win 50 games? the Rockets would still have a solid defender in Ariza who could stop jacking so many shots and still be just as effective and Gay could give them offense and some decent defense playing with a better coach and guys like Hayes, Landry and Scola. with Rudy and Ariza the Rockets would be just as good if not better.

guys like Battier are much easier to replace than guys like Gay. and Rudy can do a lot more than just dunk...but he can and will dunk.

also the year Memphis won 50 games they had James Posey. they never rose above that level with Battier and I do believe in Shane's rookie year (like Rudy's) Memphis only won like 24 games and they were near awful the next year with Shane on their roster.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyer23
    lmao @ pip being a mere role player
    didn't mean to imply that. the guy initially said outstaning player not role player. he did start out as a role player though.

Dennis Rodman was an OUTSTANDING role player and he rarely scored. this aint about stats. it's about playing with balls.

I only brought up stats cause the guy said he was an outstanding player. even not considering stats Shane is complimentary at best. there's nothing outstanding about him.
    Last edited by allball; 12-17-2009 at 04:12 AM.

Karl Malone's bastard TMac&Luther's Avatar

good try. but Memphis had many issues besides Battier leaving. Gasol had injuries the next year and then he left the next. you think Battier staying was going to save that team? they lost several role players that next year and a lot of scoring.

if you swapped Rudy and Shane right now, you think Memphis would win 50 games? the Rockets would still have a solid defender in Ariza who could stop jacking so many shots and still be just as effective and Gay could give them offense and some decent defense playing with a better coach and guys like Hayes, Landry and Scola. with Rudy and Ariza the Rockets would be just as good if not better.

guys like Battier are much easier to replace than guys like Gay. and Rudy can do a lot more than just dunk...but he can and will dunk.

also the year Memphis won 50 games they had James Posey. they never rose above that level with Battier and I do believe in Shane's rookie year (like Rudy's) Memphis only won like 24 games and they were near awful the next year with Shane on their roster.
    What the hell does Posey have to do with this.....um Battier was on that team too But let me guess, that glue guy gets props, but Battier is just a bum. Must be, because Posey dunks huh?

Also Gasol played 60 games during that train wreck of a season.....still doesn't explain having the worst record in the league after being in the playoffs the year before. If Rudy Gay was half as good as you're trying to make him, his talent would've picked up the other 20 games.

Rudy Gay puts up empty #s.......THOSE PLAYERS are easy to find. I haven't regretted that trade one single day since it happened. Rudy Gay is not a winner, he's Tmac with healthy - the elite scoring ability. All flash, no substance. Who the fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]k cares about a player who puts up empty stats on a s[COLOR="Black"]h[/COLOR]itty team year in and year out? I'll take the "stiff" that plays on a winning team year in and year out, even if he goes unnoticed by people who act like you have to be able to dunk a ball to be good in this league.

I could really care less about Rudy Gay.....honestly, you would've been better served bringing up any player except him. I have never liked that guy....he's a natural born loser.
    Last edited by TMac&Luther; 12-17-2009 at 04:18 AM.

I rule the local playground kap's Avatar

Umm, yeah....Battier can dunk. He had a pretty good one this season. He just doesn't do it very often, it's not his style.

BTW, Scola can dunk too, but he also doesn't do it very often.......not his style either. Both players are content with just laying it off the backboard.
    looks like he's literally taking a **** on the kobster

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by kap

I usually hit open layups

What the hell does Posey have to do with this.....um Battier was on that team too But let me guess, that glue guy gets props, but Battier is just a bum. Must be, because Posey dunks huh?

Also Gasol played 60 games during that train wreck of a season.....still doesn't explain having the worst record in the league after being in the playoffs the year before. If Rudy Gay was half as good as you're trying to make him, his talent would've picked up the other 20 games.

Rudy Gay puts up empty #s.......THOSE PLAYERS are easy to find. I haven't regretted that trade one single day since it happened. Rudy Gay is not a winner, he's Tmac with healthy - the elite scoring ability. All flash, no substance. Who the fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]k cares about a player who puts up empty stats on a s[COLOR="Black"]h[/COLOR]itty team year in and year out? I'll take the "stiff" that plays on a winning team year in and year out, even if he goes unnoticed by people who act like you have to be able to dunk a ball to be good in this league.

I could really care less about Rudy Gay.....honestly, you would've been better served bringing up any player except him. I have never liked that guy....he's a natural born loser.
    dude Rudy is in his 3rd year. Rockets have more veteran talent than Memphis. Gay is playing with Mayo, Conley, Gasol and Thabeek all young players and they are pretty competitve right now for a young team.

so how many wins does Battier add to that 22 win team? hmm

Rudy is relevant because that's who he was traded for.

I brought up Posey because he was more crucial to that team than Shane.

hey cool if Shane's your guy, I'm sorry.

Kobe's not even paying attention as if play has stopped.

championship caliber glue guys:

Rick Fox
    Ron Harper (in his later years)
    Gary Payton
    James Posey
    Tayshaun Prince
    Michael Cooper
    Joe Dumars
    Bobby Jones
    Bruce Bowen
    Dennis Johnson
    Don Chaney
    Dennis Rodman
    Scottie Pippen (glue and then some)
    Maurice Cheeks
    Walt Frazier (great on both ends)
    Last edited by allball; 12-17-2009 at 04:54 AM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Still doesn't negate the fact that I haven't been infactuated with everything "dunk" related since I was six, seven, and MAYBE eight years old.

It's such a miniscule aspect to the game.
    I agree that Shane Battier is a pretty darn good player considering his role and I agree it's not necessary by any means that he dunk to justify his ability.

However, I must admit that I am much older than eight and I still absolutely love the dunk. For me, it's one of my favorite moments in all of sports and a big part of what makes basketball so entertaining.