Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Welcome to the Charlotte Bobcats fan forum!

We sure do.

Charlotte 98
    Boston 95

We always play Boston exceptionally well. I just hope Ray Allen doesnt put another dagger in us like he did last year.

Not your average OWL onewickedlady's Avatar

Well tonight we have the pleasure (?) of watching both of our teams play. It's a good thing that the Bobcats are playing out-of-town because that way they aren't disheartened because everyone is at the Panthers game rather than at Time-Warner Arena!!

There's a thread on the Mavs forum posing a (hopefully) hypothetical scenario. Posted by someone who's from Chicago, he asks if anyone would go for trading gordon for Crash.

Just saw it, I'll probably go share my opinion.

On who may replace our injured Crash: (Thanks to Bonnell who surely has redeemed himself of late).

http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_th...er-martin.html
    January 28, 2009
    Sources: Bobcats close to signing Cartier Martin

I haven

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat4Ever
    I think it's great that the team moved so quickly on this.
    Given this guy's stats, if he can perform then this doesn't look good for Ammo as far as minutes go.

Please explain "Bird Rights." Simply, please.
    Thanks.

[quote=onewickedlady]On who may replace our injured Crash: (Thanks to Bonnell who surely has redeemed himself of late).

http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_th...er-martin.html
    January 28, 2009
    Sources: Bobcats close to signing Cartier Martin

I haven

Quote Originally Posted by onewickedlady
    Please explain "Bird Rights." Simply, please.
    Thanks.
    Thank you Wikipedia.

The Cats have four back-to-backs next month (March). What the referees don't do to take games from us the schedulers do. BTW Chris Kaman is apparently injured enough to be out for the rest of the season.

Yeah, any chance to get him won't happen till the time of the draft probably.

I hate Bonnell's attitude about the possibility of the Cats getting into the playoffs. He puts his not so subtle negative spin on any opportunity that he gets. This is an interesting article, nonetheless.

Bobcats on a familar road for Brown
    Coach's trend is to start slow with a new team, retool the roster, then finish strong.
    By Rick Bonnell
    rbonnell@charlotteobserver.com
    Posted: Thursday, Mar. 05, 2009

Bobcats coach Larry Brown, in his 24th NBA season with his ninth team, has guided his teams to eight 50-plus win seasons, 17 playoff appearances and one NBA title – with Detroit in 2004.

It doesn't happen every time Larry Brown takes over an NBA team – the New York Knicks were bad when he showed up and worse when he left – but the pattern is well-documented.

The 1981-82 New Jersey Nets opened Brown's first season 3-12. They finished that season with a 9-1 kick. They reached the playoffs, a complete shock at the time.

The 1993-94 Indiana Pacers started 1-6 under Brown. They won their last eight regular-season games, then advanced all the way to Game7 of the Eastern Conference Finals (losing to the Knicks).

The Charlotte Bobcats will be lucky to squeeze into the eighth and final playoff spot in the East. But their course this season fits almost precisely what one of Brown's former players, Mike Gminski, predicted a week before training camp.

Gminski played center for Brown as a Net. Now the former Duke player lives in Charlotte and does television as a college basketball analyst.

Gminski envisioned most everything that has happened to this team: How the players would look physically and mentally exhausted in the preseason. How they'd flounder in November (a 3-9 start). How the roster would churn (a league-high 23 players and three major trades). And how they'd emerge mid-season stronger for the experience (win Friday against Atlanta, and they match a team record with five straight victories).

Then Gminski made one final prediction:

“Watch,” Gminski told the Observer in September. “They make the playoffs.”

Brown tends to deconstruct a team, essentially trashing the room before redecorating in his own vision.

“I think, as a staff, we hold them accountable to do the things they do best. We have values we hope everybody understands about sharing the ball and rebounding and defending,” he said Wednesday.

“Not everybody buys into it right away.”

It's a sort of Social Darwinism. Those who don't fit are quickly moved (Adam Morrison and Matt Carroll) and even those who might fit (Jason Richardson and Jared Dudley) can be moved for those who fit better (Boris Diaw and Raja Bell).

Brown said Wednesday that the Bobcats more resemble that Pacers rebuilding project than the Nets.

That's because of the roster moves the two teams made.

The Pacers traded a go-to scorer (Detlef Schrempf) for a versatile power forward (Derrick McKey).

Brown links that to the Bobcats giving up Richardson to acquire Diaw.

Then the Pacers signed veteran guard Byron Scott, a player Brown compares to Bell in maturity and savvy.

Brown says both the Pacers and Nets were deeper than this Bobcats team, so he's not promising similar results.

But he sees the parallels.

“You demand a lot and I don't let up,” Brown said of his expectations. “I don't want to ever ask anything of someone he's incapable of doing. But I've found all pros want to get better. If they know you care – that you're trying to improve them – they buy in.

“As a result, they all buy in together and do the things good teams do.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/bob...ry/577194.html
    Last edited by onewickedlady; 03-05-2009 at 07:32 PM.

For another take:

Bobcats are playing like a playoff team
    By Tom Sorensen
    tsorensen@charlotteobserver.com
    Posted: Wednesday, Mar. 04, 2009

Bobcats down Bulls

If you haven't seen the Charlotte Bobcats recently, you haven't seen the Charlotte Bobcats.

I can't write about their work against the Chicago Bulls Tuesday without gushing. They were smart and entertaining and unselfish. They hustled and played hurt and played defense. They won 96-80.

I have never seen them better. They've beaten better teams, of course. But they never looked as good doing it.

This is how the Bobcats score their first six baskets.

Raja Bell hits from 20 and 19 feet, Gerald Wallace hits a layup, Emeka Okafor dunks and hits two layups.

Boris Diaw assists on the first four baskets, Bell on the fifth and Raymond Felton on the sixth. That's six baskets and six assists. The Bobcats finish the first quarter with 11 baskets and 10 assists and score 32 points. In the old days, they scored 32 in a half.

There are many ways to win. Consistently finding a teammate who has a better shot than you do is as good as any.

Apparently we are now 1 1/2 games out of 8th place.