Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17242526272829 LastLast
    erudite

Default Re: Its official... Shaq to Suns

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Mash would have benefited from an open style but it's not about whether Zo is as good as Ewing so much as it is what way best suited his personnel. I'm guessing that Riley figured if he turned the team lose the team would lose it's defensive principles. Regardless, he won enough to justify his style. They had some fifty-win teames, I think even one sixty-win team.
    Maybe you do have to take personalities into account but..But With Zo and PJ Brown as your backline leaders I don't think you lose defensive intensity at any time with any style...Tim Bug and Mash struggled to play the kinda D Riley expeected Marjee legs were done...they wouldn't have won much more you and he are right there...but relying on ZO in the post is one of the reasons they were on one of the biggest upsets (seed wise) in NBA history. ansd slowing down guys who are so explosive in transition for a guy who basically serviceable in te post and making them adapt is the essence of dysfunction...similiar to stopping NASH now for the Current SHAQ

Dunking on everybody in the park gabeh1018's Avatar

Default Re: Why didn't the Suns pursue a Marion/Banks for JO Deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
    Because JO is more busted up and useless than 36 year old Shaq.

36 year old Shaq > JO

Simple equation, really.

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Has anyone heard anything from Marion?

Quote Originally Posted by Rab
    There's been so much focus on the Phoenix/Shaq side of the trade. I'm curious to hear any quotes from Shawn on the deal.
    yeah i called him yesterday. He had no comment

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KWALI
    Maybe you do have to take personalities into account but..But With Zo and PJ Brown as your backline leaders I don't think you lose defensive intensity at any time with any style...Tim Bug and Mash struggled to play the kinda D Riley expeected Marjee legs were done...they wouldn't have won much more you and he are right there...but relying on ZO in the post is one of the reasons they were on one of the biggest upsets (seed wise) in NBA history. ansd slowing down guys who are so explosive in transition for a guy who basically serviceable in te post and making them adapt is the essence of dysfunction...similiar to stopping NASH now for the Current SHAQ
    Zo was a 20 ppg guy, not like Shaq is now (14) and that Heat team didn't have the explosive potential of the current Suns (Golden State Hardaway may have been close to Nash but Miami Hardaway was a bit worn down). It's not that severe.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Re: Shaq Press Conference

Quote Originally Posted by statman32
    Cant wait. I skipped school to watch it.
    Amazing......

Must be a class project, right?

Default Re: Has anyone heard anything from Marion?

I think you get the jest of it.
    u forgot to throw in the severeal lip licks

Quote Originally Posted by FireMcFailPlease
    anyone who sees this trade as a bad move by phx probably cant tell the difference between a football and a basketball
    Well, Marion was a big part of the success in Phoenix. I don't think it's a stretch to say that this trade might cost them some seeding...

Playoffs are a different story, though. If he can turn back the clock to 2006, he can win them a championship.

This is really a safe play by Kerr, next year Shaq is a huge expiring contract. They can send him away next year (assuming they don't win this year) for the 2009 version of Pau Gasol.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    he and the entire team (not just magic....
    Must be the Magic Johnson version of events.

I'm not even going to go into a long thing about it but if you truly believe that Paul Westhead of all people was going to install a slow down offense I got a bridge for sale you might be interested in.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick27
    They can send him away next year (assuming they don't win this year) for the 2009 version of Pau Gasol.

uhmmmmmm Marc Gasol>

on topic i think shaq can bring the best in amare but i dont know where it can take them... the western conference is a hard road getting to the WCF. so goodluck to phoenix suns fans

In It to Win It

As time goes by, I like this move more and more.
    You know what, at first I thought the Suns had lost their mind for doing this, but now I'm skeptical - I'm starting to think it's a fairly even trade, given Shaq's motivation.

shhhhhhh

Must be the Magic Johnson version of events.
    no actually it's the jerry buss version, he said it on an interview show on fox sports (between the lines?)...

westhead only coached the team for 14 games, he himself has said he didn't really appreciate magics talents (he was just a rookie) at the time and felt the team would be better suited to a slower tempo that would enable them to utilyze kareems talents...

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    no actually it's the jerry buss version, he said it on an interview show on fox sports (between the lines?)...

westhead only coached the team for 14 games, he himself has said he didn't really appreciate magics talents (he was just a rookie) at the time and felt the team would be better suited to a slower tempo that would enable them to utilyze kareems talents...
    I don't trust a word that comes out of Jerry Buss' mouth. That kat could tell me the sky is blue and I'd still look up to double check.

Where and when did Westhead say this?

I find it impossible to believe that Paul Westhead would magically go against the very core of his coaching style to make an obvious fastbreak team into a slow down team.

Quote Originally Posted by ForceOfNature
    You know what, at first I thought the Suns had lost their mind for doing this, but now I'm skeptical - I'm starting to think it's a fairly even trade, given Shaq's motivation.
    Shaq is going to be motivated. He always starts out motivated, but of course we all know what eventually happens; he proves people wrong and then he just goes back to being unmotivated.

It's funny when you think about it.

I just saw the Suns' press conference and Shaq said "Y'all are gonna be surprised", regarding to his ability to run with the Suns and keep up and score and rebound. Can't wait to see how he fits in. Still haven't heard a word from Marion yet. Hopefully he hasn't hung himself.

Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Suns officially get Shaq, Heat get Shawn Marion, Marcus Banks

I've thought about it a little more and I understand exactly what Phoenix is thinking. Their half court offense is essential to championship success and Shaq can and will control that paint. That's really all that is required of him and with less pressure Shaq will look like his old self. Now that being said nothing is written in stone. They already had a good chance to win a title. Shawn Marion wanting out of a winning franchise makes no sense. Winning is more important than money. In the pros it's all about pride.

I did'nt see this coming at all. 24 hours before the deal went down I was on this site saying, "I don't know about this trade." The Lakers getting Gasol made sense, but the Suns did'nt exactly NEED Shaq. They were already good. I'll tell ya'll this the Suns are an even more serious contender now. The way they adjust withoust Marion remains to be seen. I mean he was a matchup nighmare in the season, but real talk in the playoffs he was ineffective at times. Fact is the Suns will be a beast in the playoffs.