Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: NBA No Longer Interested In European Expansion

they would probably have to set up a schedule where the european teams play each other a disproportionate number of times, and maybe only do a western conference road trip every other year or something. it's hard to see how they could work it out so every team plays each other at least twice a year like they do now

Banned

There's no need for further expansion. Expanding into Canada is enough. We got 30 teams in the league, we don't need anymore to dilute the talent.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Brick Rick
    There's no need for further expansion. Expanding into Canada is enough. We got 30 teams in the league, we don't need anymore to dilute the talent.
    This, the NBA should look to market, itself everywhere thou. Especially selling jerseys and other items.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    That's impossible under FIFA rules.
    lol, I was speaking hypothetically. Thanks though professor.

Banned

In regards to the China discussion, I think Oceania should form it's own league and combine that whole region into one. Help raise the salaries and maybe attract some NBA drop off talent to the league. They've had Singapore in the australian league in the past why not go all the way and form one league.

The NBA should expand it's D-League into Europe, that way the D-League could become a competitive rival league to their struggling Euroleauge for the title of "Best league in Europe"

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    The NBA should expand it's D-League into Europe, that way the D-League could become a competitive rival league to their struggling Euroleauge for the title of "Best league in Europe"
    I smell Euroleague bait.

Samurai Swoosh

Finally ditching this dumb worldwide expansion idea, kick started in the late 90's.

It's called the NATIONAL Basketball Association for a reason, Stern.

Don't out kick your coverage, when you over extend yourself too much that can be bad for business as well.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Came in here to post this but on a more serious note. The D-league could be much more popular if it were hosted in Europe IMO. Also I think all pre season games could be held in Europe/Asia. I wouldn't say I vehemently support these but it's food for thought.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Came in here to post this but on a more serious note. The D-league could be much more popular if it were hosted in Europe IMO. Also I think all pre season games could be held in Europe/Asia. I wouldn't say I vehemently support these but it's food for thought.
    If D-League teams could be hosted in larger Euro cities as well it would help generate revenue for those teams and also make them more attractive to potential D-League player, would you rather go play in Paris while trying to make the NBA or play in Canton? Could be a legit route for HS players who want to skip college and play abroad. Doesn't even have to be a shot at the talent levels of the Euro-League like some people are treating it, the D-league would get attendance based on the NBA connection and the majority of the league being American players (who in alot of casual fans minds rank higher then everyone else even if it's b.s)

I rule the local playground

Long plane rides take a huge toll on the players even if they travel in private jets and stay at at the best hotels. Imo its unfair to the players on those overseas teams if it were to happen. Imagine if one of those overseas teams were to make it deep into the playoffs. Thats about 8 round trips back and forth between continents. I don't care if you're the best athlete in the world its going to have a negative affect on your body.

Even as a European myself, I'm glad to hear this. Call me old fashioned, but I don't want to see the NBA 'tampered' with. It's a successful formula, and I just feel the expansion is unnecessary. I don't think it would make hardcore Euro Basketball fans suddenly love the NBA either. Hell, they'd probably have more disdain for it for potentially breaking up some Euro teams. While it would be a big change for the NBA, not many people seem to acknowledge the ramifications it would have on the European leagues.

Something I'd be much more interested in is seeing NBA regular season games played over in Europe. Especially in London. NFL are doing it, Wembley stadium will be hosting a few games over the next few years. The O2 Arena in London is an NBA ready venue and has already hosted a lot of pre-season games.

Not that I'm biased.

Stern is so full of shit. Everyone in Europe knew this was a complete fantasy that the NBA could ever compete with big European clubs in the market in Europe.

European fans always laughed at this craziness. No NBA team can compete with Real Madrid, Barca, Olympiacos, PAO, Fener, etc. in their home markets.

The economic analysts must have finally told him how nuts he was. The NBA can't just swoop into Europe and out the Euroleague and it's big clubs, or even mildly compete with it in its own market.

They could have a team in London and maybe one in Paris, and that's about it. This was always a complete fantasy by Stern. European fan base is cemented as hard as stone with their own clubs and they would have absolutely no interest in supporting NBA teams.

The ONLY way that would have ever worked was if Stern wanted to make a European division using existing European clubs, or if he wanted to make a world championship game between the Euroleague winner and the NBA winner.

This idea of his of making 5 "expansion NBA franchises in Europe" was always totally insane and absurd, as it could never work. Apparently, he finally realized that.

Quote Originally Posted by WesWelkerACL
    Don't know why not, I'd be excited if the English Premiere League was expanding into the United States.

But anyone that's traveled from California to Europe knows what a bad idea it was. The jet-lag is absolutely brutal.
    NBA teams would totally bankrupt in Europe, just like NFL Europe did. Europeans only care about their own clubs, which they have been supporting for decades. They won't leave that club affiliation which to them is like a part of their culture and way of life, to see an NBA expansion team.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

It's not like it was ever going to happen inside of at least a decade anyway. The league wants to go to Europe they need at least an entire division there. Even for football it'd be hard to make happen logistically, let alone a game where there's 2/3 games a week.