Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: 06,09 Wade vs Kobe

2006 kobe was on a different level. Dude was amazing that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    Yup. Payton said the same.

06 Kobe>>06 Wade
    09 Kobe>09 Wade

Wade didn't surpass Bryant until Kobe left his prime in 2010...
    Agree with this.

Injures has really Hurt Kobe the past two years.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    It's contradictory if you rank players based off accolades and titles (i.e., Wade winning Finals MVP + ring in 2006 and vice versa in 2009 with Kobe). Off individual skill-sets though? I think it's fair to say Kobe is a more well-rounded player than Wade.

Maybe that's just me though?
    The main argument for 09 Kobe over 09 Wade is Kobe's playoff run which was definitely superior (not just the championship or accolades per say but the performance itself) but 06 Wade had a playoff run much superior to Kobe's as well who I thought was rather subpar against the Suns defense given what he had achieved in the season.

It doesn't add up to me.

If you base it on individual skill-set Kobe is better than Wade right now too and that's really not the case.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ZaaaaaH
    Why not? Because ur a Wade fan so Wade has to be better then Kobe no matter what?

Kobe was EASILY the BEST player in 06. Its Amazing how these young kids forget things so quick these days. No one was even close to being good as Kobe in 06 amazing how these fools are delusional and cant tell who can Play ball and Who just like to rack up stats.

09 Kobe was slightly better then Wade due to his finger and Knee with age but pretty Obvious who was the best Guard at the time and LeBron Kobe neck and neck being the Best Player. But Once again LeBron fails to make it to the Final with having the Best record and Pointing fingers at his teammates for their failure.
    I didn't say Wade was better than Kobe in 2006. I said I would take Kobe in 2006 and Wade in 2009.

Did that post hurt your feelings?

Very good NBA starter

06 Kobe could have very easily averaged 35 PPG against that Suns team, but the Lakers would have lost in 4-5 games. He completely changed his style and became more of a play-maker/passer to take advantage of the Suns interior D and it nearly worked. Lakers were a rebound away from winning that series. It wasn't a sub-par series at all.

7-time NBA All-Star

I have them like this.

2006 Kobe>2006 Wade
    2006 Kobe>2009 Wade
    2009 Wade>2009 Kobe(though it's very close)
    2009 Kobe>2006 Wade

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    06 Kobe could have very easily averaged 35 PPG against that Suns team, but the Lakers would have lost in 4-5 games. He completely changed his style and became more of a play-maker/passer to take advantage of the Suns interior D and it nearly worked. Lakers were a rebound away from winning that series. It wasn't a sub-par series at all.
    Agreed and he came through with a big scoring game to nearly end it in game 6. Almost closed out the team with 50. He carried the team out of necessity and when he finally had another player playing like a borderline all-star in the second half(Odom), the Lakers were on pace for over 50 wins. But in the first half, Odom was his usual inconsistent self and after Kobe and Odom, the Lakers didn't have much. Smush Parker and Chris Mihm were pretty much it, and Mihm got injured and only played 13 games in the second half.

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

I find 06 Kobe very overrated. Maybe it is just me but I found Kobe's 08 and 09 season much more impressive than Kobe's 06 season. Sure Kobe scored a lot better in 06, but he did a lot of other things better in 08 and 09. I like versatility and the overall package in my players.

Dwyane Wade was the best player in the world after the 2005-2006 season.

I would have no problem with someone putting 09 Kobe over 06 Wade, but I do have a problem with someone putting 06 Kobe over 06 Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r
    I find 06 Kobe very overrated. Maybe it is just me but I found Kobe's 08 and 09 season much more impressive than Kobe's 06 season. Sure Kobe scored a lot better in 06, but he did a lot of other things better in 08 and 09. I like versatility and the overall package in my players.

Dwyane Wade was the best player in the world after the 2005-2006 season.

I would have no problem with someone putting 09 Kobe over 06 Wade, but I do have a problem with someone putting 06 Kobe over 06 Wade.
    how old are you?

ThaSwagg3r

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    how old are you?
    Old enough to know there is more to the game than scoring. I watched Kobe in 2005-2006, sure it was amazing, but it is not like that was his best season ever.

Old enough to know there is more to the game than scoring. I watched Kobe in 2005-2006, sure it was amazing, but it is not like that was his best season ever.
    Kobe was a lot better in 05-06 than he was in 09. The difference was the cast and role he had to play. No one put Wade even in the conversation with Kobe in '06. It is revisionist history to pretend they were on the same level. Wade had a great series in the finals and people pretend he was better than he was for the entire season. Wade was a limited player in '06.

this is even before we put in there defensive capabilities.

ThaSwagg3r

Kobe was a lot better in 05-06 than he was in 09. The difference was the cast and role he had to play. No one put Wade even in the conversation with Kobe in '06. It is revisionist history to pretend they were on the same level. Wade had a great series in the finals and people pretend he was better than he was for the entire season. Wade was a limited player in '06.
    Limited in what way? Because he couldn't shoot 3s? Awesome, it's too bad he still shot 50% while Kobe was shooting his typical 45%. I really don't know why people act like being good at shooting the 3 is a necessary feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2CyJdCq-zU

Kobe was better in 05-06 than he was in 08 and 09? Sure he was a better scorer, but that's pretty much it. It's not like Kobe couldn't score in 07-08 or 08-09 either, he just did other aspects of the game.

Let me ask you this, who is better? Kevin Durant or LeBron James, right now.

Limited in what way? Because he couldn't shoot 3s? Awesome, it's too bad he still shot 50% while Kobe was shooting his typical 45%. I really don't know why people act like being good at shooting the 3 is a necessary feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2CyJdCq-zU

Kobe was better in 05-06 than he was in 08 and 09? Sure he was a better scorer, but that's pretty much it. It's not like Kobe couldn't score in 07-08 or 08-09 either, he just did other aspects of the game.

Let me ask you this, who is better? Kevin Durant or LeBron James, right now.
    i agree the 3 point shot is very overrated

What did he do in 09 that makes up for the large gap in scoring?

this is even before we put in there defensive capabilities.
    Of course no was going to put him in the conversation Kobe was in his prime had already won 3 rings and was hyped up as the next Jordan. Wade on the other hand was in his 3rd year and was a player no one really cared about. I don't think anybody at the time really compared the two.

ThaSwagg3r

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    What did he do in 09 that makes up for the large gap in scoring?
    Kobe actually scored more in the 2008 and 2009 playoffs than he did in the 2006 playoffs. (30 ppg vs. 28 ppg) But honestly, I thought Kobe played better defense, made more plays for his teammates, and was more of a team player during those seasons than he did in 2006. I know that Kobe literally had to score 30-40+ ppg in order for his team to win in 2006. I still like team play, and I know I can't knock on Kobe for not being too much of a team player back in 2006 because he just couldn't do that if he wanted to win.

The playoffs to me is what separates 08 and 09 Kobe from 06 Kobe though. Regular season dominance doesn't hold that much weight to me. Otherwise, I would be saying LeBron James is the best player in the league and Rose is a top 5 player currently, which I believe are both false.

That is why I think 09 Kobe was better than 09 Wade. Wade was better than Kobe in the regular season but he wasn't better in the playoffs. Wade was just not that impressive in the 09 playoffs, he just wasn't. Sure he scored 29 ppg but he shot 44% which is completely below his standards. Wade typically shoots 49-50% in the field, 5-6% decrease is pretty drastic, that decrease is something Karl Malone would have.

I value the playoffs much more than I value the regular season.