Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Krust Kingz

Default Re: Melo his future....

I want this to be clear....

If Melo decides to opt out this is where my trepidation comes from. I just cant see this guy value to the Knicks by getting over 25 mill.

In My Humble Opinion for the Knicks...

Be the face of the franchise. When you think Knicks do you think Melo? I dont. I dont see him as representative of the Knicks Organization. When I think of other team names their best player automatically pops in my head.

Max Player is the reason fans come to the games at home or the road etc...

Leadership. Max Player earns the respect from his teammates by leading by example as well as the commander of the locker room. The players believe in him to keep them in games or helps wins games.

Max Player is the MAIN ingredient to a Championship.

This is what a Max Player should be for the Knicks. Where I disagree with Franchize is he describes a Max Player for a team like the Hawks or Pelicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    I want this to be clear....

If Melo decides to opt out this is where my trepidation comes from. I just cant see this guy value to the Knicks by getting over 25 mill.

In My Humble Opinion for the Knicks...

Be the face of the franchise. When you think Knicks do you think Melo? I dont. I dont see him as representative of the Knicks Organization. When I think of other team names their best player automatically pops in my head.

Max Player is the reason fans come to the games at home or the road etc...

Leadership. Max Player earns the respect from his teammates by leading by example as well as the commander of the locker room. The players believe in him to keep them in games or helps wins games.

Max Player is the MAIN ingredient to a Championship.

This is what a Max Player should be for the Knicks. Where I disagree with Franchize is he describes a Max Player for a team like the Hawks or Pelicans.
    Your argument has been pretty solid throughout this thread but this is just going a little too far.

We all know for a fact when the average NBA fan hears the word Knicks, the first player that comes to mind is Melo.

I am of the belief that the players you keep around are the players who can be a significant piece on a championship winning team. Carmelo Anthony has the talent, ability, and versatility as a scorer to be a significant piece on a team that wins a title. Tyson Chandler has shown he has this ability, but at the money he's making, we should be asking if he is the one who's worth it, not Melo.

Amar'e used to have this ability, but his window is shut. Look at the rest of the Knicks roster. Just about none of these guys have this ability, aside from promising young players like Hardaway and Shumpert.

Our front office is just about blind as to what makes a championship team, and this is why we have such a bad record.

Gut the roster aside from Melo, Shump and Hardaway, and build from there with talented players who actually can impact a game on the court and the questions about Carmelo Anthony will come to an end.

I don't blame him for opting out at all, the Knicks have built nothing to win with. The blame should solely be on the shoulders of Dolan and the front office.

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

So when you think of the Knicks, you don't automatically know who's their best player? Are you ****ing serious? This team probably has the biggest drop off between #1 and #2 in the league.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

melo is the best player on the team, that cant be denied.

But thats the biggest problem...he aint good enough to be a teams best player if winning something meaningful is the desire.

Either you trade for someone better...and there's at least 15 that are....

Or you walk away from melo when he opts out.

Decent college freshman MellowYellow's Avatar

Knickcity already listed quite a few players already. Still no one has said what qualifies him as a max player, what he brings to the table.
    That list doesn't mean anything and there is no evidence that any of those players are better than Melo.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MellowYellow
    That list doesn't mean anything and there is no evidence that any of those players are better than Melo.
    other than eye test and impact...you're right there's no evidence.

Just for this post....add Blake Griffin to it....that dude is carrying the Clippers now even without CP3.

playing defense and knocking down jumpers and threes along with good passing and running the fastbreak.

I'm tempted to put Chris Bosh in front as well....but I'll be nice.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    So when you think of the Knicks, you don't automatically know who's their best player? Are you ****ing serious? This team probably has the biggest drop off between #1 and #2 in the league.
    I said when I think Knicks I dont automatically think of Melo. When you say Clippers you automatically think CP3 Blake, GSW Curry, Thunder Durant Westbrook, Heat Big 3,.... Thats what I am saying. Brooklyn too. When I think of Brooklyn I dont think Deron or Lopez, Atlanta falls into that situation as well there are probably a handful of teams when you hear the name their really isnt a face attached to that organization.

I will reiterate if Melo opts out I wouldnt pay him 25 plus mill....

Its too late to think if Chandler or Stat are worth it. They are in the middle of their egregious contracts. Its safe to say neither has lived up to that money. So its irrelevant.

Mellow Yellow what evidence have you provided that Melo is worth or isnt worth that money.... or even provided anything that states those 15 players arent better. This isnt an attack just really curious what people base some of these opinions on.

I said when I think Knicks I dont automatically think of Melo. When you say Clippers you automatically think CP3 Blake, GSW Curry, Thunder Durant Westbrook, Heat Big 3,.... Thats what I am saying. Brooklyn too. When I think of Brooklyn I dont think Deron or Lopez, Atlanta falls into that situation as well there are probably a handful of teams when you hear the name their really isnt a face attached to that organization.
    That's because when you think of the Knicks you think of embarrassment....like every other Knicks fan. And that is because of the GM.

Also, I'd beg to differ that Melo isn't the face of the franchise. Obviously he is or else Amare would share EQUAL blame seeing how he gets paid MORE than Melo does. #FACTSONLY

Starts with ownership, management, coaching staff and downwards.

We're known to bring popular players that have potential or are all star material and sink the careers of those players. It's because of our leadership as an organization, it needs a huge change. Carmelo's value didn't go down, but he's being mocked and he's being embarrassed out there. Carmelo isn't the problem.

No matter how you put it, how you slice it, Carmelo can leave and go somewhere better because he is talented and he can score. He can leave us with absolutely nothing. Because he owes us nothing, he's done his job. Let's be serious we can't beat the thunder, pacers, heat, warriors, Spurs, in a series. If we make the playoffs we will lose, and then what. Free agency? New coach?

This franchise needs to start ground up like the pacers did, rebuild through draft picks trades, and work with what we have.

Self destruction. Can we really pull a star second option max player under melo? I highly doubt it at this point. The true question is what is stoping melo from leaving?

Krust Kingz

That's because when you think of the Knicks you think of embarrassment....like every other Knicks fan. And that is because of the GM.

Also, I'd beg to differ that Melo isn't the face of the franchise. Obviously he is or else Amare would share EQUAL blame seeing how he gets paid MORE than Melo does. #FACTSONLY
    I dont think Amare gets a pass but he's out of sight out of mind. I blame the FO for Amare. This guy was going to break down everyone in the league knew it but the Knicks didnt care.

I just wish Melo had a little more MOTIVATION, FIRE, LEADERSHIP win at all cost. Give me everything you got on the court take control of the floor and locker room. He needs to be "THE MAN".

I dont think Amare gets a pass but he's out of sight out of mind. I blame the FO for Amare. This guy was going to break down everyone in the league knew it but the Knicks didnt care.

I just wish Melo had a little more MOTIVATION, FIRE, LEADERSHIP win at all cost. Give me everything you got on the court take control of the floor and locker room. He needs to be "THE MAN".
    I think he does though. I think he is ridiculed excessively because he has a laid back personality. Mellow if you will. Everyone ain't a rah rah type of guy. I see him turn it up when he plays guys like LeBron. I see him increasing his rebounds this year. I've seen him pull guys like JR to the side and have man to man talks. At some point, we gotta stop with the "make others better" talks and start holding guys accountable for improving and stepping their own games up. Shump improved his jumpshot and Amare worked on his post game. Other than that, what role player has really added to their game?

Krust Kingz

I cant see Melo staying unless they dump Stat. I dont think he is going to bother to wait until Chandler and Stat money comes off the books.

My opinion:
    1. Because he lead the league in scoring last year and is like #2 this year.
    2. Because I personally feel he's one of the best players in the league.
    3. Because no player I feel is better than Carmelo will be available. Ex. We don't have a shot at LeBron and Durant will be part of the Thunder for years to come.
    4. Despite our record this year, we overachieved last year and I personally think he was the biggest reason why.
    5. Because he is one of a handful of players who can truly compete head up with LeBron James.
    6. Because we don't have draft picks or many assets to replace a player of his caliber.
    7. Because he's the best player we've had since Patrick Ewing. I do recall us paying Allan Houston a shit load of money btw.

So there's my rationale. People on this board have readily said "why should we keep him?" and "we should just blow it up". well there's my answer. Now I'd love to see everyone's plan once we "blow it up". The bottom feeder teams "blow it up" all the time. Cap space doesn't win championships tho. So what's the plan when we do get rid of the disease that apparently Carmelo Anthony is lol?
    I totally agree. We haven't had a player like this guy since Ewing. I for one don't want to wait another 10+ years to acquire a talent like this. We gave up a lot to get him, but he's here now and we have a second chance at getting it right. I like Melo; he's won me over with his rebounding and personality... certainly not the same Melo who played under Karl. He doesn't deserve half the hate he gets here.

Decent college freshman MellowYellow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    other than eye test and impact...you're right there's no evidence.

Just for this post....add Blake Griffin to it....that dude is carrying the Clippers now even without CP3.

playing defense and knocking down jumpers and threes along with good passing and running the fastbreak.

I'm tempted to put Chris Bosh in front as well....but I'll be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MellowYellow
    Don't even bother dude. He's "smarter" than all of us.