Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knee sprain

Decent playground baller the_chosen_1's Avatar

Default Re: Knee sprain

Quote Originally Posted by Atrokkus
    Hm... this got me thinking:
    Barbell clean and jerks (olympic) have been part of my weightlifting routine for more than a year now (my favorite exercise). I wonder if I should remove them completely from my workouts during my rehabilitation. Same goes for heavy squats, I figure... Just not sure when I should be "cleared" for these exercises.

Another question is the knee brace -- which one should I get to minimize the risk of recurring injury?
    Alot of the rehab I have done incorporates balance balls, carioca, and power strides.

When exactly do you start rehab after a knee sprain (or similar knee injury)? 4 days have past since I aggravated the injury (second twist), and although it's definitely easier than after the first injury, I still can't bend my leg all the way and there's some discomfort and feeling of joint instability. I wonder if I can start jogging lightly within a couple of days, and weightlifting (machines mostly) next week perhaps.

Pretty much the biggest nagging symptom is inability to bend my knee all the way through (like, in order to sit on your knees or do a full squat). Feel incredible tightness and some pain.
    Last edited by Atrokkus; 09-15-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Decent playground baller the_chosen_1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atrokkus
    When exactly do you start rehab after a knee sprain (or similar knee injury)? 4 days have past since I aggravated the injury (second twist), and although it's definitely easier than after the first injury, I still can't bend my leg all the way and there's some discomfort and feeling of joint instability. I wonder if I can start jogging lightly within a couple of days, and weightlifting (machines mostly) next week perhaps.

Pretty much the biggest nagging symptom is inability to bend my knee all the way through (like, in order to sit on your knees or do a full squat). Feel incredible tightness and some pain.
    Nothing wrong with stretches now to ease the tightness. Alot of the work I did was with pain, but safe according to the DR so I think you should know what you are dealing with before working out.

Quote Originally Posted by theydidntnameme
    ye that sounds like jumpers knee. its chronic (happens over time, not something acute like an ankle sprain) and you need to ice it down as much as possible whenever your done with athletic activity). i had it last year. i started doing a lot of springs and whatnot in addition to playing many hours of basketball a day. the increased volume started gave me tendonitis in my left knee. once i figured out it was tendonitis (never had it before) i started icing my knee for 20 minutes every day when i was done practicing and sprinting for the day. after a few weeks my tendonitis was gone. i went all summer training for this school year and although i didnt ice myself anymore, the tendonitis never came back. now that im back at school and more in control of my diet and lifestyle, im back to icing myself after activity is done for the day, just as a precaution...

also id like to note that my tendonitis was in my left knee. im a right handed player, and my left leg is stronger then my right leg as im sure alot of other right handed players are (since you use your left leg more in bball). i figured that it was only logical that since my left leg was used more then my right, that was why i got tendonitis in that knee and not my right. so one thing i did when the tendonitis came was i changed my jumpshot form.. i used to shoot like kobe, tmac, and alot of other players that kick their right leg out and land from their jumpshot with all of their weight on their left leg first. i figured this was a contributing factor to the accelerated wear on my left knee as opposed to my right knee and so i changed my shot to be more like derrick rose's, where he lands with both feet at the same time.. anyways my tendonitis has never come back so i suggest you do these things... land with both feet on your jumpshot and ice yourself consistently.. good luck :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exmGHChrnX0 (look at his jumpshot at the 1 minute mark)
    Well you are quite fortunate because continuing to play on a knee with tendonitis can lead to a chronic problem... as in my case. I am pretty sure I have fairly severe tendon degeneration... probably something like Kobe where you can play...but you have to have it in a brace and you won't practice because you don't want to play any more than you have too. I wish it was all simple and I could just get the best care from doctors... but it doesn't work that way. Soon I'll be able to go back and see what the problem is... but I mean yea I have just been stretching and doing body weight exercises that don't cause pain and also just juggling a soccerball or shooting hoops lightly to warmup be4 stretching and so far it feels like it's helped.

I still feel like an old man tho with shitty knees... always felt ready to go at any time before no warmups necessary. Now, I need to be really warm and stetched out to even feel ready to play ball and of course my knees suck so it's a constant struggle dealing with the pain... so yea i just forget it and I ain't goin back until it's fixed (or like 2 years go by without much progress... then i will say screw it). Mainly it's just putting aside your desires and doing your body a big favor... it will heal for you if you do.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Aussie Outcast's Avatar

patella tendonopathy is a chronic condition and I would advise extreme caution for anyone who has it. You need to let it completely heal. As in 100% not 90 or 99%. It needs to fully heal or it will be an ongoing issue and can most certainly ruin or end your career.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Outcast
    patella tendonopathy is a chronic condition and I would advise extreme caution for anyone who has it. You need to let it completely heal. As in 100% not 90 or 99%. It needs to fully heal or it will be an ongoing issue and can most certainly ruin or end your career.
    Thanks man I will look into that. It's probably what I have. It feels like it's never going to heal on it's own tho... but I just have to be patient.