Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Alienware X51- Any Opinions on this PC Gaming System

Quote Originally Posted by magic chiongson
    get an i5 3570k, gtx 670, 8gb ram & hard drive & your good to go for around $1k. easily half the price of boutique-built PCs
    Not really. The op problem is he's paying full price and not waiting for the X51 go on sale. Give me a month and I can find that identical spec from the Dell outlet for under $600. Upgrade the the graphics on my own and I'm good to go. You no longer save money with custom build like 10 years ago.

I custom my first two rig in 2002 and 2006, since then the price has actually shifted toward prebuild. Got my my Dell 435MT i-7 for $500 in 2009 and the i-7 xps 8500 in 2012 for the same price, upgraded the GPU afterwards.

There's definitely still a market for custom build for people trying to get every possible inch of performance, sli/oc but saving money and budget builds? Those days are long over. Factor in the time it takes to put together and diagnosing when something goes wrong, it's pretty much a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Personally I was only considering it because I think I could get the form factor of a console on my entertainment system. I can't play video games at a computer desk. I need to chill out on a couch with people and play.

Don't think a tower will work for that.
    how about an actual console

Quote Originally Posted by blablabla
    how about an actual console
    have them all. bored with them for the time being. However, I do use them for Netflix, Hulu and Cruncyroll(only reason I use my PS3).

But, If I can find this for 600 bucks I would definitely buy. That would be crazy. PC gaming does seem time intensive the more I read about it though.

what kind of games do you want to play on your pc

Quote Originally Posted by blablabla
    what kind of games do you want to play on your pc
    Skyrim - with mods
    Battlefield 3
    Left 4 Dead
    Mass Effect 2 and 3(never got to these)

I was also wondering if their were good mods for sports games like NBA2k13 and Fifa

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
    Not really. The op problem is he's paying full price and not waiting for the X51 go on sale. Give me a month and I can find that identical spec from the Dell outlet for under $600. Upgrade the the graphics on my own and I'm good to go. You no longer save money with custom build like 10 years ago.
    based on the 240w power supply..the stock settings is pretty much maxed out

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Skyrim - with mods
    Battlefield 3
    Left 4 Dead
    Mass Effect 2 and 3(never got to these)

I was also wondering if their were good mods for sports games like NBA2k13 and Fifa
    you will need more than what the x51's graphics can provide if you want to play bf3 with max settings, and given that it has a very limited power supply, you wont be able to upgrade it. unless you play on a 720p display or less

Quote Originally Posted by magic chiongson
    based on the 240w power supply..the stock settings is pretty much maxed out
    You can get the version with a higher psu. It will have no problem running cards like the 660ti.

Not the greatest deal by any means, but op can pick up the config with the regular 660. $999 today, much better than that bestbuy deal.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...en&s=dhs&cs=19
    Get 10% off if you spend 1099$ or more. So upgrade the HD to 2TB for 50$, check the boxes to get free keyboard and mouse.

BF3 on max settings, he just need to turn down some settings if he wants to play at 60 FPS.
    Last edited by bigkingsfan; 10-23-2012 at 11:43 AM.

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
    You can get the version with a higher psu. It will have no problem running cards like the 660ti.

Not the greatest deal by any means, but op can pick up the config with the regular 660. $999 today, much better than that bestbuy deal.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...en&s=dhs&cs=19
    Get 10% off if you spend 1099$ or more. So upgrade the HD to 2TB for 50$, check the boxes to get free keyboard and mouse.

BF3 on max settings, he just need to turn down some settings if he wants to play at 60 FPS.
    if you can upgrade it to at least 300w then 660/660ti would be fine, you would be limited in graphics options with the maximum length of the card anyways. that $999 deal with the 660 makes more sense, the gt640/555 just won't cut it

i'm gonna have to upgrade my graphics card soon..i'm still on a gtx 470