Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Default Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

LeBron James vs. Stephon Marbury: The $150 Shoe vs. the $15 Shoe

Before the game, James took a little shot at Marbury's $14.98 kicks, saying he couldn't imagine endorsing a sneaker that cheap. "No, I don't think so," James said. "Me being with Nike, we hold our standards high."
    Marbury, who is friendly with James, was lacing up his Starburys before the game when informed of LeBron's comment. He thought about it for a moment and said, "I'd rather own than be owned."
    Nice quote by Marbury. And very, very true. Although he lost a step according to many, I'm becoming a fan more and more. He's having one of his best seasons too.

Source: http://www.newsday.com/sports/basket...,6341008.story and http://nba.aolsportsblog.com/2007/03...s-the-15-shoe/
    Last edited by loot; 03-29-2007 at 04:36 PM.

-primetime-
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

I would rather be owned...

100s of millions of dollars and security for your family forever > what others think

money is money....period

unless you are the boss at your job you are being owned...

Lets GO PENS!

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    LeBron James vs. Stephon Marbury: The $150 Shoe vs. the $15 Shoe

Nice quote by Marbury. And very, very true. Although he lost a step according to many, I'm becoming a fan more and more. He's having one of his best seasons too.
    Good line by Marbury.

Mars Blackmon Lives!

that's funny. twice i went to buy the starbury's (for $15, i've got to try them!) in herald square and both times they were totally sold out of the black, so they are clearly pretty popular, though to be honest i don't think i've seen anyone wearing them. jordan's are still the crazy popular brand in nyc.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Ive seen a lot of people in Marburys shoe. Maybe more than Lebrons recently. Dont make it a point to look though so maybe thats why....

Just notice when someone points it out.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease PMshooter's Avatar

So Marbury actually balls in those shoes huh? I might have to give them a try when my current, uh, phat kicks wear down. Actually for $15 I can give them a try whenever, I guess.

Banned

LeBron said nothing wrong. After all, he is with Nike.. You really think they'd sell shoes for $15? Get real.

LeBron's losing points in my book because I really wanted him to become something special and all time great..but I think I'm slowly starting to see that he's not as good as I thought he was.

It's not because of stats or anything. It's mostly because now I actually have a chance to watch every game he plays instead of just highlights.

Too bad

Pretty shytty comment by Bron.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Lebron if he manages just 5 more years at his current level would be a first ballot hall of famer. 9 years...8 of them on a level equal to or better than the primes of some people in the HOF. He has to do so much to live up to expectations its really not fair. If playing at a HOF level from your second season out of HS on isnt good enough what is?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Lebron if he manages just 5 more years at his current level would be a first ballot hall of famer. 9 years...8 of them on a level equal to or better than the primes of some people in the HOF. He has to do so much to live up to expectations its really not fair. If playing at a HOF level from your second season out of HS on isnt good enough what is?
    Oh, he"ll definitely be a HOF.

The thing is that I bought the hype and thought he'd be like MJ and Magic.
    But then again, I didn't watch many games at the time and I just looked at stats which looked impressive.

Now that I see him play I don't feel like I'm watching such a great player.
    Maybe that's just me but he isn't nearly as skilled offensively as T Mac was in Orlando.

I don't like his mid range game. Doesn't seem so skilled. Even his passing isn't all that. Seems to me that he only scores off of 3 pointers and driving to the basket.

Just doesn't look gracious at all.

But then again, his stats are great, his team is consistantly good...more power to him..

Just saying that I was so much more impressed when I actually didn't watch him play.

LeBron sucks if he said that.

"I couldn't wear something that cheap" and "We hold our standards high"

The media should blast into his ass for those comments. Thats why kids are shhoting each other up to fit in and wear LeBrons (or insert Jordans 15 years ago)
    Last edited by L.Kizzle; 03-29-2007 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    WTF does this have to do with his comments about Marbury's shoes?

Root Of All Evil

I agree with LeBron with what he meant. If I'm playing ball I want something sturdier and more reliable than a pair of $15 cheaply made shoes. However, his comments are way off base and incredibly rude. I think he worded it wrong, but you also have to take into account context. He was asked a question, which may or may not have been to corner LeBron into feeling bad about endorsing a more expensive product, so in turn he was defending the company he represents.

Banned

I didn't expect anything less from some ghetto punk who calls himself "King" and has "chosen 1" inked across his back. I'm a "WITNESS" to the one of the biggest, most arrogant jerks in all of professional sports. He could learn a thing or two from Marbury.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    I agree with LeBron with what he meant. If I'm playing ball I want something sturdier and more reliable than a pair of $15 cheaply made shoes. However, his comments are way off base and incredibly rude. I think he worded it wrong, but you also have to take into account context. He was asked a question, which may or may not have been to corner LeBron into feeling bad about endorsing a more expensive product, so in turn he was defending the company he represents.
    Um Brons and Starburs shoes are probally made in the same damn place with the same material.