Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Sources: Lakers hire Mike D'Antoni

Lakerfreak, what I like the least out of your long awaited post ( ) is that you wasted your time trying to lower the credibility of Phil in order to elevate 'Antoni.....this is unnecessary in trying to make a point. We all know the good and bad that comes with PJ but........how many rings does anyone else in the league have..........Yeah.....that's what I thought.......end of that crap.
    To actually try to compare the idiot Brown's Princeton to Phil's Triangle
    This is a ridiculous as trying to compare me doing a magic trick to Chris Angel Just STOP

Jimmy is a complete idiot.....let's not try to excuse the guy,......he is so determined to establish HIS own identity that he has hurt the team.

As for Mike 'Antoni, it's too easy to call him that.....who else has a "D" in front of his name and never speaks of defense........even the Suns and Knicks players said he would very rarely even mention defense much less practice it.
    So until I see this Lakers team play real defense I'll go with 'Antoni to make my point without having to say anything else (Lazy yes ).

Defensive talent doesn't mean you'll have a good defense, you have to have a system, rotations, protocol and you have to practice it.....you have to go over video and see opponents tendencies.
    To think...oh we have Metta, Kobe and Dwight so our defense will be good is a lack of understanding of how a great team functions.
    There is a reason the man hasn't been to the finals......it's certainly not because of his grade A offense. He lacks the respect for defense the way Jimmy Buss lacks the respect for scouting.

'Antoni is a smart man but stubbornly wants to win a title HIS WAY, he wants to show you can win without defense......this will not work....never.
    IF we bring in McMillan and the coach allows him real practice time for defense we will have a good shot at this.....we are all praying

Here is what Mr. Showtime, Magic Johnson thinks about the hiring and Jimmy;

After tweeting that he would remain silent if he didn't "have anything nice to say," Magic Johnson said what was on his mind anyway.

Johnson doesn't think Mike D'Antoni is the right coach for the Los Angeles Lakers and can't understand how the franchise passed on bringing back Hall of Fame coach Phil Jackson.

And Johnson doesn't believe in Lakers executive vice president Jim Buss.

"I love Dr. (Jerry) Buss. I don't believe in Jim Buss," Johnson said on ESPN's NBA Countdown show Wednesday night. "He's made two critical mistakes already. To me, they made two critical mistakes.
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...e-mike-dantoni

Never a waste of time my laker loving friend. I am simply looking at the glass half full. Why did the Suns get eliminated so much? Simply because any team with have a decent big man was able to pound it inside. The sun's had no post presence other than a amare who had the playing style of a guard anyways. However we have Dwight Howard. This team assembled is much much better than the team that Mike ever had to coach. All of these players in the lineup have a good defensive IQ. I guarantee you they will get stops late in games which is more important.

Anyhow....driving and using my voice texting feature. I love my sIII.

NBA lottery pick

I don't think Magic is the only former Laker that was upset.... I love that he actually brings it up. Magic is dead on too! All we can do now is cross our fingers. If it's going to work, Nate McMillan is really going to need to be a big part of it.

Local High School Star TryToBeUnbias's Avatar

Think they'll resign Glock ? he'd probably do well in this system ... sure wish they kept CDR as well ..

NBA lottery pick

I doubt they're going to resign Goudelock. I think he got way over hyped as a player. The interesting thing that I think about is if they would've fired Brown before the season and shocked everyone by hiring D'Antoni is the Lakers probably would've been able to sign Barbosa instead of him choosing the Celtics. That would've made the bench better. I think Meeks and Jamison will do better in an offense that has better spacing and will get them better looks. The bench doesn't seem like it's in bad shape to me. It just seems like they need a real system to run. Brown held them back a ton.

Local High School Star TryToBeUnbias's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I doubt they're going to resign Goudelock. I think he got way over hyped as a player. The interesting thing that I think about is if they would've fired Brown before the season and shocked everyone by hiring D'Antoni is the Lakers probably would've been able to sign Barbosa instead of him choosing the Celtics. That would've made the bench better. I think Meeks and Jamison will do better in an offense that has better spacing and will get them better looks. The bench doesn't seem like it's in bad shape to me. It just seems like they need a real system to run. Brown held them back a ton.
    He was a bit over hyped I agree. Lakers had pretty much zero offensive production coming from the second unit when he started producing so it's understandable. I do agree with you on the bench not being used properly ( Like jamison playing the 3 for whatever reason ) and yeah Getting Mike'D a bit earlier would have helped them land Barbosa.

I don't think CDR made the maves final roster but I'm not sure if the Lakers are still interested. I'd like to seem him in this system as well.
    Last edited by TryToBeUnbias; 11-15-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DKLaker
    Here is what Mr. Showtime, Magic Johnson thinks about the hiring and Jimmy;

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...e-mike-dantoni
    Again, the only similarity between a HOF basketball player, and someone like me, is their opinions carry the same value. Magic was 0-10 as our interim coach. From his experience, could he tell you in all honesty that he's played/dealt with either Phil or D'antoni?

Its no surprise. Its the safe answer to be honest. Anyone would normally choose Phil over D'antoni. I would have opted for phil if Nash wasn't on the team. To win the trophy though, everyone has to be contributing and on the same page.

Look at what happened the last time we had a veteran star point guard on the team (Gary Payton). He lost interest, and barely played in the finals against detroit. Would you want Nash to lose interest?

Still, Duhon scoffed at the widely held perception D'Antoni's system will entail little defense.

"You have Kobe, you have Metta (World Peace), you have Pau (Gasol) and you have Dwight Howard, obviously, protecting the paint," Duhon said.

"These guys have pride. They're not going to give up 157 points."

http://www.presstelegram.com/rss/ci_22000034

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfreak
    Again, the only similarity between a HOF basketball player, and someone like me, is their opinions carry the same value. Magic was 0-10 as our interim coach. From his experience, could he tell you in all honesty that he's played/dealt with either Phil or D'antoni?

Its no surprise. Its the safe answer to be honest. Anyone would normally choose Phil over D'antoni. I would have opted for phil if Nash wasn't on the team. To win the trophy though, everyone has to be contributing and on the same page.

Look at what happened the last time we had a veteran star point guard on the team (Gary Payton). He lost interest, and barely played in the finals against detroit. Would you want Nash to lose interest?
    Not a bit of this made any sense
    It's not even worth the momentary space on my computer screen.....I just hate how you downgrade Lakers legends......Magic's opinion same weight as yours????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????

As Magic said......if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything......so I'll stop myself right there. mmmm.....yeah not things that I should say.....

I quote Magic Johnson......

You quote Duhon?????

Come on man!!!!!!

I quote Magic Johnson......

You quote Duhon?????

Come on man!!!!!!
    Duhon played for D'antoni....Has Magic ever played for D'antoni?

Not a bit of this made any sense
    It's not even worth the momentary space on my computer screen.....I just hate how you downgrade Lakers legends......Magic's opinion same weight as yours????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????

As Magic said......if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything......so I'll stop myself right there. mmmm.....yeah not things that I should say.....
    Im not downgrading his career as a player. He's a crappy coach. Lets just admit that lol. Michael Jordan was the BEST player ever. Look at him as a team owner. He freaking sucks!

I just don't think "playing credentials" should be used to so easily sway the opinions of fans. Was Kobe right about how they should trade Bynum for Kidd? Was Phil right about trading Bynum for Artest?

These "top notch legends" are so high up there they don't even notice what goes on under their nose.

How did none of my post make any sense? I TRIED TO LEARN ENGLISH I REALLY DID!!!

Im not downgrading his career as a player. He's a crappy coach. Lets just admit that lol. Michael Jordan was the BEST player ever. Look at him as a team owner. He freaking sucks!

I just don't think "playing credentials" should be used to so easily sway the opinions of fans. Was Kobe right about how they should trade Bynum for Kidd? Was Phil right about trading Bynum for Artest?

These "top notch legends" are so high up there they don't even notice what goes on under their nose.

How did none of my post make any sense? I TRIED TO LEARN ENGLISH I REALLY DID!!!
    Listen, I know you really don't know much about Magic Johnson......or coaching for that matter. For you to state that Magic knows as much as you about coaching.....is........a Mike Brown level comment.
    And worse to try to bring Kobe and Phil's proposed deals into it is just lame to say the least.......show me me anyone in a decision making position who has never made a mistake.......your comparison posts show a definite lack of knowledge of the game, no nicer way to put it.....and I am REALLY TRYING.

Now if you want to enlighten me with your knowledge then please tell me about the season that Magic took over as head coach.....you were what...3 years old or so? Yet in the time between now and then you now, through your experience, know as much about coaching as Magic???
    I as there at the games, talking to the players afterwards.

Just stop it.....you were the main Mike Brown homer on here.
    Magic said that Mike Brown was a bad hire and would have fired him at the end of last season. You would learn a lot more about the game if you would listen to those who know the game better........and this doesn't mean quoting bench warmer Duhon

Still laughing about Steve Blake the defensive wizard
    Last edited by DKLaker; 11-16-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Listen, I know you really don't know much about Magic Johnson......or coaching for that matter. For you to state that Magic knows as much as you about coaching.....is........a Mike Brown level comment.
    And worse to try to bring Kobe and Phil's proposed deals into it is just lame to say the least.......show me me anyone in a decision making position who has never made a mistake.......your comparison posts show a definite lack of knowledge of the game, no nicer way to put it.....and I am REALLY TRYING.

Now if you want to enlighten me with your knowledge then please tell me about the season that Magic took over as head coach.....you were what...3 years old or so? Yet in the time between now and then you now, through your experience, know as much about coaching as Magic???
    I as there at the games, talking to the players afterwards.

Just stop it.....you were the main Mike Brown homer on here.
    Magic said that Mike Brown was a bad hire and would have fired him at the end of last season. You would learn a lot more about the game if you would listen to those who know the game better........and this doesn't mean quoting bench warmer Duhon

Still laughing about Steve Blake the defensive wizard
    I find it amusing that people on here think because I liked Mike Brown, that it spontaneously just lowers my credibility every time I speak. I think its completely stupid.

All I know is Magic went 0-10 as an interim coach. What should I do DK? Give him a hug, a kiss, and a chocolate chip cookie with 100$ in an envelope for christmas? 0-10 is crappy. I don't care what kind of team you have. 0-10 back then is just as bad as that is right now.

And as I mentioned in the other thread Duhon played for D'antoni, Magic never played for D'antoni. Duhon therefore wins that one as being more credible of a speaker.

Your approach at attacking my posts are intended to show everyone how "stupid" I am when it comes to the game. This approach fails with people who actually read what I have to say and use reasoning to pinpoint why I may have said something. Bottom line, if you think starting a war against good ol' lakerfreak by getting everyone else to say "I AGREE BUDDY" or "WOW DK SAYS HES DUMB....DK MUST BE SMART", then just to inform you from now, I will continue to post my opinions, respond to every post, moderate without a bias. I love this game and am not going anywhere else to post.