Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Local High School Star Vienceslav's Avatar

Default Re: Charles Barkley says the NBA lies about player heights, so does DraftExpress:

Ok so this was not the case in the good old days, but it is now , anyway i feel the more relevant measurement is wing span , standing reach and shoulder height , someone with long ass neck will have 1 more in and what is that going to prove?Most people in real life are deluded about their own height anyway.

Default Re: Charles Barkley says the NBA lies about player heights, so does DraftExpress:

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I think one of the primary issues about height is the standard with which we measure all heights. It seems through time, whether this is right or wrong, it has been a player's "height in shoes" that has prevailed in media guides and high school basketball programs. I don't find that to be much of an issue as long as its consistent with how other players are being measured as well. For the most part, that seems to be the case. For instance, in shoes, perhaps Charles Barkley is 6'6'' and in shoes, Dennis Rodman is 6'7'' (as they're both listed). This would mean barefoot, Barkley would likely be closer to 6'5'' and Rodman 6'6''. It's still telling me there's only a one inch difference between those two players, regardless of their overall total. That's really all I need to know.

The real issue for me would come in if it became clear half of the players were going by barefoot heights and the other half were going by "shoes" height. In that case, if Barkley was going by his barefoot height (6'5'') and Rodman went with his shoes height (6'7''), things become a lot more misleading. However, over the years, it seems a large majority (if not very large majority) of NBA, college, and high school players go by the "shoes" height, so there's still likely general uniformity in that regard.

What that means is that it's likely always possible to see a guy like Al-Farouq Aminu (listed at 6'9'') and say, "Man, wow, he's great. He's not even a legit 6'9''. He's more like 6'7''." And there'd be some truth to that, as his barefoot measurement is 6'7''.25 (while his shoes height is 6'8''.50) but we could just as well likely say that about every single player in the NBA.

So sure, Chuck Barkley might not be a legit 6'6'', but Ben Wallace isn't a legit 6'9'', and David Robinson may not have been a legit barefoot 7'1'', or Chauncey Billups a legit barefoot 6'3''. Due to the shoe height, I'd figure most everyone has an inch or so added to their heights. For me personally, I don't find this a revelation or an area of concern. Barefoot, I'm a smidge below 6'3''. With shoes, I'm a legit 6'4''.
    This has never been consistent by any definition of the word. Players don't list their height by shoes, they just lie about their height and when questioned they can simply fall back on "it's my height in shoes" as an excuse. Read the articles, they say that directly. Shoe heights are by no means a consistently used or accurate means of player measurement. No 2 shoes a player swaps throughout his career are every going to be precisely the same thickness to begin with. Your height is your height. And your "shoe height" isn't even going to determine your NBA, or NCAA, or even High School. List height is literally just whatever height you and/or your agent want to you to be listed at to attract the attention of fans or scouts.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-20-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vienceslav
    Durant is 7ft tall!
    Show me a source where it says Durant is 7ft? Y! says 6-9 DraftExpress says 6-9, FIBA says 6-9, NBA.com says 6-9. So going by a scale of 1 to Bladers, how full of shit are you?

Scouts can tell how tall you are. Plus some players play taller than they are (chuck), and some play shorter

Some of the High Schoolers and teenager players grew a couple of centimeters after being measured in the NBA Pre Draft Camp.

Kevin Garnett 6'11" to 6'11 3/4"

LeBron James 6'7.25" to 6'8"

Kevin Durant 6'9" to 6'10"/6'10.25"

Andrew Bynum 7'0.25" to 7'1"

Chris Bosh 6'10.25" to 6'11"
    Last edited by Lebron23; 04-20-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Some of the NBA teenage players grew a couple of centimeters or few inches after being measured in the NBA Pre Draft Camp.

Kevin Durant 6'9" to 6'10"/6'10.5"

A couple of centimeters and a few inches are very different.

Local High School Star Vienceslav's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Show me a source where it says Durant is 7ft? Y! says 6-9 DraftExpress says 6-9, FIBA says 6-9, NBA.com says 6-9. So going by a scale of 1 to Bladers, how full of shit are you?
    I don

[QUOTE=Vienceslav]I don

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Some of the High schoolers and teenager players grew a couple of centimeters or few inches after being measured in the NBA Pre Draft Camp.

Kevin Durant 6'9" to 6'10"/6'10.25"

Chris Bosh 6'10.25" to 6'11"
    There's no doubt many players can grow after 18/19 years of age, however cite this kind of stuff or it lacks credibility. Key words you need to look for are "measured" and "bare feet" and the Red Flags are public statements from the NBA or NBA team.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-20-2012 at 11:50 AM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    This has never been consistent by any definition of the word. Players don't list their height by shoes, they just lie about their height and when questioned they can simply fall back on "it's my height in shoes" as an excuse. Read the articles, they say that directly. Shoe heights are by no means a consistently used or accurate means of player measurement. No 2 shoes a player swaps throughout his career are every going to be precisely the same thickness to begin with. Your height is your height. And your "shoe height" isn't even going to determine your NBA, or NCAA, or even High School. List height is literally just whatever height you and/or your agent want to you to be listed at to attract the attention of fans or scouts.
    I may have to ask, with sincerity, what is the driving issue here? I'm honestly not asking to be a punk, I'm just legitimately wondering what it is about this clearly imperfect measurement process that draws an issue with you? Is it that teams often must draft players they think are one size but are not really? Or is it just the principle of the matter and general lack of uniformity?

If the issue is teams not being able to draw legitimate conclusions about players these days (though they are now listed twice - with shoes and without shoes), I'd have to agree with other posters who suggest wingspan and standing reach may be equally as important, if not more so. As such, teams must not only rely on height statistics.

Otherwise, as mentioned prior, I'm not sure it's a revelation to anyone that the NBA has historically provided official heights without using an uniform measuring stick, so to speak. Throughout culture, height always seems to be subject to variables. College and high school listings can be just as inconsistent. Most folks can see a listed height of 6'7'' and assume it's generally going to be in that range. In the long run, it's not too big of an issue. Charles Barkley was nasty. It doesn't make any difference to me whether he did it at 6'6'' or 6'4''.75. Awesome is awesome.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 04-20-2012 at 11:51 AM.

5-time NBA All-Star

Shaq's measures, Wow. He had nearly every advantage possible. And he had a pretty good touch - no range and good passing ability. I make a big deal about the 31 point threshold and how insistent it is - wild that even Shaq is subject to it when he was close to breaking the threshold. Interesting is Amare Stoudamire whose advantage seems only to be quickness and athleticism - I imagine he must have a long reach, can get to the 26 ppg (I should add coordination being that Kenyon Martin lacks that quality and has a similar build).

Do you all see DH as having the same superior qualities over the other centers as Shaq had - so-be-it to a lesser degree? Considering we realize that DH is measuring among the tallest in reach.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    There's no doubt many players can grow after 18/19 years of age, however cite this kind of stuff or it lacks credibility. Key words you need to look for are "measured" and "bare feet" and the Red Flags are public statements from the NBA or NBA team.

LeBron looks 4.25" taller than Wade.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/ne...902&asid=94532

Very good NBA starter

I think lebron is a legit 6'8 and small change. Ive seen him next to Carmelo and melo is a legit 6'7.

Everyone knows Wade is like 6'3 and change. he's shorter than Kobe who's like 6'5 and change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I may have to ask, with sincerity, what is the driving issue here? I'm honestly not asking to be a punk, I'm just legitimately wondering what it is about this clearly imperfect measurement process that draws an issue with you? Is it that teams often must draft players they think are one size but are not really? Or is it just the principle of the matter and general lack of uniformity?

If the issue is teams not being able to draw legitimate conclusions about players these days (though they are now listed twice - with shoes and without shoes), I'd have to agree with other posters who suggest wingspan and standing reach may be equally as important, if not more so. As such, teams must not only rely on height statistics.

Otherwise, as mentioned prior, I'm not sure it's a revelation to anyone that the NBA has historically provided official heights without using an uniform measuring stick, so to speak. Most folks can see a listed height of 6'7'' and assume it's generally going to be in that range. In the long run, it's not too big of an issue. Charles Barkley was nasty. It doesn't make any difference to me whether he did it at 6'6'' or 6'4''.75. Awesome is awesome.
    Creating awareness. Many oblivious fans insist the league is now stacked with giants who underrate their height when the opposite is true, there is constant chatter between some fans discussion these over inflated numbers and they don't realize actual measurements have been taken for many of these players. Speculative pictures, etc - they're silly when real world measurements are available from draftexpress and international competitions etc. Also, using modern inflated heights as a means to diminish prior era's players who's listed heights actually weren't inflated by the player. And also, even the fans that know the NBA's player heights are inflated are usually unaware that it isn't consistent, which is why these arguments over who is taller than who even arrises.

For example:

Kevin Durant: 6'9, 7'4.5 wingspan
    6'9 list height

Dwight Howard: 6'9, 7'4.5 wingspan
    6'11 list height

Kevin Love: 6'7.75
    6'10 list height

Coincidence that people are convinced Durant is a "7 footer"? He isn't. It just looks that way next to the league's "bigs" that he is clearly equal too in height like Dwight, and even taller than guys like Kevin Love - despite those guys both being listed taller than he is.

And this thread has now been completely derailed by people who've gone into speculation mode again, speculating with the typical grossly inflated crop of numbers seen in every other thread rather than considering that most of these players in question might actually be shorter than expected

www.draftexpress.com/measurements

^---- here i'll save you some time, they've already been measured
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-20-2012 at 12:09 PM.