Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default Why aren't I getting better?

I play a fair bit but have only played for 3 years. I'm 5'7 25 years old.
    I feel as though I'm not getting any better, I've tried going gym, but it just threw my shot off.
    My biggest issue is probably my confidence. I often just go blank while playing, and don't know what to do.
    I honesty starting to think that I'm just not ment to play basketball -.-

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Default Re: Why aren't I getting better?

If you don't think you can, then you can't.

Decent college freshman

Simple, you aren't practicing hard enough

Post a vid of yourself playing.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Post a vid of yourself playing.
    this.

basketball is a difficult sport to pick up in the early 20s. the muscle memory needed for basketball must be developed in such a way that it is easier to do so at a young age.

but it is not impossible.

without seeing your skill level i must say the easiest way to get better is to know WHY you make mistakes, not simply counting your mistakes. This is very demoralizing for a new player and could possibly contribute to your lack of self-confidence.

if you dont know why you make your mistakes, then become a student of the game, start to dissect players' games, tendencies etc in the NBA. By doing so, when you get out on the court, youll be able to pick up on opposing players' tendencies a lot more.

post a vid and im sure youll get a number of detailed responses.

Learning to shoot layups

when i started playing i was already a little older like you early 20s(which I think its old for bball). first thing first will be conditioning and dribble. I think dribble for a beginner is extremely important. Once you can dribble with both arms and penetrate from both sides you can start adding moves. Look at the nba players and try their moves. Even better, try to look at the fundamentals of eurobasket and drill yourself to death on the basics.

I'm a tech noob. So how would I go about posting a vid? I have a Sony handy cam thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    I'm a tech noob. So how would I go about posting a vid? I have a Sony handy cam thing.
    Is there a USB port? Just connect it via USB, and upload to youtube.

Ill try and set up my cam during my Saturday pick up games. So hopefully get some good footage

Biggest thing is learning your strengths and weaknesses.

AI was the player that got me to fall in love with bball so naturally I tried to emulate his style of play growing up but that just didn't suit my skills and I didn't learn that until around 17. Trying to emulate D-Wade with explosive crossovers when I was younger worked because I developed as an athlete more quickly than other but once everyone matured I had to adjust.

Honestly, the best thing I can tell you is learn to use your dribbles efficiently. More than 3 dribbles in the half court is a waste of movement unless you are playing point. The triple threat is the best weapon I ever learned. Pumps, jabs, step-throughs, etc.

I never learned to play out of the triple threat until I realized I was better off using my dribble as a striaght line move instead of lateral movements. The best advice I can give is learn to streamline your game and learn your strengths and weaknesses.

Also, get inside and try to get some boards. Boxing out, getting and offense board, and putting in an easy lay-up is an nice way to get some confidence and flow within the game.

Do drills man, over and over again. I got better mostly through training, I use pick up games to analyze my weaknesses.

It's a constant learning curve for me, I write things on my iphone on things I need to improve.. then I research on how to improve them (as you can see from my posts here in streetball forum haha). Youtube is a great tool, I usually analyze what players do on certain situations i.e. (why did he drive right?, why did he step back etc.)

Best thing that helped me is doing fundamental drills such as being able to go left or right, 1 dribble pull up, left/right hand up layups. Thing is you gotta do this a lot, it needs to stick to your instinctive "game" so that you arent even thinking and you just do it in-game.

The larger question is why, at 25 years of age and 5'7", are you that concerned with focusing time and efforts on basketball?

Not trying to be a bad guy, but realistically it will never be more than a hobby, you'll never be more than just OK, and in 5 years or so your body won't allow you to do even the things you can do now.

Serious playground baller

I started playing competitively about 3 years ago and I'm 34 now. I don't have a hoop at my house so I did ball handling drills in my basement so I could at least be competitive with that. I am probably one of the best ball handlers in the group of guys that I play with. Due to my lack of experience I still go through spurts where I turn the ball over but I still get plenty of games. Just do what you can and make sure you get the ball in your hands as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    The larger question is why, at 25 years of age and 5'7", are you that concerned with focusing time and efforts on basketball?

Not trying to be a bad guy, but realistically it will never be more than a hobby, you'll never be more than just OK, and in 5 years or so your body won't allow you to do even the things you can do now.
    Because he wants to? If it makes him happy, what do you care?

Quote Originally Posted by JMT

why do you care?

i have many relatives that played well into their 40s, dunking and everything. Just because you couldnt, doesnt mean he cant.