Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Real Men watch CBM

Default Re: Will Dark Knight Rises break Avengers recently set box office record?

What fans realize is that Chris Nolan's first Batman film, "Batman Begins" did just okay.

In fact, "Batman Begins" came behind (yes, behind) both "Fantastic Four" and "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer". Crazy.

At that time most projectionist foresaw "The Dark Knight" as making around or even less than "Spider-Man 2" type of money based on "Batman Begins" performance.

But before TDK came out, most of the generated buzz coming in was the death of Heath Ledger months before the release. Basically TDK was his last film which caught audiences all over to check it out, statistics even had over 50% of the audience being female, I think still the highest in a comicbook movie. The fact that TDK was a good film too gave it real good legs for people to check it out.

Good High School Starter Saintsfan1992's Avatar

Default Re: Will Dark Knight Rises break Avengers recently set box office record?

Batman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the gay ass avenger league.

Real Men watch CBM

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsfan1992
    Batman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the gay ass avenger league.

But, according to DC... it's the other way around.

Batman is actually the Gay one!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...e=Alicia_Keys_

Is Batman, one of the world's most iconic superheroes really a gay man?

Batman writer Grant Morrison, who is best known for revamping DC Comics' family of Batman titles, spoke at length about comic superheroes in an interview with Playboy magazine, confirming maybe those Batman and Robin rumors aren't so far-fetched after all, because the title character is "very gay" says Morrison.

"There’s an aspirational quality to him—he’s an outlaw and he can buy anything. He’s a rich man who beats up poor people. It’s quite a bizarre mission to go out at night dressed as a bat and punch the hell out of junkies. And then he goes home and lives in this mansion. He has a new Batmobile every movie. He’s very plutonian in the sense that he’s wealthy and also in the sense that he’s sexually deviant."

"Gayness is built into Batman. I’m not using gay in the pejorative sense, but Batman is very, very gay. There’s just no denying it. Obviously as a fictional character he’s intended to be heterosexual, but the basis of the whole concept is utterly gay. I think that’s why people like it. All these women fancy him and they all wear fetish clothes and jump around rooftops to get to him. He doesn’t care—he’s more interested in hanging out with the old guy and the kid.”

Morrison added that this was part of the appeal: "I think that's why people like it."

Batman’s next big screen outing The Dark Knight Rises is released this summer.
    Sorry but your post was just asking for it though.

====================

Ok back on topic...

Before Avengers came out, I actually thought TDKR had a shot in surpassing The Avengers because I didn't think the Avengers would even surpass "Harry Potter: Deathly Hollows 2".

Now I don't know.

But TDKR still has a lot of things going for them:

- It's the end of a Trilogy (they tend to always outdo their prequels)

- People know this is Nolan's final Batman film

- TDK had the record for most female attendance for a cbm (thanks to Heath Ledger), will they still be interested to see Rises?

- WB have theaters under contracts and always tend to open in more theaters than any other studios (TDK opened to 20 more theaters 4 years ago than The Avengers even did today; going by today's inflation at ~ $18,000 per theater, that's an extra $1.05 million more for a WB film for the weekend).

- July is a more favorable release date (school's out for the summer meaning higher morning totals, no Mother's Day, no NBA Playoffs)

- Lesser competition in cinemas to deal with (no Battleship, no Prometheus, no Men In Black 3, no Amazing Spider-Man, etc.)
    Last edited by Jordan-esque; 05-09-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Banned

I think the Avengers will hold this record for years to come. At least until Avengers 2 comes out.

Good High School Starter Saintsfan1992's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan-esque
    But, according to DC... it's the other way around.

Batman is actually the Gay one!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...e=Alicia_Keys_

Sorry but your post was just asking for it though.
    **** DC

Batman always have bad woman.

If anything Superman
    is a homo

Batman >>> entire Avengers cast

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

I doubt it. From my perspective the Avengers was the most hyped movie coming into this year.

Re-watchability is another issue. For me I've seen TDK about 5 times. I will likely have seen the Avengers 3 times before it even exits theaters. It's just different.

Finally I just have a feeling that this movie is going to be a dissapointment. Not that it'll be bad, but that it won't match TDK and it'll settle into a "well that was pretty good" zone.

I've said this before, Batman is largely a product of his rouges gallery. I'm not sure Bane is going to be able to carry this one. Ledger made TDK, it would take one hell of a performance to carry that into DKR.

From what i've seen of Bane i'm not hopeful of this one. Hope i am wrong.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    I doubt it. From my perspective the Avengers was the most hyped movie coming into this year.

Re-watchability is another issue. For me I've seen TDK about 5 times. I will likely have seen the Avengers 3 times before it even exits theaters. It's just different.

Finally I just have a feeling that this movie is going to be a dissapointment. Not that it'll be bad, but that it won't match TDK and it'll settle into a "well that was pretty good" zone.

I've said this before, Batman is largely a product of his rouges gallery. I'm not sure Bane is going to be able to carry this one. Ledger made TDK, it would take one hell of a performance to carry that into DKR.
    Bane is one of, if not the, most formidable foe in Batman's rogues gallery. I mean he broke the legends back, even though he caught him slippin. Don't let Schumacher's campy Bane or other cartoon incarnations of the character taint your judgment, Bane is just as mentally imposing as he is physically. Plus, think back to when Ledger was first announced as the Joker- everyone was crying and whining about how they f*cked up by casting the gay cowboy from brokeback as Batman's archnemesis.

Nolan has yet to disappoint and Gary Oldman is on record that he thinks Rises will eclipse TDK because the story is that epic.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Bane is one of, if not the, most formidable foe in Batman's rogues gallery. I mean he broke the legends back, even though he caught him slippin. Don't let Schumacher's campy Bane or other cartoon incarnations of the character taint your judgment, Bane is just as mentally imposing as he is physically. Plus, think back to when Ledger was first announced as the Joker- everyone was crying and whining about how they f*cked up by casting the gay cowboy from brokeback as Batman's archnemesis.

Nolan has yet to disappoint and Gary Oldman is on record that he thinks Rises will eclipse TDK because the story is that epic.
    If we're just talking what gets people to the box office, I don't think Bane is going to do it. I've had to explain to loads of people about who Bane is. Maybe its just where I live, but I don't believe the general public has a good idea of how formidable a foe he really is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP

You saw the TDK 5 times in theaters? I watched it one time on blu ray and that was enough for me

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
    If we're just talking what gets people to the box office, I don't think Bane is going to do it. I've had to explain to loads of people about who Bane is. Maybe its just where I live, but I don't believe the general public has a good idea of how formidable a foe he really is.
    I could care less what this does at the box office, has no bearing on quality. All I know is if Nolan's Bane is anything like the comic book version ('Revenge of Bane' and 'Knightfall') than he's going to be a legendary movie foe, and we still don't know what role Ras Al Ghul will play (I know they will at least have a younger version of him, although I've seen some reports that Liam Neeson has a cameo). The general public is ignorant about a lot of things, shouldn't be surprising that they would be about a comic book character. But once the reviews come out, we'll see what critics think of Bane and the movie as a whole.

I remember that people had the same questions about Ledger paying the Joker until Kevin Smith came out with a review calling TDK 'the Godfather 2 of comic book movies' then they hype machine took over from there.

I could care less what this does at the box office, has no bearing on quality. All I know is if Nolan's Bane is anything like the comic book version ('Revenge of Bane' and 'Knightfall') than he's going to be a legendary movie foe, and we still don't know what role Ras Al Ghul will play (I know they will at least have a younger version of him, although I've seen some reports that Liam Neeson has a cameo). The general public is ignorant about a lot of things, shouldn't be surprising that they would be about a comic book character. But once the reviews come out, we'll see what critics think of Bane and the movie as a whole.

I remember that people had the same questions about Ledger paying the Joker until Kevin Smith came out with a review calling TDK 'the Godfather 2 of comic book movies' then they hype machine took over from there.
    That's the point of this thread though

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
    That's the point of this thread though
    No one here will see a dime of any box office revenue whether it does $20 or $200 million in its first weekend. Don't see why that should matter to anyone here. What affects us is our viewing experience.

No one here will see a dime of any box office revenue whether it does $20 or $200 million in its first weekend. Don't see why that should matter to anyone here. What affects us is our viewing experience.
    I agree. I think people just want to be in a competition over which movie they think is better. People in the Avengers thread are saying its the best superhero movie ever, TDK fans are saying the opposite so this is where they're going to decide for good I guess.