Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winners & Lamers in the draft

surprised this wasn't made yet....so here's some quick thoughts:

winners:

wiz - they picked two guys who will not only help right away but also fit in the system. veseley runs the court, doesn't mind contact and finishes strong. he has size and is pretty athletic. this is a guy that wall can lob too all day along with mcgee. wiz now have one of the most athletic frontcourts. then they took singleton who is a much needed perimeter defender. i question his offense but i see him as the best perimeter defender in the draft. quick feet, active hands. can't create too much offensively but that's not a major weakness of the washington

jazz - took enes who is a ready made big man who isn't rigid. then they took burks. he is athletic which they sorely miss after matthews. if he finds a jumper, this guy is going to score buckets. pretty good value there. he's a savvy scorer, sort of reminds me of a young pierce.

sleeper: clippers - added even more athleticism and team players and they have a solid base

lamers:

76ers - just don't see the direction here. it's like they can't decide whether to play big or small and there's a ton of tweeners there.

wolves - i hate to harp on it but they picked all these guys and just traded them. how many trades total? $hit got confusing. you can't just collect assets and hope for the best. you have to pull the trigger on something. consolation prize for d-will but that team could have used a shooter and post player in a big way.

bobcats - think biyombo was that much of a reach. walker had some knee issues but i dig his game. if walker pans out, this won't be so bad. i think a lot of people are looking at potential here and listen, i like kemba but they traded up for biyombo. i guess it's cool that walker fell to them. i heard they were targeting thompson as well. you gotta hope walker turns out well because now they have too small guards in augustin and walker.

long termers:

chicago - butler is a great utilitly player. already a good defender and should buy into the system. mirotic can be a dead eye shooter but will it be worth the four year wait? i suppose

houston - building for the long-term it seems. some impact players but mostly potential. again though, too many tweeners here? i love morris though, he can truly play inside/out.

EDIT: i'm amending this as i go since my brain misfires so much...klay thompson = big potential. i already like his ball handling and shooting but i'm not sure if he's in the right situation. either way, at the least, GS has a couple solid assets.
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 06-24-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Re: Winners & Lamers in the draft

Bobcasts? Did Bob Johnson break a leg?

Markieff Morris. typical of me to name the dude drafted to my fav team he seems cool but, a little too cool if you've seen his interview with cbssport prolly just nervous though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l8Ko76VfXM

I have a feeling "Big Pimp'n" Vesely is going to become a cult icon.

I think the Sixers drafted well all things considering. We need bigs, but there just aint that many out there. Im happy with it.

I think Biyombo could be a great player, don't count him out yet.

Andre Miller is the perfect veteran PG to back up Lawson

Kenneth Faried could be the rebounder we have been looking for (for years). He's a beast!

Jordan Hamilton is the perfect guy to take over for either JR or Chandler depending on who we keep.

Perfect draft night for me

Quote Originally Posted by Bogus_Sting
    I have a feeling "Big Pimp'n" Vesely is going to become a cult icon.

I think the Sixers drafted well all things considering. We need bigs, but there just aint that many out there. Im happy with it.

I think Biyombo could be a great player, don't count him out yet.
    oh i'm not counting biyombo out. i just think his offensive game is close to zilch. to take him that high, they better hope he becomes a great defender. ben wallace comparison is pretty apt and he never really developed an offensive game in his whole career. potential danger there. i just think you don't draft on potential that far up. anyway, all these thoughts are preliminary. i totally wouldn't mind if biyombo proves me wrong - in fact, as a sports fan, i kind of find it exciting and interesting.

another sleeper: kyle singler. way more athletic than portrayed, tall and can make nifty passes. he needs to develop a better shot. his shot form is cringe worthy but if he gets a mid-range shot to go with the rest of his game, he'll be a good value pick.
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 06-24-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    surprised this wasn't made yet....so here's some quick thoughts:

winners:

wiz - they picked two guys who will not only help right away but also fit in the system. veseley runs the court, doesn't mind contact and finishes strong. he has size and is pretty athletic. this is a guy that wall can lob too all day along with mcgee. wiz now have one of the most athletic frontcourts. then they took singleton who is a much needed perimeter defender. i question his offense but i see him as the best perimeter defender in the draft. quick feet, active hands. can't create too much offensively but that's not a major weakness of the washington

jazz - took enes who is a ready made big man who isn't rigid. then they took burks. he is athletic which they sorely miss after matthews. if he finds a jumper, this guy is going to score buckets. pretty good value there. he's a savvy scorer, sort of reminds me of a young pierce.

sleeper: clippers - added even more athleticism and team players and they have a solid base

lamers:

76ers - just don't see the direction here. it's like they can't decide whether to play big or small and there's a ton of tweeners there.

wolves - i hate to harp on it but they picked all these guys and just traded them. how many trades total? $hit got confusing. you can't just collect assets and hope for the best. you have to pull the trigger on something. consolation prize for d-will but that team could have used a shooter and post player in a big way.

bobcats - think biyombo was that much of a reach. walker had some knee issues but i dig his game. if walker pans out, this won't be so bad.

long termers:

chicago - butler is a great utilitly player. already a good defender and should buy into the system. mirotic can be a dead eye shooter but will it be worth the four year wait? i suppose

houston - building for the long-term it seems. some impact players but mostly potential. again though, too many tweeners here?
    i agree with the winners

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    Andre Miller is the perfect veteran PG to back up Lawson

Kenneth Faried could be the rebounder we have been looking for (for years). He's a beast!

Jordan Hamilton is the perfect guy to take over for either JR or Chandler depending on who we keep.

Perfect draft night for me
    word. i almost forgot about the nuggets night considering the trades. one thing is for sure, the west is gonna be a slugfest from 3-8. i expect clips to rise, memphis to be way high in the mix and denver to make some noise. faried is gonna be a mean rebounder. i'm thinking a young kenyon martin.

anyway, everyone else jump in here. i'm a laker fan and i didn't put them in either category. i'd give them a B- overall. don't just judge your team though. who do you think made out like bandits and who do you question? if not teams, do players but i prefer teams.
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 06-24-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    word. i almost forgot about the nuggets night considering the trades. one thing is for sure, the west is gonna be a slugfest from 3-8. i expect clips to rise, memphis to be way high in the mix and denver to make some noise.

anyway, everyone else jump in here. i'm a laker fan and i didn't put them in either category. i'd give them a B- overall. don't just judge your team though. who do you think made out like bandits and who do you question? if not teams, do players but i prefer teams.
    Call me crazy, but I honestly think the Lakers should go after Baron Davis (I know he is pricey though).

My Pimp Hand Is Lethal Wonder Bread Kid's Avatar

Spurs are definitely winners.

As another poster on here post it:

Spurs Lost:
    George Hill

Spurs Gained:
    Kawhi Leonard (15th Pick)
    Cory Joseph (29th Pick)
    Davis Bertans (42nd Pick)
    Adam Hanga (59th Pick)
    Erazem Lorbek (International)

Call me crazy, but I honestly think the Lakers should go after Baron Davis (I know he is pricey though).
    nahh, 27 million with 2 years left? i was a fan of b-diddy but his time has passed. LA needs to get younger and more athletic. i don't think baron would put us over the top.

wonder - again, forgot about those spurs after all that late night call about the extra picks. given their great international scouting, wouldn't be surprised if one of those became an all-star. i knew i'd miss some.

NBA Superstar

u should go after TP. he'd be ridiculous with the Lakers. they need someone other than kobe to be able to penetrate and score/dish. not to mention he has a good J.

Baron's so injury prone and such a part time player these days as a result he's not worth the headache.

What was so bad about the Wolves draft? Before the draft even happened they were targeting Malcolm lee with their second pick and even considered taking him @ 20, but by trading down we got him at 43. We even got a future first out of all this trading down we did. The only thing I am mildly peeved about is passing on Brooks twice, but that's not that big of a deal.

Local High School Star SpanishACB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Bread Kid
    Spurs are definitely winners.

As another poster on here post it:
    Lorbek? What? He just signed an extension with Barcelona two days ago.

My Pimp Hand Is Lethal Wonder Bread Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishACB
    Lorbek? What? He just signed an extension with Barcelona two days ago.
    A one year extension I believe. But the Pacers traded his rights to us.