Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: South Park season 17, 09/25/13

I don't know why you guys are hating on the "hipster a$holes" (They're hicks from Col. so i'll call them cynical a$sholes). It was a necessary transition once Chef left.
    The change of dynamics was the only way forward from a story-telling perspective, and it helped keep the show fresh. Again, i'll point to Assburgers as an episode that shows the cynicism of the character (and by extension the creators), providing for hilarious and intriguing tv.

NBA lottery pick

They need to find a way to make fun of Hernandez and the Rutgers coach at the same time

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

so far, its been more of the same as the last few seasons. the newest one, the minecraft episode, was a bit closer to their older, classic episodes. but the first two fell right into that "pretentious" category theyve been flirting around with the last handful of years.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    so far, its been more of the same as the last few seasons. the newest one, the minecraft episode, was a bit closer to their older, classic episodes. but the first two fell right into that "pretentious" category theyve been flirting around with the last handful of years.
    There has only been 2 new episodes.

Tomorrow's episode tackles George Zimmerman and the movie World War Z. In it Cartman (Zimmerman) will be trying to kill Token (of course) because he sees him as a threat to all mankind

People aren't gonna be happy about this one

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Tomorrow's episode tackles George Zimmerman and the movie World War Z. In it Cartman (Zimmerman) will be trying to kill Token (of course) because he sees him as a threat to all mankind

People aren't gonna be happy about this one
    @ the reaction this will cause most people to have.

These guys are crazy smart but the show feels so lazy. The formula now is pick a topic recently in the news, and build a show around it.

We need more episodes like Scott Tenorman must die, Trapper Keeper 4000 (or whatever that episode was called) Fun Time with weapons, Butters very own episode, CartmanLand and so many others are classic episodes that have little to nothing to with any current events or political bullshit.

The episode ( I think the under pants gnome) Cartman gets the idea of having illegals do their homework. So the boys pay them money to write their essays.. And when the boys come back to get their papers the illegals (in this case Mexicans) had all written home to their friends.

It was just a little gag but its that kind of humor southpark is missin these days.

With that said, I still enjoy the new episodes, and there have been a few gems recently ( Cartman killing off his stuffed animals was a great episode) but the new ones lack the creativity of the old
    Last edited by TheMarkMadsen; 10-08-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    @ the reaction this will cause most people to have.

These guys are crazy smart but the show feels so lazy. The formula now is pick a topic recently in the news, and build a show around it.

We need more episodes like Scott Tenorman must die, Trapper Keeper 4000 (or whatever that episode was called) Fun Time with weapons, Butters very own episode, CartmanLand and so many others are classic episodes that have little to nothing to with any current events or political bullshit.

The episode ( I think the under pants gnome) Cartman gets the idea of having illegals do their homework. So the boys pay them money to write their essays.. And when the boys come back to get their papers the illegals (in this case Mexicans) had all written home to their friends.

It was just a little gag but its that kind of humor southpark is missin these days.

With that said, I still enjoy the new episodes, and there have been a few gems recently ( Cartman killing off his stuffed animals was a great episode) but the new ones lack the creativity of the old
    Like I said i definitely do agree. The episode tomorrow will probably be funny, but for how long? How long down the line before people forget the whole Zimmerman thing (and especially World War Z) and it's not funny anymore? When I go back and watch reruns online, it's almost exclusively seasons 1-8 because everything after that seems dated as hell even though technically they're more current than the original ones, but it's because like you said the old episodes were built around the characters, not current events

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    There has only been 2 new episodes.
    o wow my bad. for whatever reason when typing that up that post, i thought the first one was 2 episodes. i really didnt pay too much attention to that one cause i lost interest in that one right from the beginning. totally slipped my mind
    Last edited by Levity; 10-08-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Levity
    o wow my bad. for whatever reason when typing that up that post, i thought the first one was 2 episodes. i really didnt pay too much attention to that one cause i lost interest in that one right from the beginning. totally slipped my mind
    It is all good. I wasn't a big fan of the 1st episode myself, but did like the 2nd. Looking forward to this one.

Also, there have been several years where the 1st episode was one of the worst of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    Like I said i definitely do agree. The episode tomorrow will probably be funny, but for how long? How long down the line before people forget the whole Zimmerman thing (and especially World War Z) and it's not funny anymore? When I go back and watch reruns online, it's almost exclusively seasons 1-8 because everything after that seems dated as hell even though technically they're more current than the original ones, but it's because like you said the old episodes were built around the characters, not current events
    I agree that the completely original ideas are best, but I still enjoy jokes about current events even when the episodes become old. Same thing with other shows. I still crack up at old SNL skits about Reagan, both Bushes, and Clinton. If the jokes are funny and are about things memorable enough, they will last in my mind. More specifically to South Park, the episodes with Kenny in a coma (based on Terri Schiavo) and N*****-guy (based much on the Michael Richards rant) are absolutely hilarious episodes that still work even though it has been a while since those events.

I guess in the end, funny is funny and I don't care if it is based on current events or not as long as it is still creative and not lazy.

Just as I hoped: World War Zimmerman = Hilarious.

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Just as I hoped: World War Zimmerman = Hilarious.
    Agreed. I hadn't watched any South Park in like two years and thought I'd gotten too old for it, but I was wrong. This episode was amazing.

Serious playground baller paperstreet's Avatar

World war Zimmerman was a fantastic episode

Quote Originally Posted by TheReturn
    Agreed. I hadn't watched any South Park in like two years and thought I'd gotten too old for it, but I was wrong. This episode was amazing.
    "Cartman finds love" from last season is hilarious. Just watched it earlier today. If you don't mind more gimmicky episodes, "I Should Have Never Gone Ziplining," was also great from last season.

Goth vs Emo was probably one of the funnier episodes I've seen in a long time. There were moments where I was straight out laughing out loud.