Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xavi expected to join Villa & Lampard on New York FC

I seriously did not see this one coming. At 'only' 33, this maestro should have a heyday playing in the MLS

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/...-york-city-fc/

Banned

Default Re: Xavi expected to join Villa & Lampard on New York FC

Welcome to MLS.

I will go watch them when they come to LA.

I hope MLS All Stars will still be playing friendlies against some Euro teams.

I wonder how big of an impact Beckham had on this sort of thing. They probably saw Beckham make good money, experience team success, and move to a premier US city and thought that is a pretty good idea.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    I wonder how big of an impact Beckham had on this sort of thing. They probably saw Beckham make good money, experience team success, and move to a premier US city and thought that is a pretty good idea.
    Coming to America is always a good idea. Even though Becks lost some steam in his last years but it had a lasting effect.

Banned

MLS got three great players this summer. Well one, at least. The other two, Lampard and Villa, as a huge Lampard and Chelsea fan, I can say they're a shadow of their former selves. Still good for the US though.
    Last edited by Shade8780; 07-10-2014 at 01:37 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    For the players they view it as a better option then getting paid in Saudi Arabi or some country that will overpay. First, the league is competitive and very professional. Second, alot of European players seem to be attracted about the idea of playing/visiting America and why not get a big fat check while doing so. Third, These guys are stars in Europe and they've pretty much done it all I guess living in the US will let them off the spotlight a bit because I doubt the average american will recognize them.

But Beckham has been a huge success for the league though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    For the players they view it as a better option then getting paid in Saudi Arabi or some country that will overpay. First, the league is competitive and very professional. Second, alot of European players seem to be attracted about the idea of playing/visiting America and why not get a big fat check while doing so. Third, These guys are stars in Europe and they've pretty much done it all I guess living in the US will let them off the spotlight a bit because I doubt the average american will recognize them.

But Beckham has been a huge success for the league though.
    Great cities. Fantastic living and get paid.

The bad or good thing? Xavi will be mistaken for a gardener who mows the lawn.

But I wonder how effective Xavi and Lampard will be in the MLS where the play is very physical, tough and requires alot of effort. Surely they'll need to have a "destroyer" and a relentlessness worker behind them giving them coverage.

Also interesting as the Tiki Taka/Possession style of play historically hasn't worked in the MLS and hasn't really been attempted. I wonder if Kreis(their manager) will try to start a revolutionary system.

Even thought NYCFC Will be an expansion side next season they are very ambitious team.. They have alot of projects going on

XAVI

One of my favorite players of all time and still a monster. Going to be a pleasure to watch him and Guaje in MLS. It's going to be hard to root against NYC FC now. Hopefully the Lampard deal isn't true though.

But I wonder how effective Xavi and Lampard will be in the MLS where the play is very physical, tough and requires alot of effort. Surely they'll need to have a "destroyer" and a relentlessness worker behind them giving them coverage.

Also interesting as the Tiki Taka/Possession style of play historically hasn't worked in the MLS and hasn't really been attempted. I wonder if Kreis(their manager) will try to start a revolutionary system.

Even thought NYCFC Will be an expansion side next season they are very ambitious team.. They have alot of projects going on
    I think Xavi will be fine just because he's so supremely skilled that he'll find ways to succeed no matter the style of play. I do agree that the possession game will be an issue thanks to the painfully narrow pitch they'll be playing on in Yankee stadium. They really need to keep that 3rd DP spot open for a younger player.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    XAVI

One of my favorite players of all time and still a monster. Going to be a pleasure to watch him and Guaje in MLS. It's going to be hard to root against NYC FC now. Hopefully the Lampard deal isn't true though.
    It's weird cause Lampard was expected to join the Galaxy last Summer but it never materialized as Chelsea kept him on. Strange seeing him sign for NYCFC.

But the Xavi deal was rumored since January. Was rumored to sign with NY Red Bulls and hopefully he changes his mind

XAVI

I think Xavi will be fine just because he's so supremely skilled that he'll find ways to succeed no matter the style of play. I do agree that the possession game will be an issue thanks to the painfully narrow pitch they'll be playing on in Yankee stadium. They really need to keep that 3rd DP spot open for a younger player.
    I'm assuming they have used all of their DP slots with Villa, Xavi and Lamaprd.

As for the younger players I'm interested to see how they use Man City's academy. Don't know if Man City can loan them players and I don't know how it will count on NYCFC roster specifically whether it will take a foreign spot, whether it counts as a homegrown, DP, etc.

They do have the expansion draft and wise thing to do is stack up on some of those MLS lifers(what I like to call them) good MLS players but not good enough for NT or Europe and won't take a huge amount of their cap space. High work rate players will be needed though because Lampard and Xavi won't be putting their work in defensively(I'm fairly certain of this).

Banned

MLS guys can't play tiki taka. I doubt they are going to do that for Xavi.

I'm assuming they have used all of their DP slots with Villa, Xavi and Lamaprd.

As for the younger players I'm interested to see how they use Man City's academy. Don't know if Man City can loan them players and I don't know how it will count on NYCFC roster specifically whether it will take a foreign spot, whether it counts as a homegrown, DP, etc.

They do have the expansion draft and wise thing to do is stack up on some of those MLS lifers(what I like to call them) good MLS players but not good enough for NT or Europe and won't take a huge amount of their cap space. High work rate players will be needed though because Lampard and Xavi won't be putting their work in defensively(I'm fairly certain of this).
    For sure. What sucks about NYC FC and Orlando City is that having two expansion drafts is going to kill other teams' depth while they get to get bargain value on some decent players. Guys like AJ Delagarza, Bobby Convey, Andrew Jacobson, etc. are all probably going to be unprotected players that they can scoop up. I know they just signed Jeb Brovsky from the Impact.

good luck maestro

For sure. What sucks about NYC FC and Orlando City is that having two expansion drafts is going to kill other teams' depth while they get to get bargain value on some decent players. Guys like AJ Delagarza, Bobby Convey, Andrew Jacobson, etc. are all probably going to be unprotected players that they can scoop up. I know they just signed Jeb Brovsky from the Impact.
    Yea, unfortunately that's one of the downsides of expansion as the quality of play gets watered down a bit although that was the case years ago when less star quality players joining the league but nowadays it's probably not so bad.

But it does open the door for new talent to get a chance and it forces teams to actually spend. Although there's still a ton of parity gone(in my opinion) are the days where the cheapest and most frugal teams can win the league(like Columbus, Chivas, San Jose, etc) and you really need to atleast have 1-2 DP's to be a worthy contender.

Hopefully the homegrown players do get a shot and the draftees as well. There's going to be more openings and all the teams are required to have a certain amount of Americans on their squad. Just remember guys in the USMNT such as Beckerman, Wondoloski, Zusi and even Besler were considered nobodies in the MLS at one point and a few were journeymen. But in general besides the major MLS players(the non-DP ones I'm talking) alot of them do change teams every few years and teams are used of finding replacements, it's all about a game of cap..

Plus, I do think there's talent on the bench of MLS teams that are arguably as talented as the starters(not that big of a gap). For example my team some unknown rookie is starting over former USMNT fullback Bobby Convey and MLS journeyman Kimara and the player is just okay. I feel like that may be the case for alot of teams.