Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Blazers score basket against Celtics using six players on the court

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    Again, my understanding is that it would be a T against the team with 6, but that the possession wouldnt change.

I can understand why boston fans are mad, but again, they lost by what.... 5? Maybe it got into the players heads, but in the long run it didnt lose them the game. Imagine if it'd happened with 10 secs in the 4th and a close game.
    I just agreed you were right (read the post right below your explanation).

It was a momentum changer though, no doubt about it.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather
    I just agreed you were right (read the post right below your explanation).

It was a momentum changer though, no doubt about it.
    yeah sorry,. read it rifght after I posted it.

Yeah it was a blown call, but dude... the Blazers were playing without Brandon Roy. That's an instant +30 in the Celtics' favor. :P

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reppy
    Yeah it was a blown call, but dude... the Blazers were playing without Brandon Roy. That's an instant +30 in the Celtics' favor. :P
    Whether or not the game should have been close enough for the call to matter is an issue for the Cs to deal with internally in terms of coaching up the players a little better and addressing weaknesses. The refs still have a responsibility to make that situation right.

shhhhhhh

took awhile but here's the rule...

Section III

d. It is the responsibility of each team to have the proper number of players on the court
    when play begins. Failure to do so will result in a technical foul being assessed and charged
    to the team.
    EXCEPTION: If the violation occurs on (1) a free throw attempt which is to be followed
    by another free throw attempt, or (2) a free throw attempt that is not going to remain
    in play, (3) throw-in before the ball is released, or (4) jump ball before the ball is released.
    http://www.nba.com/media/2008-09-NBARuleBook.pdf

page 40

In one of my high school games two days ago, one of our players made a 3 and got fouled literally 2 seconds after, so we thought it was an and1. But, they said it was after the shot. So the other team in bounded the ball and our second best player fouled him at half court and he picked up his fourth. When our coach looked at the score board he saw the other team had 7 fouls (the last one from the foul after the made 3) and complained to the refs that he should have shot a bonus free throw after the 3. So after 10 minutes of discussion, he got to shot the bonus and our player didnt get his 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Whether or not the game should have been close enough for the call to matter is an issue for the Cs to deal with internally in terms of coaching up the players a little better and addressing weaknesses. The refs still have a responsibility to make that situation right.
    From what I read, the league office said it was the right thing to do. So apparently it was made right. Just not to your satisfaction.

Whenever refs make a mistake (and this was probably just an honest mistake) and uncover it after some damage has been done, they're bound to reslove it in some way that noone likes. In the case of this Cs game, the refs probably figured that they were either going to have Rivers yelling at them all night for scoring the basket or both Rivers and McMillan yelling at them, Rivers figuring that all their anti-Celt calls were bad and McMillan upset at them for taking away a scored basket, which may or may not be permissible by the rules. They chose to only have to deal with screaming from one instead of two.

Quote Originally Posted by reppy
    From what I read, the league office said it was the right thing to do. So apparently it was made right. Just not to your satisfaction.
    Well, I'd say that they then followed the procedure correctly post-screw-up, but they didn't make things "right." It was still two points that the Blazers ought not have had. Oh well though, it's just one game.

Now if you want to blame them for missing the 6 six players on the court, then yeah, I'm with you there. That's pretty bad. But y'know, refs miss a ton of obvious stuff. If any player was called for every bit of contact, every dirty movie, then the entire league would foul out in 10 minutes.

And I imagine the rule will be modified or changed soon to take this type of situation into account.

I'm saying that, given the info you provided (I didn't know that the league said they acted correctly) they did the best they could under the circumstance. But that isn't the same thing as making it "right."

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    took awhile but here's the rule...

Section III

d. It is the responsibility of each team to have the proper number of players on the court
    when play begins. Failure to do so will result in a technical foul being assessed and charged
    to the team.
    EXCEPTION: If the violation occurs on (1) a free throw attempt which is to be followed
    by another free throw attempt, or (2) a free throw attempt that is not going to remain
    in play, (3) throw-in before the ball is released, or (4) jump ball before the ball is released.
    http://www.nba.com/media/2008-09-NBARuleBook.pdf

page 40

Did you guys even read that post? That post should end all discussion on this thread.

/Fin

National High School Star

Coming from someone who has refereed games before, the hardest stuff to spot is the unusual, no matter how obvious. You are conditioned to look for specific things so much that you have to filter out everything else. You've got 3 refs, and they are supposed to watch 10 guys for hip checks, hand slaps, illegal screens, travelling, double dribble, 3 in the key(both ways), and a few other things, as well. You think they count the number of players on the floor for every possession?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    It was still two points that the Blazers ought not have had.
    But that happens ALL THE TIME. A shot counts when his foot was on the line. Someone blocks a shot but it should have been goaltending. A missed foul. A shot counts as a 3 that shouldn't. On and on and on...... Mistakes are part of the game. Refs made a mistake in not catching it. It happens.

It's just that this mistake was a doozy and comical. But still an honest mistake by refs, which partly got corrected with the technical foul.

I didn't watch the game, but I bet there was "make up call" immediately after that. Probably some phantom foul called on the Blazers. Happens all the time......

I saw no make-up call. Whatever though.