Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: The Hobbit will be shown in 2D, 3D and high-rate-frame 3D

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    I'm not an expert in cinematography but our eyes can't see past 20fps, so how exactly does this 48fps enhance my experience? Seems like lots of more frames I'm gonna miss.
    Definitely made a difference. I think that theory is false. People say the same thing about first person shooter games, that it's no use to increase fps from 60 to 100 but it definitely does make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Definitely made a difference. I think that theory is false. People say the same thing about first person shooter games, that it's no use to increase fps from 60 to 100 but it definitely does make a difference.
    For FPS games it enhances your actual shooting accuracy and since it's a video game it simulates that environment live for you based on your behavior/settings etc. A movie is a recorded piece that is played out for you. What I'm asking here if there is something I dunno that 48fps specially provides?
    PS: we can see up to 60fps in high panic mode.

For FPS games it enhances your actual shooting accuracy and since it's a video game it simulates that environment live for you based on your behavior/settings etc. A movie is a recorded piece that is played out for you. What I'm asking here if there is something I dunno that 48fps specially provides?
    PS: we can see up to 60fps in high panic mode.
    i dunno when i played it definitely made a difference. And not only shooting accuracy either, the movement too.

In terms of 3D HFR movie, I would say it provides a different experience. Better or worse is subjective.

48FPS affects the smoothness of the motion.

Lets' say a character walks across the frame. In 24 FPS, each frame would a certain distance apart. In 48 FPS that distance would be smaller, that is each frame is closer to what the previous frame showed than normal film speed. there's less blur for the eye I think.

It ends up looking different. It seemed a little crisper than most movies at times and I think that is what make it look kind of fake....it looks like a movie set. This is in the close ups. In looks great in wide angles and the 3d was really bright and good looking, but you notice the motion

I figured it would be smoother cause of the 48fps but does it look like a movie (cinematic look) or is it on the real life side(home video look)?

Saw it Friday night for the second time in the HFR format after skipping it the first time around.

Definitely hoping that they use this format more in fast-paced action/adventure/fantasy/sci-fi type flicks. Just a for instance, the scene where the Dwarves sing and throw Bilbo's plates and bowls around the room...the 48 frames made a huuuuuge difference. Won't say more but must be seen to really be understood how this impacts the appreciation of the scene.

I saw the movie both in 2D 24 frames per second and 3D HFR.

I preferred the movie in 3D HFR and I think in the future I suspect the majority of movies will be shot at even higher framerates.

The scenes that were bad in 3D HFR were just as bad in 2D and the movie has a couple scenes that flat out just don't work regardless of the technology. That is mainly due to too much CG and unrealistic physics.

In 2D 24FPS the film looked grainy, this helped some of the CG from a traditional movie standpoint, but when the action sped up I could tell it had been shot in a higher frame rate, because the action seemed jerky, almost like frames were missing.

In 3D HFR the film was very smooth and everything looked extraordinarily crisp, however I felt the CG did not blend in as well, and certain things looked faker (maybe it was because I'd already seen the movie and was paying more attention to little details).

I figured it would be smoother cause of the 48fps but does it look like a movie (cinematic look) or is it on the real life side(home video look)?
    Parts looked video, but more like a high end soap opera than home video. My film geek friend kept using the phrase "it had the immediacy of video."

Since I had heard about this debate I was kind of looking for this, but I think I would have noticed it any way. A lot of people would not.

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc
    In 3D HFR the film was very smooth and everything looked extraordinarily crisp, however I felt the CG did not blend in as well, and certain things looked faker (maybe it was because I'd already seen the movie and was paying more attention to little details).
    You think? One of the first things I commented on upon exiting the theater was that Gollum looked more real and more natural than he did in the LotR trilogy and 24fps Hobbit.

Some of the parts where Jackson used slow motion for CGI shots did look a bit off in the HFR version, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    You think? One of the first things I commented on upon exiting the theater was that Gollum looked more real and more natural than he did in the LotR trilogy and 24fps Hobbit.

Some of the parts where Jackson used slow motion for CGI shots did look a bit off in the HFR version, though.
    Undoubtedly Gollum looks 1000% times better than in the LotR in both versions of the Hobbit, and Gollum looked fine in HFR. The scenes I had trouble with with the Goblin King and his minions, they did not look good in HFR imo, especially in the action scenes, although I thought those scenes were weak in both versions.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Parts looked video, but more like a high end soap opera than home video. My film geek friend kept using the phrase "it had the immediacy of video."

Since I had heard about this debate I was kind of looking for this, but I think I would have noticed it any way. A lot of people would not.
    I see, thanks, would you have liked if LOTR was done this way? Or do you think it would not work for an epic?

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    i personally hate 48 FPS

the claims that it makes shit look fake are true.

you can blatantly tell its a movie set.

you can friggin see the damn make up caked on actors faces its so bad.

its basically the same as how some of the newer TVs are so good you have to go into their settings and downgrade the ****ers b/c they make it easy to see how the lighting and sets are obviously fake.

48 FPS essentially makes a movie look like an expensive stage play.

i get that it will eventually be the standard but until people relearn how to do lighting, sets, makeup, etc, its going to look like ass.

I remember a few months back a poster created a thread titled "Marvel Avengers is the greatest movie ever" or something like that. Anyway, a few weeks after the Blue Ray/ DVD was released, Walmart had the BR version running on multiple hdtvs, one of which had a feature called "motion plus", which basically doubles the frame rate of a movie's animation, and adds vivid clarity to film.

The problem I saw with this feature is that it allows you to instantly see a clear divide with whatever was done using computers, versus whatever was shot on a film set. While the CG stuff looked great, any "on-set" part of the film, would show with a clarity that would instantly take you out of the film, looking somewhat like a "behind the scenes" segment on Entertainment Tonight or something, where you can hear the director yell "Action" b4 an action scene starts.

The film viewed this way destroys the uniform "look" of a film viewed with fewer frames and that "gritty" somewhat grainy look that we're all used to when we normally watch movies.

I would warn anyone to NEVER watch this movie with Motion Plus turned on. It cheapens the hell out of the film when watched this way. I'm just glad I only caught like 3-5 minutes of the film like this (still gotta watch the whole thing).

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc
    Undoubtedly Gollum looks 1000% times better than in the LotR in both versions of the Hobbit, and Gollum looked fine in HFR. The scenes I had trouble with with the Goblin King and his minions, they did not look good in HFR imo, especially in the action scenes, although I thought those scenes were weak in both versions.
    Peter Jackson did an interview with Stephen Colbert and he said the effects they had for Gollum were more advanced this time around. They had more muscles active in his face for better reactions.

I think if LOTR were done this way, I would say the same things.

48fps might just be something we will get used to.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Did you see the high frame rate version?

Yes. The CGI portions were excellent. When they were inside the mountain with all those orcs....wow simply amazing. And that one orc that's on the zip line

The scene where they are stuck on the mountain looks kinda hokey due to the increased frame rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    When they were inside the mountain with all those orcs....wow simply amazing.
    I thought those scenes were terrible. It looked like a video game.