View Single Post
Old 10-31-2019, 03:12 AM   #76
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Default Re: Even at the age of 6 years old...we are still athletically superior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj1987
Do you understand basic physics? 6 years olds, no matter what, are not capable of inflicting that sort of damage. They do not have the required momentum. I have nephews, who, as kids, took tumbles all the time. It's pretty much the same. Both are on pace to get into Ivy League schools. Didn't affect them, one bit. Not to mention the fact that they had injuries where they broke their noses, etc..

Again, I posted actual research which when into it. You're using an opinion as your argument.

From my article, which was ACTUAL RESEARCH:

When it comes to concussions, for 8-13 year old kids, there was a 0.067% chance of a kid getting a concussion.

When it comes to serious injuries, for 8-13 year old kids, there was a 0.14% chance of a serious injury.

Injuries in general, for 8-13 year old kids, was 0.26%.

The risk of actual injury for both tackle and flag football is a whopping 0.27%.

Again, this is not a small sample size. This is a sample size of 44,164 kids who played tackle football. Flag football pretty much doubles the injury rate though. Something which is still negligible.

As I said, kids at their ages (the ones posted in the twitter link) are not even remotely close to being able to hit hard enough to inflict actual damage. Basic physics and biology.

Please go through this article:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5305025/

I'm sorry, I missed this... I'm not citing opinion. I'm citing experts who both discovered CTE and specialize in studying CTE and other brain injuries.

Quote:
"Based on everything we know about CTE, Flag Football Under 14 makes overwhelming scientific sense," said Lee Goldstein, M.D., Ph.D., associate professor at Boston University School of Medicine and College of Engineering and principal investigator for the Brain study, in the release. "We will never prevent CTE by focusing on concussions. Any meaningful prevention campaign has to focus on preventing all hits to the head, including subconcussive impacts."

I'm not sure if you read my post, but I specifically noted that subconcussive hits were the real concern, not simply concussions.

Quote:
A Boston University study released Thursday provided scientific evidence that repeated hits to the head, even those that do not produce concussion or concussion-like symptoms, can lead to the degenerative brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE).

"We've had an inkling that subconcussive hits the ones that don't [show] neurological signs and symptoms may be associated with CTE," Dr. Lee Goldstein, an associate professor of psychiatry at the Boston University School of Medicine and the lead investigator on the study, told NPR. "We now have solid scientific evidence to say that is so."

So while the research you mentioned dwells on concussions and observable injuries, the research has moved beyond that. Also, I'm glad your nephews are doing well, but signs and symptoms of brain degeneration don't generally and necessarily present in young people in their late teens and early twenties. The concern isn't that kids are going to struggle early in life because they played football when they were kids. The concern is that while the subconcussive hits they receive when they are young don't produce any noticeable damage when they are young, those repeated hits will set them up for challenges when they are older.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote