Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: The further adventures...

Going to the basketball Court at 7 am. It's time to play again.

Thursday 6.23.2016 low impact workout

Finally got on the court again after a bike ride. I played in surf shorts and running shoes. Didn't matter. I went 5-0 against scrubs led by a fat, short, no-vert having Kyrie Irving wannabee. His dribble-moves were a decent knock-off but he sucked. He sucked mostly because he was short, slow and fat. The 2 dudes I met on my team were good passers and we enjoyed over-passing. I dug that. Maybe over-passing is catching on? Anyways, mini-Kyrie was mad he couldnt win a game and started calling bad fouls, screaming at his boys and fouling hard. Funny, he still lost. It wasn't even close. We weren't even trying.

Friday 6.24.2016 2-hour med impact workout

Crazy day today on the courts. I was playing 3 on 3s and won a set of 3 with my usual over-passing style. I was racking up assists like a madman. Then it was on to a full-court game. We were winning and I guess I was talking too much trash because this little punk started trying me. When I tried him back his bigger brother stepped in and tried me back. I didn't back down and insulted his mother.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Then after constant bickering back-and-forth I finally said "okay, my bad. Let's just play." But the guy wanted to fight. There was no way around it. He was melting down. He put his fists up and started going after me. Nobody tried breaking up the fight. They wanted to see it go down.

He swung at me 4-5 times, missing like a chump.

Now the rest is blurry, but, the guy swung at me and connected with my arm. In my mind I was like "let me surprise him with a kick". I was tired as **** and tagged him with a weak left kick. It was shit. Then he connected with my mouth and my teeth ripped open my bottom lip. I have a scar from the same shit happening a few years earlier on my left so now I'll have scars on my right side. Might be time for plastic surgery. I didn't go down though and his little brother swung at me and I think tagged me in the back of the head. And then they ran off.

I gave them some space to run off and then followed so I could get their license plate. I called the cops and filed a police report when the ambulance came. I was a bloody mess and didn't get a good hit in. There were dudes all around so I'm sure the footage will be somewhere on the internet soon.

I was released a few hours later from the hospital with a broken wrist (I have no idea how) and lacerations to my face and head. I will be pressing charges because I need to pay my medical bills and I have to sue somebody.

Todays lesson: Some people are too stupid to comprehend the concept of trash talk. I knew this already but I have to remind myself that there are some dumb mother****ers out there. I'm too old for this shit. I'm going to keep to myself and stop messing with younger fools that think they are invincible. On the bright side, at least there was no gunplay/knifeplay involved.

Medical ramifications: The hospital used the super glue on me. No stitches used. That's a first. I have 4 staples on the back of my head and a cast for the broken wrist. This is going to be one hell of a medical bill. Got a CAT scan. No concussion. Got XRays, fractured left wrist.
    Last edited by DoctorP; 06-24-2016 at 03:59 AM.

Never give up.

Still recovering. Out 3-6 weeks.

I will start biking again on Tuesday.

Have fun

I had an accident and cracked my right shoulder.

Out an additional 3 months.

There will be an extended rehab afterwards.

NOT GOOD.

(sucks gettin older)

It's one month later and I am back earlier than expected! My wrist and shoulder are feeling no pain so I gave it a shot with a plan to play once a week to get back into the swing of things. Thankfully I have been riding a lot of bike these last two weeks so I have not been completely inactive.

I shot around and played some 3-on-3 with some peeps and had some issues with strength and conditioning but I have no residual pain so far ( 3 hours later) and that is a good sign that my body has healed.

Yay healing.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP
    It's one month later and I am back earlier than expected! My wrist and shoulder are feeling no pain so I gave it a shot with a plan to play once a week to get back into the swing of things. Thankfully I have been riding a lot of bike these last two weeks so I have not been completely inactive.

I shot around and played some 3-on-3 with some peeps and had some issues with strength and conditioning but I have no residual pain so far ( 3 hours later) and that is a good sign that my body has healed.

Yay healing.

Gonna start practicing again tomorrow.

Another weekend, another few games of bball. FIt felt good to play a few 3-on-3's with no pain. I feel renewed in some ways. I am not really even trying to win games right now and I am happy to be out there playing. I met this dude that likes to run pick and rolls so we crapped on these 2 youngins who wanted no part of it and barely tried to keep up. I don't think they cared, really. The pick-and-roll hooper had fun with it also and wants to team up for bigger matches in the future. Cool, I'm down.

Fun thread. I'm reading it.

Another day of games today as I have been continuing my attempt at keeping a one-game-a-week schedule going and I have realized that, as far as my conditioning goes, biking is helping me tremendously. Almost more than my bball training regimen as far as cardio goes. I like to ride fast so that aspect gives me extra incentive to push myself more than sprinting up and down court. My nutrition and calorie intake is almost at all-time low levels yet I was able to keep up a steady pace of running due to the cycling.

I played several games and as I got more and more tired I kept talking too much shit. I am an old school point-guard that likes to communicate on court but against this lower level of comp it's not necessary at all and most-likely excessive. Plus, I put up shit shots due to pushing myself too hard and not being able to relax.

It's the same deal I have already written about. A need for mental toughness as fatigue sets in, a need for more nutrition to offset fatigue, bla bla bla.

The thing is this, I am going too hard and maybe this is the time, at 37 years old, to sit back and enjoy myself. Maybe not try too hard and enjoy the people and the game yet these guys are competitive and I know I can kick their ass which makes me want to compete.

But maybe this is not my time to compete in basketball anymore.

I'm a writer.

Maybe it's time to take in less calories and more books and tea and preserve my healthy body. The era of competition is over for me.

I'm almost at scrub level now, just happy to be out there and laughing and making a good time of this game of basketball. But my jumpshot can't be ****ed with... leave me open and I can school you.

Just shoot around in the court wearing some pants.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP
    Another day of games today as I have been continuing my attempt at keeping a one-game-a-week schedule going and I have realized that, as far as my conditioning goes, biking is helping me tremendously. Almost more than my bball training regimen as far as cardio goes. I like to ride fast so that aspect gives me extra incentive to push myself more than sprinting up and down court. My nutrition and calorie intake is almost at all-time low levels yet I was able to keep up a steady pace of running due to the cycling.

I played several games and as I got more and more tired I kept talking too much shit. I am an old school point-guard that likes to communicate on court but against this lower level of comp it's not necessary at all and most-likely excessive. Plus, I put up shit shots due to pushing myself too hard and not being able to relax.

It's the same deal I have already written about. A need for mental toughness as fatigue sets in, a need for more nutrition to offset fatigue, bla bla bla.

The thing is this, I am going too hard and maybe this is the time, at 37 years old, to sit back and enjoy myself. Maybe not try too hard and enjoy the people and the game yet these guys are competitive and I know I can kick their ass which makes me want to compete.

But maybe this is not my time to compete in basketball anymore.

I'm a writer.

Maybe it's time to take in less calories and more books and tea and preserve my healthy body. The era of competition is over for me.

I'm almost at scrub level now, just happy to be out there and laughing and making a good time of this game of basketball. But my jumpshot can't be ****ed with... leave me open and I can school you.

I just turned 38 and I feel your pain. I was never the most talented guy playing but I was always one of the quickest. Now that my body is older those days are over. I'm good for one or two quick moves a game but that's about it. If my body is hurting I've got no quickness, no smoothness it's to shoot and I can't guard a stop sign.