Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Do you think the Beijing Olympics will be Rigged?

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    That's what I said. I know they wanted to put together a team that could play small ball since the international game relies so much on outside shooting, but it doesn't make sense to me that the only real center they put on the team is Howard. I guess Bosh could slide over and play there too but he's more of a PF. I think they are actually going to have Anthony play C at times. Coach K said he thinks he will have Kidd, Kobe, and Wade in the back court at times.
    Greece destroyed them in the paint last WC's and now they insist with the same approach. Their bigs could be in foul trouble early in the games. Anthony at C? That has to be a mistake, maybe as PF but not at C.

Still, they have an impressive roster, let's see if they can play real team ball.

Decent playground baller simasu01's Avatar

Right, but names alone don't win games, except for 1992. In the article, I do see what they mean, and I think, mostly it is the mental toughness. When I play or watch basketball, I like speed and a wide spread court. When Americans play, the coaches always want you to post up, back down, box out. The difference in the game begins in 7th-8th grade levels, with Europe and most of the world keeping speed and a wide game, while Americans decide to hit the weight room and overpower their opponents, plus the mindset is already there. Compare Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Garnett. Both play the same position, are about the same height, but obviously play nothing like each other, mainly due to the place their from.
    Like berraco says, Greece destroyed them in 2006, due to the lack of presence in the paint, something that was unexpected for the US back then. Now, they should have been ready. I don't see Greece as a threat this year, but other countries will be, mainly Spain with the Gasol brothers.

NBA lottery pick

Exactly why I wish our best players would go. They still have a good shot though.

Quote Originally Posted by simasu01
    Right, but names alone don't win games, except for 1992. In the article, I do see what they mean, and I think, mostly it is the mental toughness. When I play or watch basketball, I like speed and a wide spread court. When Americans play, the coaches always want you to post up, back down, box out. The difference in the game begins in 7th-8th grade levels, with Europe and most of the world keeping speed and a wide game, while Americans decide to hit the weight room and overpower their opponents, plus the mindset is already there. Compare Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Garnett. Both play the same position, are about the same height, but obviously play nothing like each other, mainly due to the place their from.
    Like berraco says, Greece destroyed them in 2006, due to the lack of presence in the paint, something that was unexpected for the US back then. Now, they should have been ready. I don't see Greece as a threat this year, but other countries will be, mainly Spain with the Gasol brothers.
    Even then Greece was not really a threat in the paint (Spain shown that) but they still managed it. That's the big point. Now they should have learn a lot from that, so I expect a better team. And a better team defense (I can't remember Greece scoring 100 points in years but they did it against the US!).

Exactly why I wish our best players would go. They still have a good shot though.
    Sure they have it. But now they have to demonstrate it.
    Last edited by berraco; 06-25-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Banned

I can see China trying to do ANYTHING possible to get themselves medals, bronze at least.

I hope China has better sportsmanship than Korea (the most corrupted big sport events host ever).

Quote Originally Posted by kaiteng
    I can see China trying to do ANYTHING possible to get themselves medals, bronze at least.

I hope China has better sportsmanship than Korea (the most corrupted big sport events host ever).
    Not in basketball. If they win a medal there, the Olympics will be totally shut down as a sportive competition. Some other sports, maybe, where there are judges that have the complete power to decide who wins. But not in basketball. But I don't even think they will do.

Good High School Starter la bomba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by berraco
    Not in basketball. If they win a medal there, the Olympics will be totally shut down as a sportive competition. Some other sports, maybe, where there are judges that have the complete power to decide who wins. But not in basketball. But I don't even think they will do.
    I agree there are about 7 teams that are far better teams than china.
    I hope Greece and Slovenia qualify.

[QUOTE=dd24] The Euro teams might lose one, maybe two people at worst.
    Not true! Look at Serbia in the last eurobasket. Missing about 8 or more players.
    Croatia were missing 3 or 4 important players too,Vujcic for example.Slovenia was also missing 3 or 4 players.

Decent playground baller simasu01's Avatar

[QUOTE=la bomba]
    The Euro teams might lose one, maybe two people at worst.
    Not true! Look at Serbia in the last eurobasket. Missing about 8 or more players.
    Croatia were missing 3 or 4 important players too,Vujcic for example.Slovenia was also missing 3 or 4 players.
    He needed to show a reason why the US lost. Lithuania is always missing Ilgauskas, and sometimes Macijauskas, plus a Lavrinovic brother this year. Same goes to the 3 countries above. Greece didn't have Schortsianitis. Really, there are important players missing everywhere, but they still prevail, except for Serbia, who played with probably the cockiest low achievers in their history, a total embarassment.

NBA lottery pick

I already have. In my posts above I've named players and we've already discussed the whole sending NBA rookies thing. In 2004 we were missing more than 8.

I rule the local playground b.jerk's Avatar

All I want is a honest and gritty fight but team usa has to add another 7 footer immediately

Quote Originally Posted by b.jerk
    All I want is a honest and gritty fight but team usa has to add another 7 footer immediately
    true,thats what we all want I suppose.I also agree with you that I believe USA are shooting themselves in the foot by not taking another big centre.doesn't even have to be great.

NBA lottery pick

Agreed, I thought Brad Miller was adequate enough. Does anybody know why he didn't make the squad this year? A big guy who plays defense and can shoot outside and actually had a good year last year despite his age. Hmmm, seems like a no brainer to me. I'd really like to see some premier athletes step up. KG how about not being a complete jerk outside the court for once? Shaq, you're probably not going to win another championship, how about another medal? Duncan, how about going to an olympics where they put another 7' center on the team? I know it was tough on Duncan last time because he was the only one, but if there is more than one go!!!

Besides Spain with the Gasol brothers, what kind of size is the rest of Europe bringing to the games?

I rule the local playground b.jerk's Avatar

The US team could struggle with China because of Yao Ming and that post forward with the Nets and If the Greeks, Brazilians or the Litvaks qualify, team usa could struggle against them. It's a bad sign of either a defeatist attitude or incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by b.jerk
    The US team could struggle with China because of Yao Ming and that post forward with the Nets and If the Greeks, Brazilians or the Litvaks qualify, team usa could struggle against them. It's a bad sign of either a defeatist attitude or incompetence.
    maybe there is thought in the USA selection,maybe they think that the likes of shaq would not cope with defending the likes of bouroussis a 7ft centre who shoots the 3 real well.Or tsartsaris,ntikoudis, or other 4-5's that can shoot well.I don't know but maybe they wanted quicker more athletic defenders for these type of european inside players who actually dont play inside!However what they are maybe being shortsighted about is that in europe players are versatile and these shooting big men can actually play inside too.