Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

Default Re: Top 5 Favorite Movies of 2012

Quote Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
    [COLOR="Red"]Didn't you make a thread about how badass Underworld was too?[/COLOR]

As for my top five I'd go:

1. Prometheus
    2. Avengers
    3. TDKR
    4. Chronicle
    5. Snow White

There's quite a few movies I didn't see this year that I wanted to (Hunger Games being one), especially since the local theater has 5 dollar matinees on the weekdays.
    oh yeah, damn didn't realize that was this year

that would be #4 though for me...good brainless action flick for a 3D theater...I am betting it isn't that great on TV though

I haven't seen TDKR yet, so don't be alarmed that it isn't on my list:

1. The Amazing Spiderman
    2. The Avengers
    3. The Hunger Game
    4. The Grey
    5. Contraband

#1 & 2 are interchangeable imo.

TDKR
    Avengers
    Thats my boy
    21 jump street

Quote Originally Posted by ukplayer4
    we haven't had any of the good films yet. if any summer movies make my final top 10 of the year it means it was a REALLY bad year. but so far....

1. the hunter 8.5/10
    2. the hunger games 8.5/10
    3. snow white and the huntsman 8/10
    4. the dark knight rises 8/10
    5. the avengers/prometheus 8/10
    You're supposed to have good taste, how can you give snow white an 8? Such a badly edited, generic movie that borrowed from everything and brought nothing new on its own....such a blah movie...

Top 5 so far IMO

Avengers
    Dark knight Rises
    Ted
    Moon Rise Kingdom
    Les Intouchables

Haven't seen too much that I liked this year, bad year for movies.

1. The Dark Knight Rises
    2. Avengers
    3. Prometheus
    4. Chronicle
    5. Really nothing I feel like giving credit to.

havent watched many but i like 21 jump street and TED was pretty funny

Quote Originally Posted by 28renyoy
    1. Moonrise Kingdom and it's not even close
    lmao you're such a stupid pretentious hipster

NBA lottery pick

Am i the only one who thought 21 jump street was weak? I thought Ted was Way better

1. Dark Knight Rises
    2. Avengers
    3. Ted
    4. Thats My boy.
    5. Spider man

I havent watched that many movies this year though to be honest.

Da Mavs

1. TDKR
    2. Avengers
    3. Cabin in the Woods
    4. Amazing Spiderman
    5. 21 Jump Street

honorable mention to hunger games and ted.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by christian1923
    Am i the only one who thought 21 jump street was weak? I thought Ted was Way better
    I thought that 21 Jump Street was way more witty. Most of Ted's best parts had to do with references to stuff from the 80s rather than actual original bits/dialogue (and yes, I understand that 21 Jump Street also had 80s references). Just my opinion though. I had Ted just a little behind it.

1. The Avengers
    2. The Darknight Rises

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Never heard of it, but just watched the trailer and have added it to my "to watch" list.

i think you will enjoy it. its a film that won't be widely seen but will enjoyed by almost everyone that does stumble on it, its a really fresh, interesting film with great cross genre ideas. i don't know what id compare it to, maybe the wicker man i guess. let me know how you like it.
    another film that will be universally enjoyed but hardly seen is the hunter, my favourite film of the year so far.

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    You're supposed to have good taste, how can you give snow white an 8? Such a badly edited, generic movie that borrowed from everything and brought nothing new on its own....such a blah movie...

easy, each to their own. i loved snow white. i have no idea wtf people can even find to criticise in it it was a perfect little fantasy film THAT ACTUALLY HAD STRONG FANTASY ELEMENTS. we need more films like this these days it reminded me of those 80's movies like never ending story and labyrinth etc that were unashamedly fantasy. that scene with the forrest and all the great little touches were superb and even the acting was fine, where the film fell down was the third act when it got away from what it was doing well and tried to do a battle/lotr's type section. that didn't convince and the film fell down here but the first 2/3's were superb. "borrowed from everything and brought nothing new" its snow white, how exactly could it deviate from what it is? whats impressive is that it managed to actually capture the essence, thats much better than "bringing something new" for this kind of film.

Great college starter FatComputerNerd's Avatar

TDK
    Ted (simply awesome)
    Snow White
    Chronicle (very underrated)
    Dark Shadows
    Avengers

-Had to do 6, and not necessarily in order.

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AboveTheRim.
    Yeah, a movie about kids being forced to kill other kids is wayyyyy too cliche (take away Battle Royale and find me a movie like that). Sure, there was that lame hollwood romance between the two main characters, but stuff like that seems to appear in most movies nowadays. If you can't look past some minor elements in film to enjoy the rest then that's your problem.
    I'm not just talking about children, I'm talking about down and out characters in general forced to participate in a "death game" of some sort because of the big bad authoritarian futuristic regime.

Gamer (2009)
    Death Race (2008)
    Rollerball (2002 and 1975)
    Battle Royale (2000)
    The Running Man (1987)

Just to name a few, and I'm probably missing a lot. Besides, what was the rest to enjoy?

Let's start with the flat and lame main character Katniss. God what a bore, the actress didn't do this cookie cutter protagonist any favors. She was a typical boring bad ass with a heart of gold, she had little to no personality, and the scenes demonstrating her ability were incredibly lame. One in particular, during the pre-game ceremony involving scores of players, where she received an 11 (the top score of course) which drew some cheers from the moronic crowd I was sitting with.

Woody Harrelson was surprisingly flat in this movie as well, the writing did him absolutely no favors. The main dictator (Donald Sutherland) was cliche in his few appearances, and his little henchman (the dude from American Beauty) looked and acted ridiculous throughout.

Let's not forget the final cop out of this sad film. Either Katniss or Peta (WTF kind of name is Peta?) must die. They threaten to both commit suicide, and this authoritarian regime, instead of flexing their power and letting them both perish, ******* out and declares them both winners. Unbelievably absurd.

If you like the Hunger Games, then you may as well lump yourself into the same crowd as those who like Twilight, because it is honestly the same quality of book and film.