Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: David Stern: Sanctions coming

Quote Originally Posted by doublethetrouble
    i had to log in for the first time in 4 months just to point out the stupidity of this comment.

Duncan/Parker/Ginobili need more experience?
    Which he followed up with this gem:

This is a new Heat team with a new set of arsenals his starters needed to compete with in order to learn and evolve before the playoffs roll around.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    Both sides got their reasons, and both are right. Can't blame/hate neither Stern or Popovich.
    Yes you can. Stern wants to say something to the effect of "bummer for the fans, but we're 30 individual franchises, I disagree with Pop's decision, but each team runs their organization as they see fit" cool. Talk some shit to Pop in the media or whatever, Pop sitting his guys is a weak move.

But fining guys is stupid. Unless you want to start fining every team that sits starters the last 2 weeks of the year when the playoffs are decided. It's the exact same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Yes you can. Stern wants to say something to the effect of "bummer for the fans, but we're 30 individual franchises, I disagree with Pop's decision, but each team runs their organization as they see fit" cool. Talk some shit to Pop in the media or whatever, Pop sitting his guys is a weak move.

But fining guys is stupid. Unless you want to start fining every team that sits starters the last 2 weeks of the year when the playoffs are decided. It's the exact same thing.
    Well, I guess fining the Spurs for a rule that doesn't exist is to blame, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    I totally agree.

I've seen a lot of support for Pop's decision, but I think by pulling his starters from the world champion and in my opinion still the best team so far this year is stupid. Win or lose, his starters should of treated this game like a playoff game because this is the team to beat if they were to make it to the finals. They need all the experience they can get, not f*ckin' Memphis Grizzlies.

Tired or not. If you are healthy, you play ball. Period. Some kid working minimum wage at Mcdonald's is still required to show up to work if he is not sick or dealing with family issues that might prevent him from attending. These spoiled millionaires are going to take the day off because they are too tired?

Please. Go play ping pong Duncan.

Bad decision by Pop. If he is so concerned about their health, then limit their minutes; at least they could of had a chance to steal one from the Heat.

They had a chance to steal the game tonight... Did you even watch the game or were you to busy bitching?

They were 1-2 plays away from an upset.

You people whine about stars, whiles real basketball fans can watch fine basketball without Manu behind the back passes sparking the offense

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Who sets the NBA schedule? Who's the dolt that scheduled an elite team 4 games in 5 nights so they would be exhausted. And who do they end that road trip with? The Wizards? No.

The League decides to deliberately schedule the end of that road trip (and in fact that entire month) to be against the world champions.

Spurs schedule:
    Nov 23 Pacers
    Nov 25 Raptors
    Nov 26 Wizards
    Nov 28 Orlando
    Nov 29 Miami

And what about the Heat schedule?
    Nov 17 Phoenix
    Nov 21 Milwaukee
    [COLOR="Red"]Nov 24 Cleveland
    Nov 29 Spurs.
    [/COLOR]

Not only does the league deliberately force the Spurs into the corner like that, but they then proceed to nationally televise that humiliation.

And then when the team does what is best for themselves Stern pronounces they're going to sanction the Spurs.

The League truly needs to get rid of David Stern if he talks about sanctions after allowing that to happen to some of the great players of this generation.

NBA Superstar

Popovich is such a baby'ing lil bitch. only the soft ass spurs could/would pull shit like this lol 15 games into the season resting his players....you have to be kidding me.

I rule the local playground Floppy's Avatar

Business > *

If they get fined I'm done watching this shit.

Casual "fans" are the bane of every sport.

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    I totally agree.

I've seen a lot of support for Pop's decision, but I think by pulling his starters from the world champion and in my opinion still the best team so far this year is stupid. Win or lose, his starters should of treated this game like a playoff game because this is the team to beat if they were to make it to the finals. They need all the experience they can get, not f*ckin' Memphis Grizzlies.

Tired or not. If you are healthy, you play ball. Period. Some kid working minimum wage at Mcdonald's is still required to show up to work if he is not sick or dealing with family issues that might prevent him from attending. These spoiled millionaires are going to take the day off because they are too tired?

Please. Go play ping pong Duncan.

Bad decision by Pop. If he is so concerned about their health, then limit their minutes; at least they could of had a chance to steal one from the Heat.
    While I understand your premise my concern, as well as many others I'm sure, is the legal complications this precedent could set in the NBA (and other leagues) concerning the power of the commissioner, even when those powers are not implicitly or even expressly stated.

Stern has such a history of making "basketball related decisions" (notice the irony quotes) that in his case it's especially worrisome.

This is absurd.

The "sanctions" the Spurs face is that they lost a game that perhaps they should have won (and could have won regardless).

Popovich had every right to rest the players that he did. And he also has the right to make the statement that he did.. that the schedule is excessive and leads to fatigue and injuries.

Meanwhile, should the Wizards be fined for putting out the product that they do? The Spurs still fielded a better team last night than 1/2 a dozen teams in the NBA.

The only argument Stern has in his favor is the fans in Miami (I could care less about a TV audience), but
    a. Those tickets would have sold out regardless of who they were playing
    b. The fans got to see a great game
    c. The fans got to see their team win, would they prefer a loss?
    d. The fans come to see LBJ, Bosh, Wade. Most don't care about the opposing teams players and would have bought those tickets regardless of who they were playing. The few die hard fans that came to see TD and TP would know about Popovich's antics most likely.
    e. "Wahhhhh" It's a risk they take buying ticket to any event. Should The Who refund concert tickets if they don't play Baba O'Riley at a show?
    f. It happens all the time late in the season and in the pre-season. Fans actually get to see some hidden gems on the bench

Stern has become a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Purch
    They had a chance to steal the game tonight... Did you even watch the game or were you to busy bitching?

They were 1-2 plays away from an upset.

You people whine about stars, whiles real basketball fans can watch fine basketball without Manu behind the back passes sparking the offense
    No dumbsh*t.

If the bench players can keep the game that close, imagine what the starters could do playing limited minutes? It would of been an easy win for them.

This is the reason why I question their willingness to compete. Do you think Jordan would of ever taken time off against the Pistons when he knew full well that was the team he had to go through regular season or playoffs?

Pop knew the schedule ahead of time; a true competitor would rest his starters against the crappy Wizards and Magic to gear up for the Heat.

You play to compete, and by skipping the best team in the league and ring holder, this is full proof Pop no longer has the desire to compete again. Have fun with that early playoff exit: it seems like that is the team's only goal losers.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
    This is absurd.

The "sanctions" the Spurs face is that they lost a game that perhaps they should have won (and could have won regardless).

Popovich had every right to rest the players that he did. And he also has the right to make the statement that he did.. that the schedule is excessive and leads to fatigue and injuries.

Meanwhile, should the Wizards be fined for putting out the product that they do? The Spurs still fielded a better team last night than 1/2 a dozen teams in the NBA.

The only argument Stern has in his favor is the fans in Miami (I could care less about a TV audience), but
    a. Those tickets would have sold out regardless of who they were playing
    b. The fans got to see a great game
    c. The fans got to see their team win, would they prefer a loss?
    d. The fans come to see LBJ, Bosh, Wade. Most don't care about the opposing teams players and would have bought those tickets regardless of who they were playing. The few die hard fans that came to see TD and TP would know about Popovich's antics most likely.
    e. "Wahhhhh" It's a risk they take buying ticket to any event. Should The Who refund concert tickets if they don't play Baba O'Riley at a show?
    f. It happens all the time late in the season and in the pre-season. Fans actually get to see some hidden gems on the bench

Stern has become a joke.
    Pop is obviously taunting Stern. I doubt his players were tired. Pop felt Stern screwed him over with a rugged schedule; he knew this would be a huge televised game on TNT; he knew if he did not come out to play, it'll send a huge F-U message to Stern and his goons.

14 games in the season and cry baby Dunkie is already complaining about being too tired; these old farts need to give up basketball and go canoeing or some sh*t. Weak.

Local High School Star TheCalmInsanity's Avatar

I'm thinking the reason Stern is so upset is because the NBA is an entertainment business. From an entertainment standpoint, when TNT is paying to air (and have the rights to) a great game between the Spurs and the NBA champions, people want to see the big name players.

Now I understand the move from a coaching perspective and I agree a coach can bench players whenever he wants. But shouldn't these guys be in good enough condition to play all 82 games? It's just weird to me, the NBA has been around for a while and it's been 82 games for a while, every team has been fine with it.

ANOTHER THING: I believe if you're not going to play the players, AT LEAST have them come to your games. Why would you send them home? So Timmy, Parker, Green, and Ginobili are all sitting on their couches at home, holding a glass of whisky on the rocks, watching this game on their 72" TV's while banging their wives and getting paid for it.. While the bench players are at the game playing it. Just not fair, imho.

All in all, what I've got from this is.. Not fair to the national audience who wanted to see the Spurs at full strength vs the Heat at full strength, not fair to the Spurs fans who would want to see their team at full strength (and possibly another W), and not fair to the Heat because now they don't know how they stand against the Spurs judging from that game. Assumptions can be made that they can't even beat the Spurs bench, but who knows what other variables would be in there if the starters played.

At the end of the year, you wanna rest your players for postseason play, etc., I'm all for it. Again, though, we're BARELY a month into the season. Completely unacceptable. I don't often agree w/ Stern, but he's right on the money here.

Great...more "basketball reasons".

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski

its not the same as the end of the year thats why people citing that is laughable. its obvious towards the end of the year players are tired, that playoffs are around the corner, and its at least understandable you sit players for your playoff run....but to do it 15 games into the season? how far away are the playoffs again? he's micro-managing to that degree this early? only Pop the overcoacher...notice no other teams coaches pull BS like this and they have some packed schedules too.

its just so anti competitive lame its unbelievable actual NBA fans are trying to justify it. it sets a horrible precedent. lucky Pop is like Phil where they have so many fanboys that think they can't do wrong....