Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I might add Lebron James to the front page list, I'm getting some measurements of him that you can't find on draft express

9" hand length
    9.25" hand width

nba.com says shoe size 14
    official cavsgroup facebook says size 15
    the internet is slathered with size 16

and I have some of his weigh ins at various points of his career
    I actually have seen a pair of LeBron 8 V1 PE's that he wore in some games last season, and they indeed were size 16.

His normal shoe size is 15, but for in game use where your feet are taped up and double socked, you need to go up a size.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    I actually have seen a pair of LeBron 8 V1 PE's that he wore in some games last season, and they indeed were size 16.

His normal shoe size is 15, but for in game use where your feet are taped up and double socked, you need to go up a size.
    good point

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    It'd be fun to see Jordan's hand size, or Dr. J or Connie Hawkins... those guys had enormous hands and that was part of the reason why they were able to make such amazing drives!![/B]
    9 3/4" long, haven't found the width yet

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    Could you do Charles Barkley? Btw, great work. Thanks.
    I'll keep him in mind to start looking, I might not find much on him it's usually only the "impressive" specimens that people go out of their way to take detailed measurements of. Some of the older era players don't even get measured (Hakeem, Ewing, Ralph Sampson) - Sampson outright refused when pressured for it (because he's virtually the same height as Kareem, if not a smidge shorter, he isn't 7'4). But if IIRC Barkley's precise height was 6'4 7/8 (or maybe it was 5/8) for the '92 Olympics. There's a popular pic of him being arrested that people like to use to suggest otherwise but that is him in whatever shoes he was wearing - barefoot he's very often cited to be right around 6'5

Very informative thread. By the way Russell was measured at 6'9.5" without shoes.

I wish that in the 2012 Olympics. Team USA will measure the players height, weight, and wingspan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Very informative thread. By the way Russell was measured at 6'9.5" without shoes.
    Thanks, do you have a source? I always like to bookmark or take note of sources

Thanks, do you have a source? I always like to bookmark or take note of sources

http://grove.ufl.edu/~cwarner/century/Russell.html

Why do the NBA players inflated or over billed there players height? This ain't professional wrestling. In our country 70-80% of the players listed height are without shoes measurement.

You have 5'11" Derek Fisher being listed at 6'1"
    You have 6'1.5" Derrick Rose being listed at 6'3"

Why do the NBA players inflated or over billed there players height? This ain't professional wrestling. In our country 70-80% of the players listed height are without shoes measurement.

You have 5'11" Derek Fisher being listed at 6'1"
    You have 6'1.5" Derrick Rose being listed at 6'3"
    Because money talks + when it first was happening they easily got away with it w/o anyone ever knowing.

In the 1960's nobody had any reasons whatsoever to inflate a players height unless it was to intimidate maybe, but even that didn't really do anything because in the small league everybody knew how tall you were once they played you - there really wasn't a benefit to being "taller" on paper.

Then you have the transition period into the 1980's when the NBA was expanding and superstars of a new media age were being drafted. When contracts were getting into the millions, shit got real. A guy who is big is worth more than a guy who is not. Hence, ~6'7.5 Magic became 6'9 and ~7'1.5 Ralph Sampson became 7'4. It was at it's most ridiculous in those 1980's years because there was really no draft data or anybody around to force those guys to be measured. Once those pro's went into international competition though, a the majority were getting exposed as overbilled. At the time, an alraedy (billed) 7'1 235 David Robinson was measured 7'0 and 226 by a suspicious 1989 Olympic committee. And after '92 exposed most of the dream-teams inflated measurements it was pretty much an exposed thing at that point. The league's, and colleges excuses for allowing players to be billed this way is "well that's their height in shoes"... And the league has stuck to that lame excuse ever since despite the fact that it is total B.S. because Dwight Howard for example, was 6'10.25 in his shoes, and got listed 6'11 anyways. And players come into draft camps deliberately wearing larger shoes than they'll play in anyways. And not every player even does that some (it's rare) actually list barefoot like how the NBA used to do it before it became big market. It's dumb, I agree, but that's what they want to do I guess - basically any player pretty much picks his own height as long as it is within ~2 inches of his actual height.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 04-12-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Because money talks + when it first was happening they easily got away with it w/o anyone ever knowing.

In the 1960's nobody had any reasons whatsoever to inflate a players height unless it was to intimidate maybe, but even that didn't really do anything because in the small league everybody knew how tall you were once they played you - there really wasn't a benefit to being "taller" on paper.

Then you have the transition period into the 1980's when the NBA was expanding and superstars of a new media age were being drafted. When contracts were getting into the millions, shit got real. A guy who is big is worth more than a guy who is not. Hence, ~6'7.5 Magic became 6'9 and ~7'1.5 Ralph Sampson became 7'4. It was at it's most ridiculous in those 1980's years because there was really no draft data or anybody around to force those guys to be measured. Once those pro's went into international competition though, a the majority were getting exposed as overbilled. At the time, an alraedy (billed) 7'1 235 David Robinson was measured 7'0 and 226 by a suspicious 1989 Olympic committee. And after '92 exposed most of the dream-teams inflated measurements it was pretty much an exposed thing at that point. The league's, and colleges excuses for allowing players to be billed this way is "well that's their height in shoes"... And the league has stuck to that lame excuse ever since despite the fact that it is total B.S. because Dwight Howard for example, was 6'10.25 in his shoes, and got listed 6'11 anyways. And players come into draft camps deliberately wearing larger shoes than they'll play in anyways. And not every player even does that some (it's rare) actually list barefoot like how the NBA used to do it before it became big market. It's dumb, I agree, but that's what they want to do I guess - basically any player pretty much picks his own height as long as it is within ~2 inches of his actual height.

Future Positive Repped. LMAO at 5'8'5'9" JJ Barea who claimed that he's 6 feet tall. 5'10" George Lopez is taller than him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqaweoL92E4

http://www.celebheights.com/s/George-Lopez-613.html

What's Wilt, Kareem, and Russell's vertical leap?

56/12/8

Scary how KD has got essentially the same wingspan as these guys

Nobody measured that kind of thing with any sort of consistency (therefore accuracy) back that far. Only in the past decade can any vertical leap numbers be trusted