Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: US gun related murder rates compared to other countries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organis...nd_Development

[QUOTE]The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD, French: Organisation de coop

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    why didnt they include mexico or russia in that graph?
    Russia is not part of the OECD. If you read the article, you would find this
    The above chart measures data for the nations of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which includes all Western countries plus Turkey, Israel, Chile, Japan, and South Korea. I did not include Mexico, which has about triple the U.S. rate due in large part to the ongoing drug war.
    Russia works with the OECD and may be taking steps to join it, but it's not a member.

National High School Star

The murder rate in the US is way down. The big decline started in 1994 and continues. Seems to me that this correlates to the rise in popularity of assault rifles. Assault rifles sales got a huge boost from the Clinton assault weapons ban. Of course it was not really a ban, as there was many loopholes, and actually led to a huge increase in sales.

Link: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murd...-state#nat1970

I am not saying the two are related, but it is very interesting that at the same time assault rifles are increasing in popularity the murder rate is declining dramatically.

I think you could form a hypothesis that the rise in popularity of assault rifles has not impacted the murder rate.

Quote Originally Posted by bmulls
    If you subtract gang crime related murders the US is right in the middle of the pack.
    and if you subtracted gang related murders in other countries, where would america rank then????

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    and if you subtracted gang related murders in other countries, where would america rank then????
    Don't know, but gang activity in the United States is off the charts compared to European countries

Don't know, but gang activity in the United States is off the charts compared to European countries
    Yes but you can't just claim something without having the numbers to back you up.

Decent college freshman

Yes but you can't just claim something without having the numbers to back you up.
    It would take me half an hour to find all those stats just so I could post it on ISH and get negged for my opinion anyway

The point is gang related violence skews the numbers greatly and this chart is biased and clearly agenda driven.

You can make a logical assumption based on some facts. Hell, here in the Bay there seems to be a gang related shooting every other week, especially around Oakland.

It would take me half an hour to find all those stats just so I could post it on ISH and get negged for my opinion anyway

The point is gang related violence skews the numbers greatly and this chart is biased and clearly agenda driven.
    gang related violence isnt a problem in our society? lets say 2 gangsters were shooting at eachother in front of your house. would you not have a problem with that?

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    The murder rate in the US is way down. The big decline started in 1994 and continues. Seems to me that this correlates to the rise in popularity of assault rifles. Assault rifles sales got a huge boost from the Clinton assault weapons ban. Of course it was not really a ban, as there was many loopholes, and actually led to a huge increase in sales.
    It also correlates with Wade v. Roe.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    It also correlates with Wade v. Roe.
    Source?

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    gang related violence isnt a problem in our society? lets say 2 gangsters were shooting at eachother in front of your house. would you not have a problem with that?
    You are seriously retarded dude. Stop responding to my posts or learn reading comprehension. Google the words if you don't understand them.

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    You can make a logical assumption based on some facts. Hell, here in the Bay there seems to be a gang related shooting every other week, especially around Oakland.
    Ok, and I would make a logical assumption that gang related murders happen in other countries and make up the majority of their murder rates. In Canada for example if you took out gang related crime such as biker gangs, toronto gangs, and quebec mafia then the murder rate would almost be non existent. How many other countries could you make a similar claim.

I am not saying the two are related, but it is very interesting that at the same time assault rifles are increasing in popularity the murder rate is declining dramatically.

I think you could form a hypothesis that the rise in popularity of assault rifles has not impacted the murder rate.
    I don't think that last sentence was what you mean to say.

Yes, you could form a hypothesis, but it might be a terrible hypothesis. You would get much better luck looking at the demographics of America and how the baby boomers were reaching middle age. You could also look what was happening with street crime with the ending of the first era of crack and you could look at criminal sentencing and how it has changed in the last 20 years. All of those would probably have more of an impact that any of our guns laws.

By the way, you have put your thumb on a classic logical fallacy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_hoc_ergo_propter_hoc

Source?
    The book Freakonomics.

Basically the question was, in NYC the crime rate dropped quickly and the Giuliani team claim it was due to their methods. However, shortly after that it became dropping in cities all over the country, lots of which didn't use the same methods. So what caused it? They concluded you could make a case for less unwanted pregnancies coming to term. I think they said in cities with access to legal abortion early on, the crime rate fell first.

I'm sure there's a ton of stuff on this, if you google it.