Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Andre Miller suspended one game for pushing Blake Griffen

Quote Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
    welcome to the nba *****

Co-sign.

Quote Originally Posted by momo
    Funny how often they catch the retaliation and not the original instigating.

Millers foul reminds me of Fishers VS Luis Scola... sort of cheap and over the top, but also understandable and maybe the right thing to do.
    Did Fisher get a suspension for it?

DGARAS
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
    I know it's a Blake Griffin lovefest on this forum, but from what I've seen, he's a great player obviously, but he seems to be arrogant out on the court, he seems to taunt people as well at times, and plays dirty. Just my stupid opinion.
    utahjazzfan

/enough said

NBA Superstar

There's a lot of random grabbing and shoving going on inside during a rebound opportunity. Depending on how an opponent responds to these maneuvers often dictates what is called and what is not. Ben Wallace was a guy who always did a great job of jumping at the time of contact between his body and a defender, thus visually displacing him in the air and making a foul readily apparent.

A lot of bigs inside will simply absorb the shots - the pushing, the shoving. When players like Wallace or in this case Andre Miller take a push and are clearly displaced, a foul is often in order. Sometimes the same push can be received differently from player to player.

Point: I feel Blake was attempting to make a basketball play on both occasions, clearly misjudged who he was making contact with inside and likely should have been called for a foul on both occasions. Further, perhaps he knew exactly what he was doing and he was simply trying to goad the little fellow in the paint by pushing him in the back (which I don't consider dirty in these two instances, though I do find them to be fouls).

Even with all that, I don't see how either of Griffin's plays warranted a response like Miller's. I think the suspension is the NBA's means of making up for the fact that a foul was not called. I believe the NBA thought a punishment of some sort was in order and I suppose they could have just handed out a fine, but I can see how the hit could be deemed malicious with possible intent to harm.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 12-07-2010 at 01:19 PM.

People are saying those kind of shoving are very common in the NBA. I don't think that's true.

Great college starter 50inchvertical's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    People are saying those kind of shoving are very common in the NBA. I don't think that's true.
    It is. Have you ever played basketball before? It's common on all levels of basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by 50inchvertical
    It is. Have you ever played basketball before? It's common on all levels of basketball.
    I disagree. Not the way Blake pushed Andre. On back to back place he made a calculated attempt to push on a smaller player he thought he could bully. It pissed him off (rightfully so). When Andre saw the refs weren't going to stop Blake from trying to bully him, he decided he'd stop it himself.

Great college starter 50inchvertical's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    I disagree. Not the way Blake pushed Andre. On back to back place he made a calculated attempt to push on a smaller player he thought he could bully. It pissed him off (rightfully so). When Andre saw the refs weren't going to stop Blake from trying to bully him, he decided he'd stop it himself.
    Lots of guys under the basket bodying each other around, you'll get pushed sometimes. Sometimes you'll even see guys unkowingly push their own teammates. It happens. I'm not saying I would have been mad if they called a foul on Blake either time, but difference is that's a basketball play that resulted in a foul. It's not nearly the same as just taking off full court and running somebody down who isn't looking. That's just dirty, his cup of bitchassness runneth over for that one

Yep, I've seen people battling for positions. The way Blake push Andre was not common at all in any level. That's why Andre was upset. Guy is a veteran, he wouldn't be that upset with something that's very common.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    From what I saw, Blake was fine. You wanna come bang downlow with the bigs in the paint, prepared to get boxed out, and moved around.

Andre Miller flat out targeted Blake, and pushed him down from a running start. Blake didnt complain either. Didnt say a word.

Andre being emotional as ever.
    This ...

Local High School Star TheCalmInsanity's Avatar

Calculated attempt to push on a smaller player he thought he could bully? Dude, Blake Griffin could probably outrebound Andre Miller without jumping.. He doesn't need to take advantage of something like that.

And if that pisses him off, then he should not be in the NBA. Get physical or go home.. Retard Andre Miller did the ONLY thing he could get away with on Blake.. A running tackle from BEHIND, full court while Blake Griffin was standing under the basket just waiting for a rebound, not expecting anything.

Way to send a message, maybe the next message he'll send could be going over to Griffin's house overnight and slapping him when he's asleep.. And then jumping out the window and running away.. That would give him just as many man points as what he did on the court.

So you really think Andre would "send a message" to Blake if they met up after the game? I'm sorry but if you think Andre Miller could handle a 6'10 monster you're just idiotic. Andre did something behind Griffin's back, during a game where players can easily be restrained and thrown out of the game..

Blake was playing basketball on his two pushes. He was being physical. Looking up at the basket. Waiting for a rebound. Had nothing against Andre Miller. It's a simple loose ball foul.

I agree with all you crybabies. GRIFFIN SHOULD HAVE GOT A FOUL ON BOTH PUSHES. But it's just a foul. No reason to get butthurt and put on your superman cape and try to be a hero by knocking down a guy to "send a message". Get that hard shit out of here man, this is the NBA. A sport where cussing isn't even allowed. You think revenge retaliation, with nothing on his mind but to hurt the other person is allowed?

I'm sorry but you guys need to learn how to think straight. A HORRIBLE foul by accident is a lot better than a small foul with intentions to hurt.
    Last edited by TheCalmInsanity; 12-07-2010 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCalmInsanity
    Calculated attempt to push on a smaller player he thought he could bully? Dude, Blake Griffin could probably outrebound Andre Miller without jumping.. He doesn't need to take advantage of something like that.

And if that pisses him off, then he should not be in the NBA. Get physical or go home.. Retard Andre Miller did the ONLY thing he could get away with on Blake.. A running tackle from BEHIND, full court while Blake Griffin was standing under the basket just waiting for a rebound, not expecting anything.

Way to send a message, maybe the next message he'll send could be going over to Griffin's house overnight and slapping him when he's asleep.. And then jumping out the window and running away.. That would give him just as many man points as what he did on the court.

So you really think Andre would "send a message" to Blake if they met up after the game? I'm sorry but if you think Andre Miller could handle a 6'10 monster you're just idiotic. Andre did something behind Griffin's back, during a game where players can easily be restrained and thrown out of the game..

Blake was playing basketball on his two pushes. He was being physical. Looking up at the basket. Waiting for a rebound. Had nothing against Andre Miller. It's a simple loose ball foul.

I agree with all you crybabies. GRIFFIN SHOULD HAVE GOT A FOUL ON BOTH PUSHES. But it's just a foul. No reason to get butthurt and put on your superman cape and try to be a hero by knocking down a guy to "send a message". Get that hard shit out of here man, this is the NBA. A sport where cussing isn't even allowed. You think revenge retaliation, with nothing on his mind but to hurt the other person is allowed?

I'm sorry but you guys need to learn how to think straight. A HORRIBLE foul by accident is a lot better than a small foul with intentions to hurt.
    Horrible post with illogical analogies and attempts to troll.

Made that high school varsity squad sacredcow's Avatar

A day after missing a game for the first time since the '02-03 season, Blazers point guard Andre Miller chatted about his suspension, his guided-missile attack on Blake Griffin, and how the NBA has changed. And just like that blow to Griffin, he didn't hold back.

On the significance of his streak: "It means a lot. Obviously it doesn't mean anything to the league. I take pride in it. I did what I did. I didn't it think it was something that ruled a suspension. I'll get the opportunity to it again definitely."

His reaction to the suspension: "I was surprised. I actually wasn't even notified. I found out toward the evening when I was sleeping that there would be a suspension. It just shows you how soft the league has gotten, protecting young players. It's not like it was when I came in this league."

On whether he thinks the collision will trigger referees to watch Blake Griffin more closely: "No, not really, because he's going to get away with it. I don't have nothing against him being an aggressive big man. I don't think I would have been suspended if there was a flagrant foul called on the court. Camby whacked someone in the face and he didn't get suspended. The rules don't apply to everyone."

On whether he would have done it again knowing it would warrant suspension: "I took two shots. The referees didn't call it on that end. I took two shots, then I gave a shot. I told the ref 'we can call that even now.' He didn't make the call, and he was looking right at it."

On whether the suspension was justified: "It wasn't justified at all. If I was a dirty player that was looking to go out and hurt someone then I can understand 'OK, this guy has a reputation.' Back in the day, like John Stockton, tough minded player, some people thought he was dirty, he never got suspended for anything. The league has changed, they favor the young guys now and that's just how it is."
    http://www.columbian.com/weblogs/bla...ler-unplugged/
    Last edited by sacredcow; 12-08-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Root Of All Evil

A day after missing a game for the first time since the '02-03 season, Blazers point guard Andre Miller chatted about his suspension, his guided-missile attack on Blake Griffin, and how the NBA has changed. And just like that blow to Griffin, he didn't hold back.

On the significance of his streak: "It means a lot. Obviously it doesn't mean anything to the league. I take pride in it. I did what I did. I didn't it think it was something that ruled a suspension. I'll get the opportunity to it again definitely."

His reaction to the suspension: "I was surprised. I actually wasn't even notified. I found out toward the evening when I was sleeping that there would be a suspension. It just shows you how soft the league has gotten, protecting young players. It's not like it was when I came in this league."

On whether he thinks the collision will trigger referees to watch Blake Griffin more closely: "No, not really, because he's going to get away with it. I don't have nothing against him being an aggressive big man. I don't think I would have been suspended if there was a flagrant foul called on the court. Camby whacked someone in the face and he didn't get suspended. The rules don't apply to everyone."

On whether he would have done it again knowing it would warrant suspension: "I took two shots. The referees didn't call it on that end. I took two shots, then I gave a shot. I told the ref 'we can call that even now.' He didn't make the call, and he was looking right at it."

On whether the suspension was justified: "It wasn't justified at all. If I was a dirty player that was looking to go out and hurt someone then I can understand 'OK, this guy has a reputation.' Back in the day, like John Stockton, tough minded player, some people thought he was dirty, he never got suspended for anything. The league has changed, they favor the young guys now and that's just how it is."
    All I heard there was ...