Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Marbury is officially a Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Actually look at Latrell Sprewell. Couldn't you see the situation simlar with Marbury, of cousre a ton of teams would give him a chance, but maybe ar 2-3 a year rather than the 20 he got. I could easily see him not playing. He's not one of these players (as far as i know) who spent all his money.
    I thought the article said Marbury got 1.3M? Of course nobody is going to pay him high dollar, but haterofhaters was saying that he wasn't going to get another chance if he proved a chemistry problem on the Celtcs. That's absurd, given the history of sports.

Marbury is what? 33? He wasn't going to get 20 mil at age 33 after not playing for what? Over a year?

Mathius

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G7Bl...layer_embedded

Video of Marbury thanking the Knicks for everything..and then ripping his shirt off and having a Celtics shirt underneath.

Fantasy Forum Mod haterofhaters's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    I thought the article said Marbury got 1.3M? Of course nobody is going to pay him high dollar, but haterofhaters was saying that he wasn't going to get another chance if he proved a chemistry problem on the Celtcs. That's absurd, given the history of sports.

Marbury is what? 33? He wasn't going to get 20 mil at age 33 after not playing for what? Over a year?

Mathius
    Yes, that is exactly what i'm suggesting. If Stephon Marbury doesn't find a way to gel and be cohesive with the defending champion Celtics, people are going to look at that and say "hey, this guy might have some talent, but I don't need him ****ing up our team chemistry so i'll pass." Even now he only had a few teams interested in him, and they considered it a risk taking him on.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthKGRay3412
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G7Bl...layer_embedded

Video of Marbury thanking the Knicks for everything..and then ripping his shirt off and having a Celtics shirt underneath.
    Badass avy

it's cause of the salary he wants. he gets small money inquiries, and he refuses to play for that money. it's not a case that teams wouldn't sign him.
    and Marbury hasn't proven to be money driven in the past?

Not airballing my layups anymore

To summarize, it looks like Celtics fans are cautiously optimistic about Marbury while all other fans (and especially contender's fans) are very concerned about the impact on team chemistry

Mathius
    i mean next year, do you think marbury would come back for a small salary to be a role player or would he just stay home. of course this year he'd come back, he's actually getting 20 million this year, not the small amount.

if things worked out well for the celtics maybe, but i wonder how appealing a 2 million a year bench role is for marbury long term.

NBA lottery pick

Easy deal.

It's a win and win situation for the Celtics; they are a great team without Marbury, and he could possibly make them a better team. He will be coming off the bench no doubt about that, however if he plays like the old Marbury, he could possibly start. I know that is a long shot, but it is worth mentioning.

Give this girl a Rose! Chicago-Rose's Avatar

Nice post b the OP. It sounds like the C's might have a great catch in this current version of Marbury. I think I might watch more of their games just to see how they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Foster5k
    Easy deal.

It's a win and win situation for the Celtics; they are a great team without Marbury, and he could possibly make them a better team. He will be coming off the bench no doubt about that, however if he plays like the old Marbury, he could possibly start. I know that is a long shot, but it is worth mentioning.
    He wouldn't start even if he was averaging 20PPG if he was able to start. His job will be to provide scoring off the bench which is what they need. Him driving to the lane and kicking it out to house fits well on paper at least.

LOL at people saying he might start at some point. Let's see...

Aging former superstar who has been a malcontent his whole career vs. young stud point guard who suffered from confidence problems at times.

Let's start Marbury!!!

Ahh, unfortunately you don't run the celtics because that would be great.

NBA lottery pick

i mean next year, do you think marbury would come back for a small salary to be a role player or would he just stay home. of course this year he'd come back, he's actually getting 20 million this year, not the small amount.

if things worked out well for the celtics maybe, but i wonder how appealing a 2 million a year bench role is for marbury long term.
    It's not up to Marbury. He'll be offered contract based on how well he plays. If he plays like a good bench player the caliber of Stackhouse the year Dallas went to the Finals, or Grant Hill now, he'll probably be offered a decent contract.

The idea that he won't be given a chance to play because of his off court antics makes me laugh. Talent is always more valued than chemistry in sports. Head cases with talent can always get a job.

Mathius

To be honest, you know who should have signed Marbury? The Knicks.

Think about it. After the Knicks let him out of his contract, Walsh should have thought about resigning him. Don't the Knicks need help at the guard positions? Walsh probably could have just signed him to the veterans minimum. Then, if he starts to cause problems, Walsh could have just cut him because of his small contract. Very little risk.

I don't know, seems like a missed opportunity for Walsh and the Knicks. You would think if they resigned Marbury, Marbury would have something to prove......

[COLOR="White"]Yes, it's a joke.[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder
    I don't care about his attitude in the past and how he's a team cancer, that won't fly with guys like Pierce and KG around.

I'm sick of those lame worms of "experts" talking their philosophy bullish "expertise" about the cancer that Steph is and bla bla bla.

Those guys I swear man, I would shoot em.

WHO the hell is Marbury to disrupt Celtics chemistry?

If he makes A MOVE that doesn't comply with Rivers' plan - he is BENCHED and after the game KG will probably stuff him in the trunk and drive him around town and drop him off a cliff.

But all these idiots writing **** like "Marbury will be a selfish player, he's gonna screw up Celtics' chemistry"

Gimme a break.

It's not up to Marbury. He'll be offered contract based on how well he plays. If he plays like a good bench player the caliber of Stackhouse the year Dallas went to the Finals, or Grant Hill now, he'll probably be offered a decent contract.

The idea that he won't be given a chance to play because of his off court antics makes me laugh. Talent is always more valued than chemistry in sports. Head cases with talent can always get a job.

Mathius
    They may get a job, but at significantly less that what their talent level suggests they should be making.