Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How good was Len Bias?

Here's an article analyzing how good Len Bias could have been:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=4011

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    A high percentage of NBA players used much more cocaine much more frequently and survived, let alone the rest of society in 1986. Bias had a bad heart and didn't know it. Saying that choosing to take the drugs killed him is like saying someone who died a plane crash did because they choose to fly.
    Did you just compared cocaine to commercial flights?
    Last edited by Blue&Orange; 10-27-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Local High School Star Bernie Nips's Avatar

Everyone's looking at the "OD" as a regular "OD" - that he took too much. This wasn't the case. That's what G.O.A.T is saying. He wasn't stoopid, he just wasn't aware he had a heart condition that he exploded the **** out of when he snorted up. It was the first time he'd ever done it. Step outside your misconceptions for a second everyone.

had his career turned out... he would have rivaled MJ's bulls for most of the 90s. and it would have made the 90s even greater if they had a rival to MJ. MJ might not be considered the GOAT as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Nips
    Everyone's looking at the "OD" as a regular "OD" - that he took too much. This wasn't the case. That's what G.O.A.T is saying. He wasn't stoopid, he just wasn't aware he had a heart condition that he exploded the **** out of when he snorted up. It was the first time he'd ever done it. Step outside your misconceptions for a second everyone.
    I dont have medical report how much he took, everywhere its reported he OD. Regardless, to use cocaine is a sign of stupidity, especially if you want to achieve something in life. I never heard of Bird or Jordan using cocaine, etc.

Anyone with a few brain cells knows the risk, its not like youth in US are with knowledge level of chimps in the jungle He took the risk, he payed the ultimate price, and again, there was nothing intelligent about his choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Nips
    I'm sorry but how do u know it was the first time? The investigation pretty much pointed otherwise. And do you know that the use of cocaine damages the heart? Funny his mother became an anti-drug activist, she should have became a electrocardiogram or a echocardiogram activist.

Regardless of what people believe comparing cocaine to flight is funny.

Local High School Star DirtySanchez's Avatar

He had it all and was in a great situation.

Sad till this day. R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    [COLOR="Navy"]I dont think Len Bias was that big bro. Mashburn was a stout fella probably 250lbs.

Len was a freak of an athlete though and a headsy player. But at the time he played I wasnt a devout college basketball watcher.[/COLOR]

Yea, you're probably right. Mash was a pretty build dude, probably closer to 255-260 I would guess based on how huge both his upper and lower body was. His lower body was so monstrous

Bias was probably closer to 240 but still very sturdy and strong

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    had his career turned out... he would have rivaled MJ's bulls for most of the 90s. and it would have made the 90s even greater if they had a rival to MJ. MJ might not be considered the GOAT as well.
    Len Bias and Reggie Lewis would have been a force in the league...

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    I never heard of Bird or Jordan using cocaine, etc.

Cocaine is a pretty common, and relatively safe party drug, especially among the wealthy. I'm sure plenty of past and present NBA players have at least tried Cocaine. Including great players like Jordan and Bird.

Made that high school varsity squad sacredcow's Avatar

Alcohol by definition is a drug and I bet 90% of the NBA partakes in it. I guess that means the whole league is full of morons. You can't argue against alcohol being a drug because it is the very definition of one. One of the most stupid, pointless, idiotic drugs at that. Lets not forget pill poppers too.

Local High School Star

he shouldn't have snorted that powder

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    I dont have medical report how much he took, everywhere its reported he OD. Regardless, to use cocaine is a sign of stupidity, especially if you want to achieve something in life. I never heard of Bird or Jordan using cocaine, etc.

Anyone with a few brain cells knows the risk, its not like youth in US are with knowledge level of chimps in the jungle He took the risk, he payed the ultimate price, and again, there was nothing intelligent about his choice.
    I wasn't alive back then, but wasn't cocaine outside the category of a hot button issues at that time? From what I've heard, anti-drug campaigns were at highs during the mid 90s to early 2000s. It's no excuse for him to use it, but let's not like we can't make the same kinds of mistakes.

Made that high school varsity squad sacredcow's Avatar