Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Default The hypocrisy of hockey

In light of tonight's brawl between the Flames & Canucks I wanted to ask the question: why is it that hockey players get away with fighting yet in basketball [and other major sports] small scuffles are treated like major offenses?

Default Re: The hypocrisy of hockey

It's usually mid-tier or scrubs who fight in hockey. If someone so much as breathes on Cindy Crosby or Alex Ovechkin then Gary Bettman bans the player from the league and sends their family to a gulag.

Side note: the creator of this thread is openly racist.

Continue.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

A little fighting is good to clear emotions in a game.. in an NBA game players hold back until theyre really sick of whats ever going on and they explode causing a big scuffle spreading across the court

There's ettiquette in hockey fighting.. theyre on skates so its always in a small stretch of ice, they throw punches and grab/block.. its pretty simple on skates. First to go down and fight is over. No 'retaliation' or gang jumpings. Its fair and settles the dispute and makes sure pent up rage doesnt make a player do something he may regret.

When youre out on a bball court you could have these guys chasing each other going everywhere, diving at each other, running around.. its just too wild and uncontrolled. Plus there would be no ettituquette like in hockey.. and they dont have pads and helmets on so it would likely be more dangerous. Just not a good idea for basketball based on how it operates

The only people who say there shouldn't be fighting in hockey are non-hockey fans. It's a statement I find to be pretty offensive quite honestly.

Also, even if NBA players were allowed to fight, there probably wouldn't be that many of them.
    Last edited by Heavincent; 01-19-2014 at 02:59 AM.

Because white ppl like to watch fighting as long as it's not black people beating up white ppl or vice versa?

You know, I think sports fans these days would rather see athletes take passive-aggressive shots at each other over twitter than actually fight like men.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

i played hockey my whole life, still play in men's leagues here and there.

it's just a part of the game. As another poster said the fights don't usually get too out of control.

Banned

the fighting is the only entertaining aspect of that sport

I'll admit I seen that fight. It was pretty cool.

Their grown men, millionaires. Let them fight. If you guys think NBA players don't associate with each other outside of basketball in their intense battles together on the court you're insane. I don't think it should be allowed but don't fine them and penalize them.

because no one gives a shit about hockey

Is the sport so boring that it actually needs fights to keep interest?
    This

hockey was the first sort i fell in love with not sure why people think its boring. Yea there are low scoring games but the game is has a good fast flowing pace. There are low scoring 1-0 or 2-1 games that were far more entertaining than higher scoring games.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    In light of tonight's brawl between the Flames & Canucks I wanted to ask the question: why is it that hockey players get away with fighting yet in basketball [and other major sports] small scuffles are treated like major offenses?
    Is that hypocrisy? Most of the people replying will know more about the NHL than me, I only care about the Bruins and then only when they're going for the Cup. Just asking because I don't see hypocrisy in your statement, that's just them permitting more violence than other sports. I don't think their punishments will end fighting like the NBA has but are they saying they have a hard stance against fighting?

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    hockey was the first sort i fell in love with not sure why people think its boring. Yea there are low scoring games but the game is has a good fast flowing pace. There are low scoring 1-0 or 2-1 games that were far more entertaining than higher scoring games.

because people don't know it.

People don't watch the sport = people think its boring. Just like how most americans view soccer.