Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default How do some people study for 6+ hours a day?

I've been going to this study room/library and I struggle to get to 3 or 4 hours a day. I take plenty of breaks, etc and it is still a struggle. I see this guy here everyday and he studies like 6 or 7 hours a day (assumedly...he is always here before I get here and bounces after I do).

Default Re: How do some people study for 6+ hours a day?

For some its just fun I guess.

Always wondered how that was too, even when writing my Masters thesis I couldn't do more than 4 hours a day, weekends excluded

Some creatures are like that i suppose

They're not necessarily being productive

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger
    They're not necessarily being productive
    That's what I always think - but they do a good job of looking like they are intensely studying the whole time.

I really wonder what they are learning...and whether they just suck at actual learning, but are good at sitting in one place that long.

My observations are skewed though since I'm in Korea. Kids go to school from 9 am to 10 pm basically from 4th grade on up. They are mentally conditioned for the studying I guess.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

you gotta work your way up to it. Practically necessary in graduate school.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    you gotta work your way up to it. Practically necessary in graduate school.
    Myth. I just graduated at the top of my class - 3.97 (Masters of Accountancy). There is no reason to ever study that much. Possibly with projects etc it may come out to 4 hours a day max. As long as you get in a concentrated two hours a day tho it should not need to be that much. People confuse quality study time with quantity of time spent studying.

Home of the 16

Motivation to succeed.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Myth. I just graduated at the top of my class - 3.97 (Masters of Accountancy). There is no reason to ever study that much. Possibly with projects etc it may come out to 4 hours a day max. As long as you get in a concentrated two hours a day tho it should not need to be that much. People confuse quality study time with quantity of time spent studying.

not a myth. you really can't get away with 4 hours a day for law school and especially the bar exam.

My brother recently finished med school. You aren't putting in 4 hour days for the boards either.

Yes i'm sure there are exceptions, but there are plenty of programs where you literally have to study as a full time job on top of your classes.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I couldn't do that either. If it's a subject I enjoy than I can retain the material very easily. But when studying material that I don't like it's a drag. I have to take breaks. I start to doze off. I used to study 2 hour at most and luckily could retain enough. I don't know how I was able to pass some classes when I barely studied at all. Like read for 30 minutes and than go watch the basketball game for the rest of the night.

NBA All-star

how are there so many subjects and threads?

NBA Superstar

take some adderall

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    not a myth. you really can't get away with 4 hours a day for law school and especially the bar exam.

My brother recently finished med school. You aren't putting in 4 hour days for the boards either.

Yes i'm sure there are exceptions, but there are plenty of programs where you literally have to study as a full time job on top of your classes.
    It's a myth in any field. You can only speak to your experience. Possibly you're just not as good at it? My best friend got his law degree at Case Western and I guarantee he was not doing anything near 4 hours a day.

That being said you should define "studying." Science graduate students are paid to work 40 hour weeks while registered. I guess one might call that studying, but I'm sure as hell not reading books to remember theories for oral or written examinations 6 hours a day.

Either way, those are not very healthy habits. Much better to spend less time more consistently than trying to cram several hours a day for a 1-2 week period in preparation for some type of exam. And that goes for nearly any skill you're trying to develop.

Motivation and knowing HOW to study. If you're reading word for word each page then your not studying the right way.