Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 71415161718192027 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: The sure to be epic 2013 Jazz off-season!

Earlier this week, Utah Jazz shooting guard Alec Burks had something to say to assistant coach Sidney Lowe after a game at the Orlando Pro Summer League.

"Coach, did you see that defense?"

Lowe had seen it.

"That's exciting for us," Lowe said.

It wasn't just exciting to see that the third-year pro played defense.

It was also exciting for the Jazz coaching staff that Burks listened to its advice and then returned with a positive self-report.

That's progress in action.

"We know that he can score the basketball. He can get to the basket," Lowe said. "But I saw him trying to really defend a little better here this summer, really trying to get after people better."

Burks has shown an improvement in the angles he takes on opposing shooting guards, Lowe said. He's pressuring the ball better. He's being more aggressive.

"He's certainly got to get better," Lowe said, "but he's working at it."

Burks didn't play in the Jazz's 79-73 loss to Indiana on Thursday

Trey Burke's brief bench banishment ended Thursday.

Unfortunately for the rookie point guard, his poor shooting didn't.

Though he made three shots in a row in the first half, the national player of the year missed his final 11 field goals in a 79-73 loss to Indiana at the Orlando Pro Summer League.

Burke, acquired in a draft-day trade after being picked No. 9 by Minnesota, has now only hit 9 of 42 shots (21.4 percent) in a Jazz uniform.

The 20-year-old said he felt rested after Jazz coaches had him sit out Wednesday's win over Brooklyn, but he's mystified by his continued inaccuracy.

"I know I can play much better than what I've been showing," Burke said.

According to the Jazz, those poor offensive numbers don't tell the full story.

Assistant Sidney Lowe credited him for being livelier Thursday.

"He went to the basket a couple of times and was able to get up and get the shot off," Lowe said of Burke, who had one particularly nice move when he went left and floated in a driving shot off the backboard.

"His defense was a little better; his movement was better," Lowe added. "I think the rest really helped him."

As coaches hoped, Burke did a better job of pushing the pace. That was one of the things he was instructed to do while sitting next to Jazz assistant Brad Jones during his one-game rest.

"The coaches said I played good, just my shot is flat. I've got to get some arch on my shot," Burke said. "That's just an adjustment I've got to make as well as playing through mistakes. Sometimes I make the wrong pass and I'm getting down on myself. I'm just trying to get comfortable out there."

Burke did finish with a plus-minus rating of plus-1 in a loss despite his 3-for-15 shooting. He had eight points, four assists, four rebounds and just one turnover in 26 minutes.

CHAMPIONSHIP DAY: Call off the parade preparations. The Jazz were eliminated from playing for the OPSL title with their loss Thursday. Utah is one of six teams that finished with a 2-2 record, but the Jazz and Pacers will have an early rematch Friday (8 a.m. MDT, NBA-TV) in the third/fourth-place game. Both teams finished with 16 points (three for victories, one for winning quarters).

Houston and Oklahoma City, both 4-0, will square off for the first championship in this new tournament format.

GAME RECAP: Former Bradley standout Chris Roberts, starting for Alec Burks, continued his solid play for the Jazz, leading the team with 18 points in Thursday's setback. The 6-4 shooting guard, who played for Austin in the D-League last season, leads the Jazz in scoring with 14.7 ppg this week.

Rookie center Rudy Gobert, the 27th pick in last month's draft, had another solid game with 11 points, eight rebounds and three blocked shots. Guard Jerel McNeal, who has a non-guaranteed contract with Utah, scored 11 points.

EMAIL: jody@desnews.com

TWITTER: DJJazzyJody

When Rudy Gobert stands underneath a regulation basket and extends his arms as high as they will go, he is separated from the rim by less than the length of an average ballpoint pen.

To dunk, he doesn

[QUOTE]"I thought all the guys played well, played hard," Corbin said.

Some shot better than others.

Although Jazz coaches aren't acting overly concerned about Burke's offensive debut, the shooting struggles of the national player of the year will probably be the lasting memory of this summer session.

Only three months after leading Michigan to the NCAA championship game, Burke just couldn't find his groove

Summer league results

Sunday

[QUOTE]"I think my performance," Burke said, "was poor."

Two weeks after the Utah Jazz boldly traded up in the NBA Draft to acquire Burke, the rookie

[QUOTE]One summer league ended Friday amid scuttlebutt that another could be starting back up.

Utah Jazz president Randy Rigby said Friday that he is gauging interest around the NBA of resurrecting the Rocky Mountain Revue, the popular summer league played in Salt Lake City for 24 years until 2008. At the time, more teams began flocking to the slate of games in Las Vegas, which is run by the NBA, and the Revue fizzled.

Now, Rigby believes the trend could be going the other way.

"There seems to be an interest from teams in bringing it back," Rigby said. "We have an interest, and I think we have a fan base that would support it."

Rigby said the Jazz would ideally start a six-team summer league next summer the week before Las Vegas

The Jazz got a "significant amount of cash" (Lindsey's words) for helping the Warriors clear enough salary space to obtain shooting guard Andre Iguodala from Denver. That undisclosed amount of money, the GM noted while thanking the Miller family, will be used for basketball-related facilities, to improve scouting and/or to sign and trade for other players.

"We're going to invest that money in ourselves," Lindsey said.

Jefferson does bring in a career scoring average of 15.0 ppg on 46.6 percent shooting, so it's possible he could find time behind Hayward and rehabbing Marvin Williams.
    Jefferson has certainly faded but he's still got to be better than Marvin no?

Always look pretty crap when i've seen the Warriors play last year.
    Last edited by Xiao Yao You; 07-15-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Nice quick write up on the Jazz summer league team

http://www.shamsports.com/2013/07/20...ando_8344.html

Marc Stein: Hearing: Free-agent PG John Lucas informed other suitors today that he has committed to Utah. Deal w/Jazz on course to be sealed this week Twitter @ESPNSteinLine
    I'm ok with him as a 3rd pg but it appears as if he will be the back-up possibly forced to start because Burke is so far in over his head. Tell us again Lindsey how you're looking to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong
    Always look pretty crap when i've seen the Warriors play last year.
    M. Gaye was crappy too.

Lucas' signing would bring the Jazz's roster up to the league minimum of 13 players, including guard Jerel McNeal's nonguaranteed deal.

Though the Jazz have added six other players this offseason, Lucas is the first via free agency. Utah acquired Trey Burke, Rudy Gobert and Raul Neto in draft-day deals, while Andris Biedrins Richard Jefferson and Brandon Rush all came from Golden State in a three-team trade with the Warriors and Nuggets.

It's possible the Jazz will still bring in another player via free agency or a trade. Last week, general manager Dennis Lindsey said he's more than willing to take on salaries from other teams to acquire future assets.
    1 to 3 roster spaces open. I would think Lucas is a minimum wage guy but who knows. He had the Jazz at the top of the list. I'd think just because he could be playing but maybe for money reasons too?

Alex Kennedy: Sources say if the Dallas Mavericks reach a revised agreement with Devin Harris, it's unlikely they'll continue to pursue Jamaal Tinsley.

Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA