Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: O.J. Mayo and Allen Iverson Will Be the Best Backcourt in the NBA

What is with all the hate for Allen Iverson we all have seen careers reborn when they are haters. Just look at Michael Jordan after he cost the Bulls a finals run in 1995 people said he didn't have it anymore and he came back to win 3 straight championships. I not saying AI is Jordan, but i can see reviving the Grizzlies he is a born winner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5I7ilIRJgQ

Made that high school varsity squad Batman's Avatar

They will be a good backcourt. Where's Derrick Rose and John Salmons?

According to all those articles, it seems Memphis wants Iverson to come off the bench.

If Iverson truly turned away from the Pistons bench only to jump on the Memphis bench, he is officially the stupidest player in the NBA.

Do you guys watch basketball? When did an awesome player like AI,or Kobe,Lebron,Wade etc. not need the ball in their hands? That doesnt make any sense at all. How did Kobe score 35PPG in 05-06 without the ball in his hands? Or Wade and Lebron this year? When was the last time you scored with out the ball?

NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    According to all those articles, it seems Memphis wants Iverson to come off the bench.

If Iverson truly turned away from the Pistons bench only to jump on the Memphis bench, he is officially the stupidest player in the NBA.
    if thats the case then he might as well sign wit the a contender

I dont understand this, are they saying that Mike Conley Jr. is better than AI? That doesnt make any sense.

NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18
    I dont understand this, are they saying that Mike Conley Jr. is better than AI? That doesnt make any sense.
    you dont always start your best 5. an AI/OJ backcourt would be terrible because neither are PGs and neither are passers. basically OJ would be looking to score everytime and AI would be looking to score each time. So, instead of starting them both, you just put a facilitator back there to distribute the ball evenly to all of his teammates.

I am Chris Wilcox

No, that's not it. The team is focused on the young talent, AI would be brought in just as a veteran presence. Which is stupid, because AI wants to play 40+ minutes and take as many shots as he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
    you dont always start your best 5. an AI/OJ backcourt would be terrible because neither are PGs and neither are passers. basically OJ would be looking to score everytime and AI would be looking to score each time. So, instead of starting them both, you just put a facilitator back there to distribute the ball evenly to all of his teammates.
    Where do you get that AI would be trying to score every time? AI is a great passer and passes a lot even when he had not so great players around him. Do you really think that someone would be in the NBA if the tried to score all the time.

NBA Finals

Where do you get that AI would be trying to score every time? AI is a great passer and passes a lot even when he had not so great players around him. Do you really think that someone would be in the NBA if the tried to score all the time.
    its an exaggeration dude. but AI would need the ball in his hands alot to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
    its an exaggeration dude. but AI would need the ball in his hands alot to be effective.
    He is not the best off the ball player, but I have seen him play suprisingly well off the ball.

AI does pass... but I think it's like when you back a dog into a corner... he will fall back on his instincts.

AI is a natural scorer, and needs a certain amount of shot attempts to be happy with his role. If you have Rudy Gay, OJ Mayo, Zach Randolph, and even to an extent Mike Conley (he's no slouch on FGA either) soaking up so many shot attempts...

When AI gets put into the game, he may become shell shocked and just fight to put up as many shots as possible in the limited amount of time.

I still really think whoever you inbound the ball to will shoot. They are going to need the coach of the century to break 35 games.

AI does pass... but I think it's like when you back a dog into a corner... he will fall back on his instincts.

AI is a natural scorer, and needs a certain amount of shot attempts to be happy with his role. If you have Rudy Gay, OJ Mayo, Zach Randolph, and even to an extent Mike Conley (he's no slouch on FGA either) soaking up so many shot attempts...

When AI gets put into the game, he may become shell shocked and just fight to put up as many shots as possible in the limited amount of time.

I still really think whoever you inbound the ball to will shoot. They are going to need the coach of the century to break 35 games.
    They will have an extremely talented team but, I dont think that everyone is going to be jacking up shots. If you are open, AI will pass. The one thing I dont understand is why he has to be coming off the bench when he wants to play and he can still play at an All-Star level. He can make any team better if they gave him a chance to play.

They will have an extremely talented team but, I dont think that everyone is going to be jacking up shots. If you are open, AI will pass. The one thing I dont understand is why he has to be coming off the bench when he wants to play and he can still play at an All-Star level. He can make any team better if they gave him a chance to play.
    Not so much the issue of passing... it's simply the fact that Gay, Mayo, Iverson, & Randolph WANT to create their own shot.

None of them are really good at spot up shooting, and I'd tend to think their % would go down if forced to fit that role.

Decent playground baller Thom.Yorke's Avatar

lol you do know this is a financial move right? ai is gonna be there to sell jerseys and fill the seats.