Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Mars Blackmon Lives!

Default Re: The Shaq deal: Some reasons why

i'm a little shocked that it looks so certain that he's going to another team. i hope it's dallas because i don't think he meshes with nash. i like steve kerr, but i kinda feel like riley is taking him for a ride on this one.

I usually hit open layups R11DMAN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    It looks bad, but in my personal opinion, the suns window is slowly closing, i dont think they can win it all with their current squad, so by making this trade they are deffinently gambling big time, but it could very well result in a ring if it works out...

what does miami get? i dont think marion is a good second option, i cant see miami going anywhere with him...

who cares if shaq only plays 50 games a season, he will be there when the playoffs come and thats all that matters, suns can get a top seed purely through nash, amare and their good role players...

I actually like the idea of Shaq in pheonix, i must be the only one...
    I like it too!!! Now the Rockets has one run n gun and quick double teaming squad to worry about.

KG >> Duncan, Kobe

This was a great move for the Suns. The Suns team is now like the 1988 Lakers when they had the older Kareem.

The Suns needed another big man. If Amare got in foul trouble they were pretty much done. What's the purpose of having Marion when you have Grant Hill as well?

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by kgisbigticket
    This was a great move for the Suns. The Suns team is now like the 1988 Lakers when they had the older Kareem.

The Suns needed another big man. If Amare got in foul trouble they were pretty much done. What's the purpose of having Marion when you have Grant Hill as well?
    I agree with your foul trouble analysis because after Amare it's a super dropoff... but elaborate on the Matrix vs. Hill?

I just don't get this deal at all. A few reasons...

1) DiAntoni has shown no ability, or desire to play big. It's like pulling teeth, if he absolutely has to he will. So, here's Shaq?
    2) No, the Sun do not need Shaq to run. But they need him to spread the floor when they get bogged down, their whole offense is predicated on good spacing. Here comes a big rock in the middle. Clogging the lane (when Stoudamire should be there) and allowing teams to stick with the shooters of the Suns.
    3) SHAQ IS HURT. Have people been watching this season at all?

Awful...Suns do all these ass backwards moves to cut payroll, then increase it to bring in Shaq? WTF?

I rule the local playground and1's Avatar

great initial post, exactly my developement the last day

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    1) DiAntoni has shown no ability, or desire to play big. It's like pulling teeth, if he absolutely has to he will. So, here's Shaq?
    good comparison ;)

In It to Win It

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    i'd do it if i were the suns. outside of barbosa and amare the suns arent build for the future.
    But they're trying to win now. Shaq will just make them older and slower, and that's not their style. I just don't understand this deal, and I doubt Phoenix gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by ForceOfNature
    But they're trying to win now. Shaq will just make them older and slower, and that's not their style. I just don't understand this deal, and I doubt Phoenix gets better.
    I guess people are scrambling in fear of the new twin towers in LA... making the Suns adapt to that instead of sticking to their style.

In It to Win It

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousDX
    I guess people are scrambling in fear of the new twin towers in LA... making the Suns adapt to that instead of sticking to their style.
    Yeah you never know. Although I will say one thing - Suns GM Steve Kerr is a smart man, maybe he sees something a lot of us common fans don't.

As a Suns fan, this is how I see it:
    1) Go ahead with it and trade Marion/Banks for Shaq = high risk, lower regular season wins, but potentially more rewards in the playoffs against the Lakers/Spurs/Utah etc.
    2) Decide he's too much of a fatass to pass the physical, and cancel the trade = little/no risk, 58+ wins for the season, but possibly less playoff success.

It's undeniable that this trade is a big gamble. I will feel relieved if I wake up tomorrow to find that the trade has been cancelled. I think it's just a natural human reaction against significant change. I love this team as it is. I've watched them for years playing as they have been. While I may eventually get used to watching my beloved Suns playing a slower style, it will be quite a shock initially. If the team becomes more successful as a result of the trade, then eventually I and I'm sure many others will warm to it.

Just think about it this way - how would a Houston fan react if the Rockets suddenly traded Yao Ming and Scola for Al Harrington, Monta Ellis and Baron Davis? (it's implausible but you get the idea) The team they've watched for so long suddenly changes so much. The foundation - upon which you've placed all your beliefs and opinions about the team - suddenly and drastically changes in one swift move. And whether or not fans will eventually like the team, the initial reaction will be shock.

Still, I guess I won't be overly annoyed if the trade does go through - I will definitely be a little worried as to how the team will perform. The fact that they did this mid-season is the big thing. If it happened last offseason, I wouldn't be nearly as shocked. The team will have had time to gel and work out all the kinks etc. But like this... I just don't know. How often do you see a team try to drastically change it's style mid-season?

I guess we just need to wait and see what happens. I don't think anyone can say if the team will *definitely* improve or not with the trade until the team has played a bunch of games together.

Jeez, I never thought this stuff could make me so edgy.

Quote Originally Posted by ForceOfNature
    Yeah you never know. Although I will say one thing - Suns GM Steve Kerr is a smart man, maybe he sees something a lot of us common fans don't.
    Perhaps... otherwise this could go down as one of the more memorable BONEHEAD moves.

It's obvious he didn't sign off on this. I'd be packing my bags if I were him..

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

I really think this is a bad deal. Shaq is not exactly in good shape, very old for a big, and is counter-intuitive to the Suns system. I'd be surprised if you got 40 games out of Shaq each season and who knows how much you could get out of him this season if he even makes it to the playoffs.

With the Suns run 'n gun style, does that mean they expect to have a lot of 4 on 5's as they dash up the court and Shaq is still at the other end of the court huffing and puffing? Also, does this signal the end of D'Antoni and his system?

The team is just not designed for a guy like Shaq at this point in Shaq's career, and you just can't throw him in there like this. He will break down and disrupt the Suns chemistry or not add any value.

I still can't believe this trade actually happened and Shaq is on his way to Phoenix Suns have the best record in the West so I don't get why they're so desperate to make a move. Was it just to keep Shaq away from Dallas? D'Antoni cannot be happy with this trade. Props to Kerr for having the guts to go ahead with this trade. He just helped out a lot of teams in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Allstar24
    I still can't believe this trade actually happened and Shaq is on his way to Phoenix Suns have the best record in the West so I don't get why they're so desperate to make a move. Was it just to keep Shaq away from Dallas? D'Antoni cannot be happy with this trade. Props to Kerr for having the guts to go ahead with this trade. He just helped out a lot of teams in the West
    I dno't think it happened yet